User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wish to purchase Mazda 3 MPS - Fears about engine failure issues - opinions please

I stick to the dealer servicing intervals except if I have done a track day or the like.
    If I was highly modded - aftermarket internals, turbo etc id most likely be doing 5k services.. but being stockish driving to and from work everyday in bumper to bumper traffic I hardly see the point.

So cargle

Where's you head at with this? Are you considering an MPS, still not convinced any other issues not yet raised? Another question, if not the MPS, is there any other vehicle you might be interested in? Keen to know where your at mate! To answer your question a few posts ago. It's up to you whether you wish to go dealer or private sale. I believe there is pros and cons with each. I've only ever purchased one car from a dealer before. The rest I just checked over and was happy with the price. At least it gives you a chance to meet the owner and establish some form of vehicle history. A dealer is a complete wildcard for history...

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    i think it's a bit like toyota with cruise control, ferarri 458's and burning up, XR5's and CV joints.... yeah it happens, but it becomes the real "headline" issue for a make/model
    True, however I would still place the Toyota brakes/cruise issues in a different bracket altogether.

What we are talking about is one engine in a small bracket of cars being _rumoured_ to have a high attrition rate when nobody has any statistics and sure as hell don't really know except to say that that the very few people who do have something go pop are not happy about it going pop, sure as hell aren't predisposed to accept their abuse of the vehicle as a precondition to something going pop, and as such need someone to vent at, which is inevitably the engine manufacturer.

Toyota's woes on the other hand; NASA called in by the US to analyse the ECU code regarding the cruise failures, as investigative bodies basically didn't believe that a pedal shim was ever a cause or a fix. I'm not sure if there's been anything further come of that yet. Brakes on the Prius is just shoddy workmanship. As is selling dodgy parts to other manufacturers. "My prius is a hybrid, therefore we are allowed to expect less of it, people need to learn to drive around it" is not an appropriate mentality to approach development in terms of safety, and just the fact that the brakes became a problem in any way shows that there's a huge development issue. It's not a first generation and it's supposed to be a flagship design. It suggests a development bias towards maximum profit at the expense of safety and quality.

P.S. I doubt anybody ever died because an MZR threw a rod.
    Last edited by Nexus; 21-01-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

4. Default

Hey Rogwick,

Cheers, where it stands now, I hopefully will be the owner of a 2007 Red Mazda 3 MPS, in the next couple of weeks. Having another look tomorrow, and next week just need sort out my financials

I will probably go through the dealer, as they have lowered price a little further for me, after playing hard to get . Only problem is, is that it has different black/chrome rims, which I am not a fan of, honestly just prefer the standard factory rims, maybe someone would like to do a trade on here :-D

Looking forward being an 'owner' member on here hopefully very soon.

If and when its all good, Im sure I will have lots of questions... a couple come to mind already regarding, Ipod adaptors, and handsfree kits.

Anyway, will keep you posted, thanks for all the replies ladies and gentlemen.

Ciao

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cargle View Post
    Only problem is, is that it has different black/chrome rims, which I am not a fan of, honestly just prefer the standard factory rims, maybe someone would like to do a trade on here :-D
    Dunno if that's really a problem : If you're looking at shadow chrome rims, you're probably also looking at leather interior trim and a BOSE stereo with a subwoofer.

I have a spare set of standard rims, I would be happy to exchange for shadow chrome - however I would want to get them touched up before handing them over to a new owner (bit of gravel rash)

Or you mean third party wheels?
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Michelin PS5 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - Corksport turbo manifold - HT 98 octane tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - Bespoke Raspberry Pi Android based GPS/Carplay and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold.

Sounds good mate.

I'm sure you can find some stock rims on here or maybe some other aftermarket rims down the track. The more cars you see on here the more ideas you might get for a hawt ride (if that's your thing) For example whiteminx below.

Let us know how you go with the decision, glad we could help

7. Default

Nah, its not the sportspack model, just standard. The rims are aftermarket and not appealing to me at all, but liveable until I either sell for stockies, or replace with new ones. Im getting old these days :-p so will be attempting to keep it stock

just adding to the oil change interval debate, I wouldn't use the "mazda say to do it every 10000km, they are the experts" comment. sure they are the experts, but for a fully stock car. We as enthusiast mod the car and drive more aggressively (generally). More mods, more power, hotter the engine, quicker the oil is degraded

I change my oil and filter every 5k

I use Nulon oil

I stopped Mazda servicing at 60k as I found my car came back worse than before service.

now 167000kms later I'm still cruising along with no warranty issues.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and Vodafail 3G

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post
    I change my oil and filter every 5k

I use Nulon oil

I stopped Mazda servicing at 60k as I found my car came back worse than before service.

now 167000kms later I'm still cruising along with no warranty issues.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and Vodafail 3G
    dont you mean your sister is?
    sorry, that was offtopic

as for "keeping it stock" good luck... hear someone with an exhaust and you'll be after one pretty quickly
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Angry Engine Mount problems

Hey Guys,

Have recently purchased an 06 3 MPS. Great little machine! Had it for nearly two months now.

Slight problem, the gearbox/engine assembly is resting on the subframe on the left hand side.

It would appear to me that the mount has failed. Its funny because i asked the previous owner, who was the first owner, if the recall had been done. It had. 4 years ago.

I have given the car a little nudge here and there (i mean christ, i just bought the fu$%ing thing!) but no serious things like burnouts or racing starts etc. I have just used the car in the manner for which im presuming mazda built it (IE a sports model yeah?)

I was not driving the car hard at the time. Was in the middle of peak hour, driving at 50k's and she just went BANG!, thack thwack thwack thwack......

Upon removing the lhf wheel, i discovered the above problem.

Upon lifting the bonnet, i noticed the engine listing about 3 degrees to the right.

Anyone here had this happen? Any ideas of approx cost to fix? Or any thoughts on wether or not mazda will come to the party?

This is most dissapointing!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123