User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil catch can

1. Default Oil catch can

Hi

where can i buy a oil catch can for a mps 6 ?
    i want a kit made for it and not universal

thanks

I just bought a Hyperflow unit BUT again made for a subi forester not mps6...they do have universal only thing you need to make is the mounting bracket.
    Best thing with Hyperflows CC is its made from billet alloy so its strong and well made.

4. Default

We have GReddy catch can in stock now & they fit really well on the MPS 6

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    We have GReddy catch can in stock now & they fit really well on the MPS 6
    how much for posting it to portugal ?

i just want it to avoid carbon build up , is it worth it ?

oil build up or carbon build up? catch cans are used to filter out the oil from the blowby vapour, which in turn goes through your intake

While I concur with the logic of the installation, especially in ultra-competition cars, I really wonder if adding these things to street cars is worth it. I've driven more high-performance cars than I care to recall, both wet and dry sumped, over possibly millions of kilometres, not one of them with an OCC, and not one has ever had any issues with PCV, oil discharge, contamination, etc. One might further argue that since competition cars have their engines stripped down regularly, as opposed to street cars which might run 100,000 before major overhaul, that they are unlikely to need them either. I'm not knocking it as an idea, but as a seasoned fiddler with engines and installer of automotive gizmos, I know how easy it is to convince oneself how suddenly "necessary" something can be that until a certain moment one had lived quite happily without.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

an OCC is probably needed more for engines with higher kms since the cylinder rings lets more blowby past. in any case, it may not make a huge difference, but its more something that will help keep things cleaner for longer. I don't like the idea of oil coating everything in the intake path.

9. Default

Resurrecting the thread...

Quick question to more knowledgeable forum members. I'm contemplating doing a proper clean on the valves (did the upper engine cleaner with limited success) and whilst I'm at it I'll install the JBR intake gasket. I've done an EGR delete with the Cobb AP. My question is would it be a waste of time doing a thorough valve and intake clean considering I don't have a OCC? I'm in 2 minds about it.

10. Default

Anyone?

A good clean is a good clean. Yes it would be great to have one but it won't hurt if you don't just get one later down the track

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KFuNk View Post
    A good clean is a good clean. Yes it would be great to have one but it won't hurt if you don't just get one later down the track
    Thanks mate, I'll lock myself away sometime this weekend and get it done

How many klms, ???? Inspect your intake tubes and if poss inspect your intake manifold for signs of OIL or residue .
    DISI engines ,especially turbo are well know for crud accumulation ,NO fuel going past valves to effect cleaning as well as blow by creating crank case pressure ,which in turn causes some oil vapor to enter manifold via pcv valve .
    Higher klms may well require thorough inspection and cleaning .

I'm cleaning my valves today and installing my catch can. I have 80,000kms and I'll take some photos

Peter "SLIXX"

15. Default

Yep, i'll give it a go today as well... my car is on about 57k km, and like @slixx will be taking some photos as well.

I only did the Subaru Upper engine cleaner 3 or so weeks ago, so be interesting to see the condition of the intake valves.

Just FYi I have 150k km done only put a catch can recently and haven't clean my valves will eventually. See what kinda of build after all those kms.

Default Oil catch can

Spoke to a guy at the tool and parts shop. He said a good soaking with throttle body cleaner should dissolve the carbon and turn it into a creamy gunk

After that a tank of V-Power should clean it right out

Peter "SLIXX"

18. Default

im part way through and forgot to get the transfer pump, so atm a few valves are soaking in methylated spirits.

Considering i did the Subaru upper engine clean the valves were filthy...but thats what i was expecting

Coupla pics below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6877.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	14066

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6884.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	14067
    Last edited by allo80; 27-04-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added photo

This is AFTER the Using the Subaru cleaner??!!

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    This is AFTER the Using the Subaru cleaner??!!
    Yes, after...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast