User Tag List

Thread: Outcome of my 80K km service...Advice/thoughts on replacement brakes/Discs...

Default Outcome of my 80K km service...Advice/thoughts on replacement brakes/Discs...

bought a 05/06 MPS6 earlier this year (Feb) with only one previous owner. car had 67K kms and maintained regularly. i also purchased the extended 5 star platinum warranty from the holden dealer i got the MPS6 from (i can get it serviced at anwhere thou)

ive booked it in for its 70K service 6 months ago, which was fine...and today for its 80K km service. i get it done at the same dealer which sold the car new to the original dealer as its convienient for me location wise (melville mazda for you perth WA peeps.

i was told earlier this morning by the service dept that 80K kms was a big one and they showed me a list of things they would check.

just picked it up.
    they said

- the car blowing a little bit of black smoke, which the couldnt diagnose as a problem
    - error message showed up and asked if i had replaced a batter, which i did about 4 months ago. not a biggie
    - i will need new brakes AND discs soon (in the next 2000km) will cost around $1000.

i guess its about time (for brakes), but does that price for the brakes and discs sound about right? again no biggie...i accept that its part of owning a car and also buying a 2nd hand car.

i may ring around a couple of other mazda dealers (wood bros is close to home and osbourne park is ok) as well as some authorised mazda replacement part people. ill need to do this in order to not void the extended warranty.

the car at the momment has done roughlyt 78500 kms...i plan to get the brakes/discs sorted out for when it hits 80K kms.

i dont thrash the car or go heavy on brakes, in fact i generally drive so i dont have to use my brakes unless i have to (duh)

cool story yeah? any other MPS6 owners got anything to chime in RE the above???
    Last edited by JohnnyC; 15-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Speak to greg from GSL for replacement pads and discs.
    Mazda are expensive!

^ is there a link? or are they a member on this forum?

if i get them, i will have to get an authorised mazda place to fit them? otherswise i may void my extended warranty?
    or should i just get a mate to help me install them...and just book it in for a check up?

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

i just looked up the price of front and rear brakes + Discs on MPS Garage ...and it came out to $988...thats without shipping and labour.
    $1000 i got quote today seems like a good deal...but im not 100% sure if that includes labour/fitting.

im wondering why the entire disc requires replacing...any thoughts on that?

Check the wording of your warranty, but it's usually only the scheduled servicing that you need to have done professionally so the book gets a stamp.

With other maintenance you should be able to have that done anywhere or do it yourself without affecting the warranty.

The Mazda rotors really don't have enough meat on them to be machined, so I would suggest you'll need front rotors and pads. OEM Mazda parts are hideously expensive so most people go aftermarket. For pads, Hawk and QFM are a known quantity and if you chose one of them you can't go wrong. For rotors, I would recommend DBA. They are the best in the world and you can get them from just about any auto parts store. Shop around for a good deal.

With your km's I'd be surprised if you need pads for the rear, so check them before spending money. And you absolutely should not need rear rotors unless there is a brake problem. After 100,000kms my rear rotors had no measurable wear and I expect them to last the life of the car unless I install an aggressive pad.

Gone to Volvo

GSL RallySport

I was quoted ~$900 for machining and new pads all round.. I could get brand new slotted items for that

6. Default

I fitted slotted DBA rotors + hawk pads to the front & rear of my MPS 6 the other week, feels much better than the stock setup.
    If you want to source the parts, I can fit them for you at my shop in Canning Vale.

so i received my service paperwork but nothing about the brakes. called melville mazda up today and they clarified that its only the front brakes and discs/rotors that need replacing soonish.

the quote...

Brake pads : $420
    2x rotors disc $380

Labour 1hr : $120

Total : $920 fitted

Faark that!...im getting the ones of MPS garage and going to see TBDM

im going to go with the hawk pads (shoudld i replace the rear ones anwyas?)
    and to decide which rotors/discs...the slotted ones may be the go

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    so i received my service paperwork but nothing about the brakes. called melville mazda up today and they clarified that its only the front brakes and discs/rotors that need replacing soonish.

the quote...

Brake pads : $420
    2x rotors disc $380

Labour 1hr : $120

Total : $920 fitted

Faark that!...im getting the ones of MPS garage and going to see TBDM

im going to go with the hawk pads (shoudld i replace the rear ones anwyas?)
    and to decide which rotors/discs...the slotted ones may be the go

I like to run the same pads all round. If I was to replaced the fronts with OEM pads only the fronts then....

just looking on mps garage...these are the pads im interested in...
    Front
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...s,-front-.html
    Rear
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...ads,-rear.html

but these ceramic front ones are only $10 more
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...rake-pads.html

ive also just sent an enquiry just to clarify if those items are just for one side...ie do i need to buy 2 sets to do the two fronts + 2 sets to do rear = total 4 sets

just looking on mps garage...these are the pads im interested in...
    Front
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...s,-front-.html
    Rear
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...ads,-rear.html

but these ceramic front ones are only $10 more
    http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/pro...rake-pads.html

ive also just sent an enquiry just to clarify if those items are just for one side...ie do i need to buy 2 sets to do the two fronts + 2 sets to do rear = total 4 sets
    Should be Front Set and Rear Set should be 4 pads in 1 box.... Just be careful how they word it....... Pair should be 4 pads to do the fronts or Backs...
    Last edited by 240MPS; 20-10-2010 at 02:07 PM.

im going to go with the hawk pads (shoudld i replace the rear ones anwyas?)[/FONT
    One set of pads will do both sides at one end.

I'm a fan of the stock pads, their performance is brilliant, but probably not brilliant enough to be worth $420. You should keep them in the car as long as possible. I wouldn't replace the rear pads until they are worn to less than the thickness of the backing plate.

Gone to Volvo

arrgh now comes the dilema...

should i get -

front DBA slotted Rotors + Front Hawk Ceramic pads (total $311+180)
    now.

and sort hte rear out when it needs to. (another $311+$129

or just replace the whole lot at the same time (havent checked how much wear the rear pads have left)

Front + rear DBA slotted + matching front and rear pads. ($921)

Do the fronts. Slotted and ceramic. forget the rears unless they are really worn. I changed front three times, rears were still original and fine.

It has been said Mazda pads are brilliant and I must agree but just too expensive.
    Last edited by TUFMPS; 20-10-2010 at 02:17 PM.

just clarified with the service and they advised my rears checked out ok with an estimate
    15000 to 20000 kms left in them. at this stage...it looks like ill just order the front rotors/discs and ceramic hawk pads for now and change the rears later.