User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dsc off!!!!

Default Dsc off!!!!

so after owning my 06 MPS6 for 6 months (666!!!)
    ive only JUST discovered the DSC OFF button.

holy crap its like a diffrent car...ive been missing out!!! and now have to relearn how to drive the car. but i love it...steering feels lighter, quicker accelearation and more fun...in fact the car feels less boat like with it off.

? do most of you lot drive with it off all the time?

The only time I turn it off is when I launch, because the traction control has a habit of breaking the left rear axle.

Haven't had the 6MPS on the racetrack yet to make a comparison, but I can say from experience that the gen2 3MPS is quicker on a wet racetrack with the DSC on.

I drive with it off most of the time. Reason being, if I wish to launch it, its quite important you don't dump it whilst ABS and DSC is trying to harness the power. Something has got to give, and it has with other members! I hope you haven't been driving too hard with it on (having just discovered it) If I'm driving the the wet with people in the car, not looking to have fun, I will have it activated for safety. But for the most part its always off. You can still have fun in the wet and AWD handles it ok. Although I have been completely sideways in the dry with it off!

Not sure what you mean about the steering as I can't feel a difference, however I don't drive with it on enough to be able to tell a difference! Mate, you've been missing out though big time! You must have thought the car was 'ok' until you found this button! Take a couple of wide turns at a slightly higher speed in the wet (controlled environment recommended) and it slides out but grips at the same time. Not to mention, throttle out a corner and the back end steps out.

Now you know about it, switch it off if you intend to drive hard (launch, race etc) You might save yourself a new drive shaft/diff/axle. Oh, and if you haven't already, consider lowering the MPS. Becomes a whole different car. I guarantee you will like it!!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

I usually turn mine off when i need a quick smooth getaway from the lights on a wet day. That was when i had the stock tyres on...

^ +1

Majority of the time mine is left on. No rear axles to break on a 3MPS

You get a quicker launch with the DSC turned off Mech81? I've tried a couple times but i get more wheelspin. While cruising ill turn it off if i remember and its dry outside, but ill turn DSC back on when launching. Doesn't it result in better grip?

Haha. Am I missing out on something here due to my own stupid logic?

I would assume the DSC system is more capable the most drivers skill level (including my own !) so for the less skilled driver launching with DSC on would probably provide more benefit....thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by kookie View Post
    I would assume the DSC system is more capable the most drivers skill level (including my own !) so for the less skilled driver launching with DSC on would probably provide more benefit....thoughts ?
    Interesting point. Having DSC on and taking a quick (wet) corner can actually make you crash IMO. I have not experienced much of it myself but the Stability program counter acts what you want to do. For example, it does not control the steering. If you slide out, it will over-correct and cause you to steer an alternate direction. Would be interesting to have a complete and comprehensive go at the DSC in a controlled environment.

DSC OFF: Turn left, gas it hard, the rear will step out to the right
    DSC ON: Turn left, gas it hard, TC kicks in, Stability control kicks in the vehicle attempts to correct the rear stepping out and consequently you over correct.

Like I said I have not had a comprehensive look at it, but I know the vehicle does not react the way you expect it to with DSC on, therefore it is not 'always' a good thing. The idea behind it is if you're travelling along and something cuts in front of you, you swerve, too much, swerve opposite direction...crash. DSC controls the wheels from slipping so after the initial swerve, maximum traction is kept (traction control) ensuring a safe recovery from the initial first and violent swerve. It was designed to save lives on open roads.

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    You get a quicker launch with the DSC turned off Mech81? I've tried a couple times but i get more wheelspin. While cruising ill turn it off if i remember and its dry outside, but ill turn DSC back on when launching. Doesn't it result in better grip?

Haha. Am I missing out on something here due to my own stupid logic?
    just my own experience tone... i found when the road is really wet and greasy, the dsc cuts in too much and what happens is similar to wheel hopping in the dry when the DSC alternates quickly cutting in and out power. I do get a bit of wheelspin but its less disconcerting that what happens with the DSC when I feather the throttle without DSC on. Quicker i'm not sure a less bumpy launch definitely

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    just my own experience tone... i found when the road is really wet and greasy, the dsc cuts in too much and what happens is similar to wheel hopping in the dry when the DSC alternates quickly cutting in and out power. I do get a bit of wheelspin but its less disconcerting that what happens with the DSC when I feather the throttle without DSC on. Quicker i'm not sure a less bumpy launch definitely
    OK cool. Ill give it a shot next time. but I have seen people always saying they turn it off when they are doing a 1/4 run and stuff. So there must be a benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Interesting point. Having DSC on and taking a quick (wet) corner can actually make you crash IMO. I have not experienced much of it myself but the Stability program counter acts what you want to do. For example, it does not control the steering. If you slide out, it will over-correct and cause you to steer an alternate direction. Would be interesting to have a complete and comprehensive go at the DSC in a controlled environment.

DSC OFF: Turn left, gas it hard, the rear will step out to the right
    DSC ON: Turn left, gas it hard, TC kicks in, Stability control kicks in the vehicle attempts to correct the rear stepping out and consequently you over correct.

Like I said I have not had a comprehensive look at it, but I know the vehicle does not react the way you expect it to with DSC on, therefore it is not 'always' a good thing. The idea behind it is if you're travelling along and something cuts in front of you, you swerve, too much, swerve opposite direction...crash. DSC controls the wheels from slipping so after the initial swerve, maximum traction is kept (traction control) ensuring a safe recovery from the initial first and violent swerve. It was designed to save lives on open roads.
    Pretty much right there Rog. I've had exactly that situation where the DSC reacted *wildly* and cranked the car about 75 degrees too hard around a corner, very nearly ate the guard barrier! That said, after that situation, I knew how it would react in the future. It's not overly important which way the car reacts to any situation. It's the driver pre-empting / reacting correctly to what the car is doing (and is about to do) thats important.

I'll note that in every day driving, even *very* spirited driving, I've never had the DSC do something unexpected. The situation I had was a result of oil on the road causing massive understeer and then and 4 wheel slide as the rear wheels also hit the oil. My understanding is that this was cause more by the EBD than the DSC as a whole. (The EBD strives to apply braking force to the wheels with the most grip at any one time, whereas the dsc will endevour to keep the car pointed in the right direction. In sticky situations, these two systems can clash making it anyones guess how you end up! Common sense says to me that EBD should be disengaged, handing over to the stability control, as stopping isn't always the right answer, but damn sure you always want steering!)

On the track the 'alternate' dsc disable method should be used. (the one where the car is started whilst holding down the dsc button) This disables the ABS as well as the traction / stability control. IIRC just pressing the button while the car is running will still give you ABS if you have a brake lockup. Realise that ABS is not designed to make you stop in a shorter distance, but to provide directional control a full brake lockup.
    Last edited by Scaredycrow; 18-08-2010 at 01:31 PM.

FWIW...i havent been launchng the car (my defnition of launching is holding the revs at say 3-4000rpm and dumping hte clutch) at all. just driving normally. but there are 3-4 nice long curves roads where i reallly give it some stick in 3-4gear everyday to work and back...all the time with DSC on

today...well...lets just say i ended up slightly off the road in one of those curves. and another curve i accelerated into resulted in some very nice tingling of the hairs in the back of my neck.

seriously everything i complaind about the car (mainly to do with heavish steering which i thought was part of the big wheels/AWD) is GONE with the DSC off!!!
    i also felt the car had too much grip in dry conditions BUT was perfect in the wet with DSC on.
    now i think i have the best of both worlds...but will defnitely be trying DSC off in the wet once i relearn/adjusts to how the mps6 handles iwht dsc off.

OK cool. Ill give it a shot next time. but I have seen people always saying they turn it off when they are doing a 1/4 run and stuff. So there must be a benefit from it.
    in my experience, the traction control component over-reacts badly. It cuts the engine right back giving you the feeling you just hit a brick wall lol. A decent driver can regulate throttle on their own according to wheelspin better than the automatic tractionj controlled designed for use by a very large cross section of everyday drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredycrow View Post
    in my experience, the traction control component over-reacts badly. It cuts the engine right back giving you the feeling you just hit a brick wall lol. A decent driver can regulate throttle on their own according to wheelspin better than the automatic tractionj controlled designed for use by a very large cross section of everyday drivers.
    Is the feeling you are talking about sort of like bogging down? A few times ill get revs up, take off but it will bog down. is that something else?

It's not a subtle feeling at all. You'll know all about it when it happens! There will be and angry orange light on the dash flashing at you as well

Ive never turned it off... Always imagined massive flames coming out the back with side panels coming up just like in MiB.. lol.

But reading the above, sounds like there is a big difference in experience withDSC off between the 3 and the 6

I never turn mine off, not really deserving of the name Leehoon

I've been driving for 17 years but have never done a defensive driving course or been in a bad situation or accident whilst driving so don't feel I would know how to handle my Gen 2 if anything happened.

Is the feeling you are talking about sort of like bogging down? A few times ill get revs up, take off but it will bog down. is that something else?
    I get this too sometimes.
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

With DSC turned on, How do we actually know when DSC kicks in?

thats when you've put it in 3rd and not 1st !! jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Los Palmas7 View Post
    With DSC turned on, How do we actually know when DSC kicks in?
    You will know about it if your going around a corner fast! But in a straight line, the dash light (more-a-less in the top middle of the instrument cluster) flashes. Image below is not of an MPS but just to get the idea

M P S

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast