User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITCHING for a front lip (mazda 6 mps)

What screws do you think?

8g-10g about 25mm long, Maybe shorter? Let me know and i'll get them (Free of charge)

I'll have to have a look and see but off memory the screw only needs to go through about 5mm plastic, add the rubber which would be around 10mm, so I guess 25mm sounds about right. I would imagine 25mm long would be enough, possibly shorter depending on clearance (but I don't think there's an issue). I was thinking something around 10-12g. I'll need washers too unless the ones it comes with are ok

Hey guys, sorry for the delay but it would appear that Amazon has sent me the wrong rubber. The image on the item for sale led me to believe it was "hard rubber". They've listed the item incorrectly and instead they sent me just the normal soft one. I've contacted them (Very helpful and quick response) and they've confirmed it was a error and have sent out another (hopefully hard rubber this time) They told me I could keep the old one, at this stage, provided I get it this week (expected) the install may be this weekend coming...apologies
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00182..jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	3731  

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hey,
    hope everything is going A ok with amazon.
    I hope you have fun doing the lip, nothing like a good diy.

Anthony

I've created a "How To" DIY front lip thread here and moved the relevant posts. Some great work here which will be easier to find in the "How To" forums

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-t...tml#post109778

Hey again guys,
    that lip turned out real good.

I found a photo on the internet which steered me away from the rubber seal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rubber lip..jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	3896

I'm in the middle of fibreglassing a front lip.
    I was going to make it something like this

Name:	mazda3..jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	3897
    But fatter and let it come out a tad more, to make it look more like a splitter.
    However, I just bought some coil overs (awaiting delivery), I don't think fibreglass will be a good idea since i already scrape at stock height.

I'm just going to wait on some sort of a polyurethane lip that will hopefully come out.

Thanks though guys for the email and giving me more than just an idea. You have more than answered my initial question to open this thread.

Anthony

Actually mate, thanks for opening the thread an bringing fourth the challenge! That first photo you found. Seems like the owner did not screw the rubber down? There does not appear to be any holes in the rubber. Unless it was in fact srewed down but the screws were too far apart? For the moment I'm still happy with mine. I do have spare if it happens to deteriorate or fall off/rip etc. I still think the proper harder rubber (which was my intention) would be better suited and would hold up a lot better than the product I have on there now.

Fibreglassing a lip would be ok, well, actually it would look sweet, but one hit and its game over start again. In that respect I've never really been keen on modified bumpers and Lips cause they cost a fortune and break easy. Be careful after you get the coilovers installed, the ride height will change drastically. Be mindful where you're taking your vehicle and any bumps. Sounds like a good idea though. You gonna post up pics once you done right?! lol

Keep us updated, and no worries, Toddy and I were happy to help, this thread ended up helping not only yourself, being the one that started it! We were happy to have a crack and display some results for all to see and chat about.

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Hey again guys and rogwick.
    Yeah sure i'll post up a photo for you.

I'm only half way there, i created something which ended up being too long so i had to cut it down. Here are some photos. Don't mind the openings of the front lip, that's where i cut it. I need to re-fibreglass them openings.

Tell me what you guys think (i've got my flamesuit on). Flame away or give me some of your opinions. Because i'm still making it maybe i can incorporate your opinions.
    I've tried to make the sides of the lip flow from where the stock bumper edges are at the bottom. The lip still needs a lot of rounding on the sides.

Name:	lip2..jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	3903

Name:	lip1..jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	3904
    Last edited by 6mps; 11-01-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Hi 6mps, looks like a good start will be interested to see the finished product

I've just come back from a trip down south to the Busselton / Margaret river area where the front lip got a good work out on the bumpy gravel roads. At one place i parked a bit close to the kerb and bent the lip backwards but once i moved the car it sprung back into place like nothing had happened. I can also say that its been wind speed tested to 150+km/h without any issues. So it appears to be quite durable

Anthony, the Front lip looks promising, will be good seeing the finished product. Looks a lot more difficult to fabricate than our simple job. How do you intend mounting it to the bumper? Can it be fastened with screws or similar? Yeah I think at the moment, based on your photo's it looks perhaps a bit long (sticks out a fair bit) One more thing. are you going to paint it just a normal black or match the car colour? Keep us posted!

Hey guys,

i'm about to work in ICU so i've been busy doing a lot of preparation.
    Haven't had time to do the lip.
    I probably won't finish the lip until a few months, not planning to rush it.
    Just planning to have it sitting on the side as a hobby when i have time.

I am going to colour match it, and it will be mountable with screws.

I will post photos once it's done, but probably not until a few months.
    I will keep you guys posted.

hey guys,
    HELP please!

Ok so i've finished fabricating my front lip.
    This is how it looks.

However, I'm stuck on how to mount it.

thanks in advance.
    Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	painted..jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	4161  
    Last edited by 6mps; 11-01-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Hi Mate,

The lip looks good. Great work

You might be able to mount the lip the same way i did by bolting it to the underside of the existing centre lip. You should be able to see the bolts i'm talking about in the pics below cos they are silver.. They will be changed out to black soon so they are not visible.

Hope this helps

Hi Anthony,

First of all good work on the Front lip. It's starting to look great!

About fitting it, around the sides of the bumper you can screw in from the underside up through the bumper which means you won't see any screws that way and should hold pretty good. Like Toddy mentioned and as in his posted images, some screws from the top of the lip-vane down with a nut on the underside should work. Possibly use black bolts if you do not wish to see any bolts on top of that existing black lip-vane. Some other ideas which I would have in my head is an adhesive to work in addition to screws? I if were you I would have a browse at shops or ask around to find the best. I've used plumbers silicone before and know that, when set can be a pretty tough bonding agent. It really sticks and seals (when dry) when applying it seems useless so you may have to clamp the lip on. Once again, silicone is just an idea you may have to look at your local hardware or ask staff on what would be better suited. Super-glue for example would be useless.

Not sure if you have to pre-drill holes into the lip so its doesn't split. I'm not familiar with working with the product you have. But if it were me, to mount it, I would be thinking somewhere along the lines of what's mentioned above, self drilling screws, washers, nuts, bolts, adhesive of some sort. You may also be able to get black silicone that when dry has a great bonding strength?? Maybe look into it? That's all I really got to help ya (if that helps at all lol)

M P S

Hey guys!
    it's been a while since last post.
    Just thought i'd update you guys, if you're still interested that is.

Now.....while taking in your advices to figure out how to mount this front lip. I stumbled across a ABS PLASTIC front lip.
    So i quickly went to have a look at it. Especially when i was keen on a plastic or PU front lip.

I saw it advertised on ozmazda.com from a vendor, the lip is for a 09 mazda 6 (normal mazda 6). It was from On The Run motorsports in clayton Victoria.
    The lip actually sat flush on my mps front bumper so i snatched it up.
    This is what it looks like

Name:	6li..jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	4405

They were also selling universal side skirts, and universal rear pods. I bought them as well. I wasn't feeling the rear pods so i had to modify them.
    They originally looked like this

Name:	UNIFADTMFA..jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	4406
    But the rising bit wasn't flowing with anything, it was too short for the lower door trims, or the side skirt itself.
    So i cut it out and fibreglassed it.

Name:	fix..jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	4407
    Then i painted it all the colour of my car.

Name:	25062010110..jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	4408

Although i used heaters, the weather still let me down, The clear coat froze on me, it became milky. Pretty disappointed, but i'm not going to repaint it. So i had to cut back the paint then wax it. Thought i'd make a flying mazda logo to show you guys. This is a photo with the wax on it.

Name:	27062010117..jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	4409
    While waxing it, i figured it was that time of the month.
    Yeah, time to wax the car it was. Do you guys ever wax your car and pretend it's a concept car? or pretend that the dried up wax looks like carbon fibre and your whole car is super light weight? like this?

Hahaha, please excuse the phone quality pics.

Well, i will let you guys know when i screw this lip on! it's been raining cold and i've been working some weird shifts. The life of a nurse.

Thanks for the update. I'll be waiting to see what it all looks like.

Can't say i've ever pretended that my car was a concept car or carbon fibre But my car is white so when i wax it it still looks white..

And it's on!
    Here are some happy snaps.
    Enjoy

Name:	27062010125..jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	4421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lipkit..jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	4422
    It scraped on the drive way already!
    I'm not even lowered yet. So what are your thoughts?

Anthony

That looks pretty good mate. I see you have rear and side skirts too! Sorry I don't think of my car being a concept car either, but I'm glad waxing makes you happy. Rather it makes me tired and thinking "this better look good" The lip looks pretty good on, my only thing (and this is a personal note) I would prefer a rounded finish to match the curves and contours of the bumper, rather than the square edging. but it definitely gives a sharp look from the front and gives the car something I think it needed. It looks more serious now! Good work I must say and congrats on fabricating and fitting. Always good when its a custom DIY job that turns out great!

Not too good about it scraping, but I guess that can be expected. I guess you have to be extra careful if you consider lowing her?! Also, are you thinking rims or retaining the stock rims? Either way it will look good lowered. I like the way it flares out though, probably not a good thing in terms of scraping cause technically it makes you car longer, but it looks sweet. Mine and Dans pretty much drop down, nice to see a lip stick out!

Congrats on the finalisation of the project

M P S

I will post up some more pics once i lower it. I bought some cusco's of someone in this forum so once they're on you'll see.
    I'd like to get some rims so they can fit flush under the pumped guards/fenders. But, i don't have the funds. Other things on priority like the house and wife.
    Thanks for the congratz and thanks to everyone who put in input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12