User Tag List

Thread: MPS 3 Problems/Which Model To Buy

1. Default MPS 3 Problems/Which Model To Buy

Hi Guys, im new to this forum, but i currently drive an N15 Nissan Pulsar SSS, with the SR20DE in it, its a great car, no problems, just a good dailey, ive done a little bit of work to it, like cams, exhaust, intake, bit of a tune and just upgraded the valve train to cope, it goes well, but is nothing compared to something with boost.

Im about to get off my ps, and was looking at the MPS 3's as i love the hot hatch thing, and the MPS's are a bit of a sleeper, my mates got a turboed Pulsar with about 180kw atw, and its actually really nice to drive, lol well if you like the sound of straight cut gears, its very quick and fairly reliable.

Ive seen a few post on here about problems with the MPS's i just wanna know what sorts of problems i should be looking for when i go to have a look/drive of a few in my area, now ive also seen people post something about Series 1 and Series 2 MPS 3's, can anyone explain the difference to me please?

Also with having 190kw's what are they like to drive on a day to day basis, in all weather conditions, and how does the driveline hold up to the power?

Basically, what i want to know is there any particular model that i should be looking for?

Oh and last but not least, do the MPS's only come out in about 4 colours or something? the ones ive looked at have only been red, a bluey grey colour, black, and blue?

Thanks in advance guys, and sorry about the novel..

Hey Bud,

The Series 1 MPS3 (06-07) had a few problems but overall was a good car. The Turbo seals, Water Pump & Engine bolt are the main offenders for failing. The Series 2 (08) had the Turbo "Upgraded" to fix the Turbo seal issue but i think there is still the occasional one that has let go. They also got some cosmetic upgrades like seat and dash trim upgrades.

Series 1 Colours
    True Red
    Cosmic Blue
    Black
    Aurora Blue

Series 2 Colours
    True Red
    Aurora Blue
    Black
    Grey

As for being a daily, they are fine. Easy to drive at low revs and then punch the throttle and your in license losing territory

Hope that helps champ
    Alcohol - Some Of The Best Times, You Will Never Remember

3. Default

Thats great thanks alot for that mate, much appreciated. So basically just look for a series 2 and i should be okay.

Yeah Series 2 if you have the 30K+ for one, go for it. They will also have warranty left on them as well so if something does happen, it wont cost you to get it fixed.

Once you drive one, you will be hooked. They are a very fun car to drive in and the OzMps crew are a great bunch to catch up with and cruise around with

Good Luck Champ

Welcome Timmy, good hunting for your MPS and enjoy the forums!

6. Default

Thanks again guys. I dont get off my ps for a while yet, just doing some research on them for now, ive always loved them though, such an aggressive looking car, whats the handling like with them? Do many people change the springs/shocks/put coilovers on them?

hey tim another pga r.... i just bought a new mps lux..luv it better than the vzr lol.... nah both good like

Quote Originally Posted by desssa View Post
    hey tim another pga r.... i just bought a new mps lux..luv it better than the vzr lol.... nah both good like
    I am an old PGAer too! There are quite a few of us on here

Welcome!!!!!

Where are you located Timmy?
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by desssa View Post
    Haha, i am indeed i love the idea of a turboed FWD car, but i didnt want to turbo my pulsar, its a bit of work, and then you have engineering etc etc.

Well ud know my mates car then its jamies old moody blue N15 SSS "BO05TT" runs 12.3 quarters im pretty sure, there has been alot of money spent on it, but id rather buy something that has decent power out of the box kinda thing.

Thanks Jmac, im in the Newcastle area, well East Maitland, what about you guys?

The Newcastle area of PGA is terrible at the moment, noone has any motivation to do anything at all.

Just out of interest what sort of insurance are you guys paying for an MPS 3?

Ill be roughly 20 - 21 by the time i get to buy one, is there anyone around that age bracket to give me a rough idea?

Cheers again guys, this forum has a better vibe about it than the PGA one too, like im a p plater atm, but even i get sick of all the dumb kids asking how to make their N/A Pulsar sound like it has a BOV

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    Haha, i am indeed i love the idea of a turboed FWD car, but i didnt want to turbo my pulsar, its a bit of work, and then you have engineering etc etc.

Well ud know my mates car then its jamies old moody blue N15 SSS "BO05TT" runs 12.3 quarters im pretty sure, there has been alot of money spent on it, but id rather buy something that has decent power out of the box kinda thing.

Thanks Jmac, im in the Newcastle area, well East Maitland, what about you guys?

The Newcastle area of PGA is terrible at the moment, noone has any motivation to do anything at all.

Just out of interest what sort of insurance are you guys paying for an MPS 3?

Ill be roughly 20 - 21 by the time i get to buy one, is there anyone around that age bracket to give me a rough idea?

Cheers again guys, this forum has a better vibe about it than the PGA one too, like im a p plater atm, but even i get sick of all the dumb kids asking how to make their N/A Pulsar sound like it has a BOV
    A few years ago PGA was a top place to be, Im sure its still quite good, but as prices drop....

I cant remember how much insurance was, I am 23 and its between 1 and 2k.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Dont confuse Series 1 and Series 2 with Gen1 and Gen2 though.....now thats a whole different kettle of fish

Gen1 (06-08)

Gen2 (09-current shape)

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    A few years ago PGA was a top place to be, Im sure its still quite good, but as prices drop....

I cant remember how much insurance was, I am 23 and its between 1 and 2k.
    Haha, ur not wrong about the prices dropping, i see where your coming from.

Oh thats pretty good actually, i paid $1700 for my SSS, as it has "lots of modifications" according to the insurance company haha so long as its not 3 or 4 grand, im pretty sure thats what WRX's and EVO's are up to these days.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Oh thanks "MISSMPS" i had a feeling that "Gen 2" meant the new MPS, im not a huge fan of the Gen 2 MPS's to be honest, the bonnet scoop is a good idea, but they just look too..."asian" maybe? i dunno exactly what it is, or is it just me? lol