User Tag List

Thread: Carbon fiber hood

Default Carbon fiber hood

does anyone here have one of the fibre images vented hoods like the one from MPS garage. Just want to know if you can get them in any colour or is it just black. would love some pics.
    cheers
    jimmy

Hey Jimmy, I haven't heard of anyone with one of the CF bonnets but I have heard that you can paint Carbon Fibre, Also they probably won't be legal here due to the pedestrian impact thing and how pedestrians are supposed to bounce off the factory bonnets, but then with a painted CF you'd never know
    Cheers
    Chris

Blog Entries

As Chris put it, not legal but if your after looks just get it vinyl or get one lay put on the top.

I know of someone with a NA mazda 3 with a carbon fibre bonnet and I am pretty sure its more the colour of the carbon grey the mazda 3s came out in.

I would guess Jimmy is talking about the different colours in the weave of the CF itself, from memory they incorporate a coloured kevlar into the black carbon, giving it a coloured chequerboard type effect.

But as mentioned, a very illegal mod, but if your just interested in painting the bonnet (which defeats the purpose of CF, except for weight savings) I doubt anyone would notice, unless your involved in a crash.

Cheers guys, was more after the different colours in the weave as per MattMPS3 on MPSGARAGEs vented bonnet - the one with the WRX style letter box. Woulda looked mint with velocity red. Cant see the point in painting over carbon fibre or vinyling over my current one with fake fibre. Now there's legal requirements bugger that, I'll . Bloody pedestrians.
    You watch, I'll get cleaned up whislt trying to walk across the road now. -by someone with a carbon fibre vented bonnet.

If your car is involved in a crash with a carbon fibre bonnet there is a good chance you wont make it. The reason carbon fibre bonnets are illegal is in the event of an impact they do not shatter or brake, the bonnet would be forced back through the cabin.

Would be like putting a warm knife through butter

I thought it was that they didn't crumple or bend, but shatter when blunt force is applied.

plus they shrink when wet.

is it only CF bonnets that are illegal? or does it include other CF items too?

sorry guys but I have to say I have not heard more crap about cf bonnets than I have read above and that goes for any of the many forums im a member of.

Since I AM the only mazda three that I know of that actually owns a CF hood here are a bit of info about them (i did my research before I got it)

1. Yes most are illegal, reason is they dont have the crash data that complies with ADR's, main reason is that they do not have the sub/underside cross members and reinforcements of normal bonnets. There is a company in brissy that builds CF/Fiberglass bonnets that do comply with ADR's

2. Yes during a car on car accident the CF bonnet will bend a little then break into (large) chunks that are still connected to the rest of the bonnet by the strands in the weave. The bonnet will NOT be forced back through the cabin, and the chunks will be like normal broken fibre glass but will not fly round cutting everything in to slices. so
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    I thought it was that they didn't crumple or bend, but shatter when blunt force is applied.
    is pretty close.

3.During a pedestrian accident the bonnet actually bends and absorbs the shock but due to the 1:1000000 risk that the bonnet breaks and possibly cuts the person they are hard to get through adr's.

4. CF bonnets do not shrink when wet.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Quote Originally Posted by A Pirate View Post
    4. CF bonnets do not shrink when wet.
    I was kidding

A bit surprised I was not called on this a lot earlier
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

yes I knew you were BUT some people out there will quote this some time later and take it as gospel.

Yeah you right, I just thought that my post was crazy enough for people to pick up on it or at least question it you know?... like : "they shrink?..how is that possible?"

Hehe

ROFL Nirvandan you're a classic. Shrinking when wet. .

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    Yeah you right, I just thought that my post was crazy enough for people to pick up on it or at least question it you know?... like : "they shrink?..how is that possible?"

Hehe

you would think so but ive made similar out there statements making jest of issues and discovered fools have taken it and quoted it to others.
    MAZDA 3 SP23 : XFORCE : EIBACH : WHITELINE : AUTOEXE : CORKSPORT : KMAC : TWM : AFX :SCANGUAGE 2 : XHP : KUMO : CARBON PRODUCTS : AERO BODY STYLING : BLAUPUNKT : INFINITY : TOMTOM : SPARKSECRET.COM : MONZA : AERPRO : JBS Customs : FHRX EARTHING KIT : DYNAMATT : UNIDEN : RFI : iPOD : STINGER : REDLINE Tuning :

SUBARU FORESTER MY10 XT-P
    : TCP AUTO : HYPERFLOW : PERRIN : WHITELINE : STi : BREMBO : BEATRUSH : TURBOSMART : LENSO : PULSE RACING TUNE @ 182 AWKW

Quote Originally Posted by WASpd6 View Post
    ROFL Nirvandan you're a classic. Shrinking when wet. .
    Ohhhh be quiet I bet if it wasn't for Pirate, you would still believe CF hoods shrink when wet
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

Just a heads up for anyone in WA
    If you have a newer car and you start fitting carbon fibre boots, bonnets etc the "force" will pull you over and ask alot of questions ..
    They dont like carbon fibre at all - make sure you get the engineers cert etc

You could always use the product Marc used on his SP20 interior

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...ct-sp20-3.html

3M US: Graphic Solutions: Product Catalog

And Al I don't think this one will shrink when it gets wet

20. Default

I've found this bonnet and think it looks hot. Can't find any info though to say if the stock intercooler venting will fit up though, or if it actually fits the mps 3

2004-2009 Mazda 3 HB M Speed Carbon Fiber Hood

2004-2009 Mazda 3 HB M Speed Carbon Fiber Hood