User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Mazda produce a new AWD MPS?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a new MPS6

41 30.15%
  • Yes, an MPS3 with AWD

45 33.09%
  • Yes, both a new MPS6 and MPS3 with AWD

49 36.03%
  • No

1 0.74%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Mazda produce a new AWD MPS?

Default Should Mazda produce a new AWD MPS?

With the decision to not produce a next generation MPS6, and also the decision to not make the new MPS3 available with AWD, Mazda enthusiasts have been left without an AWD option.

Lets make this a global effort and invite all the Mazda enthusiasts we know to cast their vote in this poll to let Mazda know there is genuine demand for an AWD MPS.
    Last edited by kmh001; 28-10-2009 at 06:42 PM.

i just think they need to bring out the 2MPS they have both the 3 & 6 why not a 2 i think sales would be alot more then they think

Yes to both, this way the development cost of the AWD components can be shared across two models.

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Yes to both, this way the development cost of the AWD components can be shared across two models.
    Across all makes too ....Volvo

I think the only reason is weight to be honest.

Japan already get AWD in their base model 3 as option

I think Mazda need to develop the brand MPS more....like HSV and FPV etc...

Release 2, 3, 6, RX-8 and maybe the CX-7 for the hot head SUV owners.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Just the 6, I think the 3 is a great performer as it is and AWD would just get in the way of fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    I'd buy one as they are now if it weren't for their crappy gearboxes.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by spastic View Post
    i just think they need to bring out the 2MPS they have both the 3 & 6 why not a 2 i think sales would be alot more then they think
    +1

thats wishful thinking Spas but the 6MPS and the idea of a AWD 3MPS is
    from Orange NSW

A new 6MPS definitely.

New 6 for sure, a AWD MPS 3 would be nice but it would only be a STi competitor, the FWD should still exist.

A 2 MPS would be awesome, but i dont think a turbo would be the way to go, most of its target customers would be worried about associated insurance issues. But a bigger more powerful motor would be good. Fit the 2ltr from the 3, compete against the Fiesta XR4 and the now gone Barina SRi.
    A VW polo GTi competitor 2MPS with a small turbo would be the best, but the bigger motor more realistic (unless its to heavy)

Bigger motor is 2 <2.0L donk> would also give a bigger field as *P* plate drivers could purchase and drive them...

Turbo will narrow down the market.....but would be an awesome competitor if they marketed it right.

The Corsa VXR had a 1.6L Turbo and made about 130Kw

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Quote Originally Posted by spastic View Post
    yeah good idea man
    HKS cat back, CES SRI, DENSO Iridium cold plugs,MZR Shifter Base Bushings... more to come! got the mod bug!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duglet View Post

Happy Motoring
    duglet
    take it to em...
    but more basic designs like gen1....
    '
    'BRISBANE AUTOSHINE' MOBILE CAR DETAILING
    1300 35 65 95
    0406 427 269
    antony@autoshine.com.au
    www.autoshine.com.au
    GIFT VOUCHERS AND CLUB DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE**

Voted a new MPS6

Even with AWD the new MPS3 would still look

As an OPTION from the baseline MPS -

*6 SPEED SEQUENTIAL AUTO (6 speed manual standard)
    *AWD Option for all models(2 and 3MPS) (bar the 6 MPS which would be AWD standard)
    *Mazdaspeed Performance Package (Uprated: suspension, brakes, intercooler, injectors and fuel pump) (for instance )
    Last edited by nissanman; 11-11-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks to everyone who has voted. 46 votes so far and none of them say no to an AWD MPS.

I'd love to get a few hundred votes then take it to Mazda.

15. Default

I'll be the first one...
    No to AWD. Mazda has not been in modern WRC (besides the 323 4WD Turbo that won only 3 races) . Any AWD model would still be regarded as inferior by AWD car enthusiasts to Mitsu and Subaru cars (even though they now no longer participate in WRC)

Just put a Revo Knuckle on it like the Focus RS - after all Mazda and Ford should share technology....
    Last edited by wyvernone; 30-11-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: correction

You don't need to be in WRC to justify AWD. The handling alone speaks for itself. The problem is that this causes some folks to align the car with Subi doof-doofs and Evos. It isn't and never has been pitched at that market.

The other reason it is getting that sort of perception is that 2nd hand prices are coming down to the point where rev-head boy racers are getting their hands on them. The car is in fact pitched at a true GT mode (i.e 4 door high speed luxury touring), at which it excels. This places it more accurately though perhaps not quite in the Jaguar type of league than in rough riding noisy little shit-boxes that would be of zero interest if they hadn't been beefed up for rallying by virtue of their basic qualifying status with AWD.

As with the early Mk2 Jaguars, the low 1st and 2nd gears alone make it less suited to off-the mark drags at the lights, and out of consideration for the transmission I don't believe in sticking the boot in in low gears anyway.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    You don't need to be in WRC to justify AWD. The handling alone speaks for itself. The problem is that this causes some folks to align the car with Subi doof-doofs and Evos. It isn't and never has been pitched at that market.

The other reason it is getting that sort of perception is that 2nd hand prices are coming down to the point where rev-head boy racers are getting their hands on them. The car is in fact pitched at a true GT mode (i.e 4 door high speed luxury touring), at which it excels. This places it more accurately though perhaps not quite in the Jaguar type of league than in rough riding noisy little shit-boxes that would be of zero interest if they hadn't been beefed up for rallying by virtue of their basic qualifying status with AWD.

As with the early Mk2 Jaguars, the low 1st and 2nd gears alone make it less suited to off-the mark drags at the lights, and out of consideration for the transmission I don't believe in sticking the boot in in low gears anyway.
    And I'll add that I love my AWD 6 for most of the reasons Doug posted! Also there are numerous other makes with AWD and no current Rally credentials so this is not really a consideration to manufacturers but rather cost or more precisely profitability which is why they lean towards FWD or cost cutting measures (ie cabin quality of the EVO's and WRX's etc they've got the go-fast bits, but miss out on a decent cabin and bit of luxury)

So again, Please Mazda I'll have a new MPS 6 in AWD and I'm prepared to pay for it too!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Definitely the 6 should get AWD...
    Not sure about the 3... It is quite fun as it is...

Have to agree with most views here, AWD is not the exclusive domain of WRC cars. AWD offers a particular style of vehicle dynamics that a lot of people, particularly driving enthusiasts like me find desirable. No surprise there are so many AWD offerings from car makers that pride themselves on vehicle dynamics such as Audi, Volvo, VW, Jaguar, even Alfa.

The 6MPS may have a similar level of performance to the Sti and EVO, so comparisons are inevitable, but I don't see them as competitors or even as alternatives to the 6MPS. They are after all bottom of the range cars with go-fast bits and I would never consider paying $70,000 for a car that can only do one thing well.

I know how to handle a FWD (I won the skid pan competition at the 3MPS drive day in Canberra) but I don't enjoy FWD because I find the limitations frustrating and it just doesn't provide the level of engagement and driving satisfaction that I'm looking for. That's just my opinion, but it's an opinion shared by an awful lot of RWD/AWD owners. Even though I like the new 3MPS I just couldn't own one.

So that brings us back to what do current 6MPS owners do for their next car? I'd really like a new 6MPS with AWD, but I would settle for a 3MPS with AWD.

Gone to Volvo

I would like to see a new MPS6 as well.
    Since buying my existing one in 07, I have looked at other options for when I need to replace it. In my opinion, there are very few cars that meet the same standards as far as performance, luxury and price.
    Go on Mazda, bring out a new model.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast