User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gear "Hatch Off" Review - WRX vs MPS vs XR5 vs Megane Cup

1. Default Top Gear "Hatch Off" Review - WRX vs MPS vs XR5 vs Megane Cup

Great review, good words, totally unbiased, but the WRX still comes out trumps...

Last edited by Wardski; 01-10-2009 at 05:23 PM.

sorry i really dont likr the wrx.. sti yes....
    plus im sorry... torque steer is managble.. i dont personally have issues!!
    so there!!

Post up the rest of the report....... Please

4. Default

Ugly or not, I still dont understand why Mazda cannot build the MPS with AWD, when the WRX is still only $300 more expensive....?? dumb..

agreed!!!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ChaMPS View Post
    Post up the rest of the report....... Please
    lucky you said please...

Still, I think this is one of the better (seemingly unbiased) reviews out there.

You got to be joking me.....

can't honestly recall the last time I un-inentionally steered into a fence.....I must be one of those good drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    lucky you said please...
    Thank You..... Do you mind if I re-post?

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    can't honestly recall the last time I un-inentionally steered into a fence.....I must be one of those good drivers
    At least you only have horrible Torque Steer to worry about....... The XR is apparently fat, slow, lazy and wobbles about the road..... And cruise control.... Pah, I like to drive my car.....
    Last edited by ChaMPS; 01-10-2009 at 06:14 PM.

I am a bit confused too.

As far as I know...the new MPS 'Does' have an LSD.

It also doesnt have a 6k redline...think it is actually about 6.7 or something.

The main point though is that..YES...It has torque steer..and if you are crazy enough to smash your foot to the floor when you have 260 odd hp's running through your front wheels then you are most likely going to go for a bit of a road wander.

But none of those other cars will put a smile on your face like the MPS does...seriously...I have driven all sorts of cars with all sorts of power ratings...and I have never laughed like a demented idiot every time I get a bit toe heavy like I do with this puppy lol.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Quote Originally Posted by oz3owner View Post
    .......and if you are crazy enough to smash your foot to the floor when you have 260 odd hp's running through your front wheels then you are most likely going to go for a bit of a road wander.
    I have about 310BHP and it don't wander around unless very uneven road

But none of those other cars will put a smile on your face like the MPS does...
    Have you driven an XR5..... cause even die hard MPS lovers walk away with a cheesy grin after a stomp in the 5....

12. Default

Thank You..... Do you mind if I re-post?
    Sure thing.

13. Default

Ugly or not, I still dont understand why Mazda cannot build the MPS with AWD, when the WRX is still only $300 more expensive....?? dumb..
    Mazda did build the MPS with AWD its the super sweet sexy thing they call an MPS6
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

I have about 310BHP and it don't wander around unless very uneven road
    With 310 running through the front I doubt you would smash the go pedal to the floor either...its more like the gentle art of acceleration lol.

Have you driven an XR5..... cause even die hard MPS lovers walk away with a cheesy grin after a stomp in the 5....
    Nope...havent driven the XR5's...It was on my list...but hard to give up the Mazda's after having 3 in a row lol.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

I would take the XR5, its got decent performance, decent interior, great looks compared to the other 3 and its the cheapest!.... The megane, new MPS and Subaru look so sh!t.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Mazda did build the MPS with AWD its the super sweet sexy thing they call an MPS6
    The ones they dont make anymore?

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

I doubt Mazda could come up with an AWD system like the Subaru.
    CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

With 310 running through the front I doubt you would smash the go pedal to the floor either...its more like the gentle art of acceleration lol.
    Launch yes..... But once it's moving, it's flat to the floor....

Nope...havent driven the XR5's...It was on my list...but hard to give up the Mazda's after having 3 in a row lol.
    Next time your in ACT, drop me a line.... We'll see if we can convert you...

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    I would take the XR5, its got decent performance, decent interior, great looks compared to the other 3 and its the cheapest!.... The megane, new MPS and Subaru look so sh!t.
    For the record.... The XR5 has 6 gears.... not 5.... Probably why he thought it was slow.... he was in a Zetec....
    "The car is soft"..... but Clarkson spent half the segment on UK TG cocking the rear wheel off the ground..... When I jack up the front wheel, the rear comes off the ground too..... If that aint stiff enough I don't know what is..
    Last edited by ChaMPS; 01-10-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    And then they stopped making them. Bastards!

The new 3MPS styling has completely grown on me. If it was AWD I'd buy one tomorrow. The AWD system already exists and I bet my left nut the Mazda engineers and marketing people wanted to make the new 3MPS AWD but the bean counters vetoed it.

We should ask the boss to start a petition so we can persuade Mazda to do the right thing and make this the car it should be - before I jump ship to a brand that caters for people who have tasted AWD dynamics and can never go back.

Gone to Volvo

I drove the new WRX the other week, was a bit disappointed..
    I felt my car pulled harder and i was giving it quite a bit of curry.

Id take the new STI any day. wrx... no thanks.

oh...its a Top Gear Aust article...pfft!! like i would even read it...Thankfully the word Canberra was in the first sentence...saved me wasting my time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast