User Tag List

Thread: UR Turboback exhaust setup

1. Default UR Turboback exhaust setup

hey guys

im new to this whole thing, so please be gentle. ive got a gen 2 2011 mps 3 and im looking at getting a Ultimate Racing TurboBack exhaust system.

Just wanted some advice/opinions on the different options and what difference it makes to power and sound. so theres different options for 3 parts: the dp, the testpipe and the cbe

- so for the dp, is it better to go catless or go with a high flow cat dp ceramic core?
    - resonated test pipe or a high flow cat?
    - and should i get a catback resonator?

what would be a good setup with that exhaust system (in terms of power and sound and also to be able to pass regulation lol)?

thanks

Well, honestly, I can't say much for the entire exhaust because I have only upgraded the cat-back section, but I will say that so far, my UR CBE is awesome in comparison to the stock piping, so you definitely won't be disappointed, not by the sound, not by the quality.

This is a bit TL;DR so if you're not one for outright discussion then scroll right down to the last 3 paragraphs if you please!!

"- so for the dp, is it better to go catless or go with a high flow cat dp ceramic core?"
    Can't tell you, like I said I still have the stock DP. Some people have gone DP first, then CB afterwards, to each their own. I know that the loss of the primary cat will trigger a CEL, however, and personally, I would choose to have a low-cell 3-way cat to keep emissions and the smell down without too much of a hindrance. Further to the point, to my knowledge deleting 1 of the cats on this car is technically illegal (I believe you require the same number of cats from the factory, but two inline is unnecessary imo), but I figured if a police officer/inspector actually knew how many come with this thing then I could always buy a secondary cat from to remove the yellow sticker!

"- resonated test pipe or a high flow cat?"
    I also chose to delete the secondary cat and play it safe with the replacement straight-through resonated mid-pipe. The resonator is, I would say in my experience, very good at drone control, but is 100% nonrestrictive when accelerating in terms of sound and performance. It is a fairly large and open hot dog-type resonator that essentially just helps lessen the decibels a bit, especially when starting up in the morning/late night. That being said I might consider having it straight-through but really it's not a priority at all. A secondary cat imho is not necessary but it's up to you, UR's aftermarket cats seem to be good quality, around 200-cell (could be 100 for the secondary?). I am noticing a distinct smell when starting up and idling after some spirited driving however, either because of no cat or a brand new pipe.

"- and should i get a catback resonator?"
    I'm pretty sure the 2nd cat is welded at the mid-pipe when you choose it, so essentially it is down to to you selecting either 1 cat, no cat, or a resonator. Basically the system would have the primary cat with the DP, the secondary cat/resonator on the mid-section, then what would be the axle-back is attached to that.

To the quality of the system, I was impressed both with the finish and size when I pulled it all out of the packaging. I purchased mine with the straight (un-rolled) exhaust tips and holy crap they look hugggeeee compared to what I've seen in the pics of the rolled tips option, they really fill out the back of the car!

My idea of a good setup for the ROAD and track events/weekend warrior stuff would be: DP with the less-restrictive metal composite cat; resonated mid-pipe (so as to eliminate unnecessary drone/attention); and the un-rolled exhaust tips. If you can, shell out for some of those CorkSport polyurethane exhaust hanger mounts too, because I will tell you now, after installing my CBE, there is one hanger absent from UR's system (the rear left one for the OEM muffler), and I suspect some or one of the hangers rub and squeak horribly against the protective heat shielding at the back of the car when negotiating bumps and driveways. I'd say I'd have to dent it a bit or grind down the hangers to help prevent it. Maybe even weld the extra hanger on through a shop?

Anyway I love my UR catback and I'm planning on going for DP from them soon too! I really wanted the divided design system from CorkSport but their only bloody option now is with or without BOTH cats!
    METAL, MOSHING, & MPS MAYHEM
    |
    JBR Stage 2 SRI | Turbosmart Kompact BPV | Ultimate Racing resonated CBE | CS SSP @ 35%; exhaust hanger bushings | Rota DPT "Fighter" matte black 18x8.5 +44 | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 245/35-series | ScanTool OBDLink LX | TWM "Big Type R" 600gr shift knob | MANY MORE INSTALLS TO COME...

Oh, and by the way @m1sha, welcome!

Get at least 1 cat... Going full catless is loud and means you fail emissions

Have a look at YouTube for different combinations of the cat back

i have the UR axle back section with a Cobb catted DP no 2nd cat and stock mid section with OEM resonator, it sounds great but **** me it drones on the freeway on any slight up hill acceleration and i do loads of freeway driving, I'm in 2 minds whether to put the magnaflow axle back section back in or get another resonator put in.
    I imagine the UR set up with no resonator would be harsh to the ears.
    Last edited by shaneski; 22-07-2014 at 04:59 PM.

6. Default

haha thanks @zkowski

- - - Updated - - -

cheers for all the feedback guys!

I've heard @3MPSPWR system. It barked and popped and made all the cool noises. Not sure of his whole system though.

In regards to removing cats and resonators, as above, leave a cat in, and I think you will prefer the res in as well. I have both out, very loud in the morning, crackles and backfires occasionally on overrun... It sounds great on full noise, but I will be putting both back soon, a little over it. If the muffler shop take parts out, perhaps get flanged joints put in so you can put them back at a later date.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2