User Tag List

Thread: How loose should my timing chain be?

Default How loose should my timing chain be?

Hi All,

I saw @dazza talking about timing chain issues with the MZR in other threads, so I decided to check mine and in my clueless n00b opinion, it seems too loose on my '07 MPS 6.
    I looked around other forum threads but no one seemed to indicate how much play should be in the chain.

Mine has about this much play: Mazdaspeed 3 timing chain slack - YouTube (Maybe just a tiny bit less than this guys)

It seems like I'm up for a VVT actuator @ ~78,000Kms if that video means things are bad.

I have seen a few discussions about it being a known MZR issue and that Mazda will replace it under warranty up to 7 years - which I must be getting close to.

So my questions are, does the video seem to indicate that the chain is too loose, and if so, does anyone know what words I need to use at Mazda to get it done under warranty, and roughly how much out of pocket I might be if it can't be done under warranty?

Cheers,
    Tims.
    Last edited by tims; 26-05-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Seems gud to me, any noise or any issues??

A little bit of a 'tick' at start up, but lasts no more than second... I guess if it was really bad someone's ears would have pricked up on Friday night, it was cold enough to call a near-cold start :-)

tension depends on the phasing of the cams in relation to the crank and each other. Its probably tight when the valve springs are pushing back or some valves are opening. (I could be wrong)

Thanks @Mr.Harry - I turned it over a few times and on the 3rd go I ran it for a few seconds and checked it again and this time the chain was much tighter.

Does that sound normal?

If your engine is running fine then it's fine. Because slack chain will stuff up the timing n engine may run bad. I don't really know how much slack is acceptable but @dar_vedar might be able to help here. He changed his chain n actuator recently.

Did you check it after the engine was hot? The chain is tension tightened in relation to oil pressure so a cold engine it will be slack as there's no oil pressure.

My first two checks were cold, but on the third I ran it for less than a minute and that's when I found it had tensioned up quite a bit.

I've learned something tonight thanks @dazza and @Mr.Harry

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Hi All,

I saw @dazza talking about timing chain issues with the MZR in other threads, so I decided to check mine and in my clueless n00b opinion, it seems too loose on my '07 MPS 6.
    I looked around other forum threads but no one seemed to indicate how much play should be in the chain.

Mine has about this much play: Mazdaspeed 3 timing chain slack - YouTube (Maybe just a tiny bit less than this guys)

It seems like I'm up for a VVT actuator @ ~78,000Kms if that video means things are bad.

I have seen a few discussions about it being a known MZR issue and that Mazda will replace it under warranty up to 7 years - which I must be getting close to.

So my questions are, does the video seem to indicate that the chain is too loose, and if so, does anyone know what words I need to use at Mazda to get it done under warranty, and roughly how much out of pocket I might be if it can't be done under warranty?

Cheers,
    Tims.
    I think u will find the 7 year warranty is States only not Australia

Loose, tight, loose, tight, when you check it sometimes it's good sometimes not good is what I gather from what you said,
    that indicates to me that the chain is stretched and tensioner is out by only a couple of teeth at this stage, you'll know about it in a couple weeks if you give it to it the sound will be more and more obvious. It tightens then slacks after each piston stroke thats, which isn't supposed to happen it should be tight with only ~10-12% sway. Take a video of it on cold start And warm start ?

My first two checks were cold, but on the third I ran it for less than a minute and that's when I found it had tensioned up quite a bit.

I've learned something tonight thanks @dazza and @Mr.Harry
    Try checking it after the engine is HOT after a hard or long drive, wear gloves
    '05 6 MPS | BNR S3 | JBR 3.5" Intake | Corksport Airbox | CP-E 3.25" TMIC | M2 DP | CP-E CBE | CP-E/TT Diff Mounts | Autotech HPFP Internals | JBR REM, PMM, TMM | SURE Shortcut | SURE Countershift | SURE Anchors | Denso ITV22s | JBR TIGs | EGR Delete | Coolant Bypass | PTP Inj Seals | MD OCC | H&R Springs | Bilstein B8 Shocks | Car-LED Tails | Badgeless Grille | 6000k HIDs | OZ Ultraleggera 18x8 +48

Thanks All - I will check it tomorrow night after the long drive home from work (With gloves thanks @dazza ).

I haven't heard any 'slapping' of the chain, I gather it would be quite notable ? I checked the manual but it didn't seem to mention which service interval the VVT/chain is checked at, I gather it'l be around the 100,000KM somewhere. Maybe I'll get them to have a quick look at the 80,000KM (about 5,000 away).

Maybe its just my paranoia :-)

@tims - the timing chain was never meant to be changed during the life of the engine when Mazda engineered it so its not mentioned in the manual (other members pls correct me if I'm wrong on this). Now that the issue of the tensioners/chain becoming increasingly lax and hence the tapping/ticking sound, it will need to be changed only with symptoms...

Hope that helps.

Thanks @mech81 - that'll explain why I couldn't see it in the manual.

I might get mazda to check it at the 80k service just to be sure, but from what everyone has said I think I'm in the clear unless I start to hear the chain slapping around.

I give it a good clean and mini-detail once a month so will just get in to the habit of having a good listen when I am cleaning the engine bay.

I just don't want slap-slap-boom if I can avoid it.
    Stock Standard MPS 6 | Opticoat Paint Protection By Caffeine Fiend | Custom GPS, Bluetooth and Digital music integration by Me | Rattles by Mazda

Thanks @mech81 - that'll explain why I couldn't see it in the manual.

I might get mazda to check it at the 80k service just to be sure, but from what everyone has said I think I'm in the clear unless I start to hear the chain slapping around.

I give it a good clean and mini-detail once a month so will just get in to the habit of having a good listen when I am cleaning the engine bay.

I just don't want slap-slap-boom if I can avoid it.
    @tims You probably just worried after reading all those timing chain issues ppl having. There is nothing wrong with your car lol
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

haha thanks @Mr.Harry - If it goes ZZB then it's just a good excuse to modify ;-)

17. Default

my 06 gen1 3 has about as much slack in the video and if it weren't for this thread I would of never checked it so thanks @tims, turns out @sinsin knows what he's on about. The noise starts out as just a light ticking similar to the fuel pump so it is very hard to hear (this is the stage of wear I am at), then starts to sound like a diesel lol then the really obvious noises like chain slap happen by then you have done quite a bit of damage. Thanks tims and sinsin you saved my zoom-zoom

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    @tims You probably just worried after reading all those timing chain issues ppl having. There is nothing wrong with your car lol
    As such - I was worried with my own Gen1 till i got Jmac to give it a once over for me too. Regular once over checks by myself are a good thing, I keep telling myself