User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: boost response after gear change

Quote Originally Posted by rgpmps3 View Post
    thanks for the info, this is the information i was looking for, yeh i know they have the stupid restrictions in the first few gears, first gear i reckon my mum diesel merc pulls harder lol! might look into dump pipe to try and help this issue
    No Probs I know what u mean,jumping from my mates stock MPS into mine is like night and day, with DP and a good Tune these cars are totally transformed .Dont worry about responces on this forum there is a a lot of Tuff love on it. I've been smashed heaps of times

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Since owning the car I have never experienced what you would call LAG between gears... It is alot less then my WRX (TD06 20G + FMIC).

The COBB AP runs more aggressive tune (timing, boost, wastegate duty, etc) thus making the car spool faster (minor difference).
    The only way to eliminate the issue is to enable Flat Foot Shifting. Honestly though the time saved on a track is minimal, only bigger turbo's need FFS.

On the few track days I have done I can manage to swap cogs before I lose all positive manifold pressure pretty much kick the clutch, next gear...
    looks like some mods are in order to help this, it just makes no sense why it is like it, all my old cars have had full exhausts which would help but my missus's previous car, a totally stock r32 skyline picks it up far quicker and they arnt renowned for their boost response

looks like some mods are in order to help this, it just makes no sense why it is like it, all my old cars have had full exhausts which would help but my missus's previous car, a totally stock r32 skyline picks it up far quicker and they arnt renowned for their boost response
    With the RB20 turbo that thing is tiny (T25 has similar specs) and they came with those 'ceramic turbines'. While they were quick to spool they fell over very quick and blew up even quicker on any fun level of boost.

Just push the pedal through the firewall, kick the clutch and blip the throttle = Lag Free
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 12-05-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

If you in melb you can take my car for a spin just to see the diff. Cobb FTW
    Member Of a Wallbangers Club

yeh they like letting go when pushed over 14 psi, they hold boost higher in the rev range than the dizi motor does tho. not a very comparable situation tho. i did love those motors they took a serious beating!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    If you in melb you can take my car for a spin just to see the diff. Cobb FTW
    unfortunately im not in melb, im in mildura but would love to go in a car with a flash tune.

yeh they like letting go when pushed over 14 psi, they hold boost higher in the rev range than the dizi motor does tho. not a very comparable situation tho. i did love those motors they took a serious beating!
    No doubt the RB2X is a contender to be the LS1 of the import world

2.0L 6cy VS. 2.3L 4cy - isn't that easy to compare engine characteristics... Go drive a WRX and tell me what lag is!
    It may have a TMIC but it has +1M of exhaust manifold...
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 12-05-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

unfortunately im not in melb, im in mildura but would love to go in a car with a flash tune.
    There's another guy from mildura he drives white genpu but not sure if he has Cobb.

No doubt the RB2X is a contender to be the LS1 of the import world

2.0L 6cy VS. 2.3L 4cy - isn't that easy to compare engine characteristics... Go drive a WRX and tell me what lag is!
    It may have a TMIC but it has +1M of exhaust manifold...
    an rb20 is quite a fair amount laggier than the dizi motor to gain initial boost, they also run a lower comp ratio and are odviosly only a 2l and are a very short stroke motor in relation to bore size, yeh been in a wrx, hence the reason ive never had one

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Harry View Post
    There's another guy from mildura he drives white genpu but not sure if he has Cobb.
    actually i saw him yesterday, he gave me a wave and blinded me which a flick of the high beams lol, is he on the forums? is his the 13 model with black wheels etc?

an rb20 is quite a fair amount laggier than the dizi motor to gain initial boost, they also run a lower comp ratio and are odviosly only a 2l and are a very short stroke motor in relation to bore size, yeh been in a wrx, hence the reason ive never had one
    I loved my WRX so much. Wnet from TD04 FMIC > TD06 20G TMIC > TD06 FMIC... I am the member you need to talk to about lag

I loved my WRX so much. Wnet from TD04 FMIC > TD06 20G TMIC > TD06 FMIC... I am the member you need to talk to about lag
    i would be surprised if a stock rb20 isnt laggier than a stock ej motor tho...??

i would be surprised if a stock rb20 isnt laggier than a stock ej motor tho...??
    Stock EJ20 has the tiny TD04... once you get near STI turbo's (VF3X Series) you get some lag. The RB20 Turbo is bigger (not much) then the TD04...

Anyways back on topic: MPS Lag... There isn't enough.

Mazda Australia we want more lag! So fit the MPS with atleast a GTX30... and then we will talk.

actually i saw him yesterday, he gave me a wave and blinded me which a flick of the high beams lol, is he on the forums? is his the 13 model with black wheels etc?
    Pmed

This is why you need an adjustable BOV, so you can set how much air is dumped, and how much is retained so the turbo doesn't completely go off song and have to re-spool up to speed again. I bet all the other turbo cars you've driven, unless they still in factory setup, have had adjustable BOVs.

just wondering, why is it the that my ms3 2nd gen doesnt stay on boost between shifts on anything above 2nd gear? it has to rebuild boost after each change. is this somthing that can be tuned out or fixed with mods because its pretty damn annoying coming from other turbo cars that had no issue holding 90% of boost between shifts making the car feel much more aggressive of gear changes.

thanks in advance
    I agree with you mate, coming from an Evo 9 on E85, I noticed it immediately in my Gen 2. I recently went to the Versatune package, still with everything stock, and I enabled the FFS in the tune, and believe me, it makes all the difference, it is very nippy on the shifts now.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I agree with you mate, coming from an Evo 9 on E85, I noticed it immediately in my Gen 2. I recently went to the Versatune package, still with everything stock, and I enabled the FFS in the tune, and believe me, it makes all the difference, it is very nippy on the shifts now.
    Evo 9 on e85 , must have a few killer wasps

Yeah it was fun, 254 atw, or there abouts, it had almost more torque steer than the Mazda! It is a pity we can't just upgrade the fuel pump and install bigger injectors to run clean E85 on the Mazda's..........It made a hell of a lot of difference in the Evo, makes it come alive!
    Last edited by Grumpy; 12-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Evo 9 was such a good vintage, wish I had 254atw lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast