User Tag List

Thread: Understeer

1. Default Understeer

Hellow fellow mpsers

Last week i enrolled in a hill climb event (Haunted Hills, VIC).
    The car ran well but in the last 3 corners, there was a sea of understeer and wheel spin.

I was told a rear swar bar would solve this issue or atleast reduce it considerably and i am looking at getting the whiteline rear adjustable sway bar after getting your input.
    Any adivse and or thought greatly appriciated.

The only advice I can give is....... DO IT!

Makes a world of difference and you won't regret it.

EDIT: I also have the Whiteline RSB. No complaints at all.

RSB and grippier tires

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. Default

do i need a front sway bar aswell?

- - - Updated - - -

oh n i used khumo ku36 tyres so they were ok i guess

Was the understeer occuring on turn in, mid corner or under power on exit?

KU36 tyres are good. What tyre pressures were you running?

A rear swaybar will make a huge difference. It will fix the terminal understeer on turn in and mid corner, but won't fix the corner exit understeer. To fix that you need to upgrade your front diff and even that only goes so far, it's something that can't really be eliminated entirely in a FWD car.

Don't bother with the front swaybar unless you get a full coilover setup to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    do i need a front sway bar aswell?
    A stiffer front sway bar will neutralise any work done on the rear to minimise understeer. In other words, no.

A word on Whiteline swaybars. I have one and last service I asked the guys at Garry & Warren Smith Mazda to make sure that and my rear engine mount were still correctly torqued. They did that for me, but mentioned that the bolt holes on the Whiteline rear sway bar had elongated slightly where they connect to the endlinks. Therefore there was, albeit a slight, amount of movement there that shouldn't be.

I haven't yet had a chance to take the bar off and look at it, and it doesn't seem to have had a massive effect on the handling, outside of a slight creak which has developed when the car goes over large bumps, but something to be aware of.

Also, particularly with hill climbs, but all forms of motorsport, it's very easy to get the "red mist" and attack corners too hard, causing understeer due to over-exuberant entry speeds (ie trying to drive well beyond the abilities of the car). A good suspension setup is terrific, but being able to balance the car and drive to yours and its limits without exceeding them is the real art.

Not saying this is necessarily the case with you, but just something to be aware of
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 07-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

PLay with tyre pressures i found this a good way to adjust roll to your driving style. Any body bracing will help 02+ Mazda3 Front Lower Strut Bar this to help with turn in, RSB to help with understeer

I also have a Whiteline RSB - great mod, you will notice the difference straight away!

9. Default

On a slightly different note, how was Haunted Hills?

I've wanted to go there since they relocated years ago but each time I mentioned it, something got in the way. Watching some of the YouTube videos of old Porsches doing the run looks like a whole tonne of fun!

Yeah ^^ wot he said, I went looking for a website but nothing, how much and how do you book?

11. Default

it was good. the only issue was the understeer. apart from that left a few stis and wrxs looking bad

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    On a slightly different note, how was Haunted Hills?

I've wanted to go there since they relocated years ago but each time I mentioned it, something got in the way. Watching some of the YouTube videos of old Porsches doing the run looks like a whole tonne of fun!

12. Default

I tagged along with a club and paid $100. plus CAMS was required. but all up A HELL OF A LOT OF FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Yeah ^^ wot he said, I went looking for a website but nothing, how much and how do you book?

13. Default

understeer was happening on exit. the last 2-3 corners is where it happened. and it was uphill.
    so after that i induced brake off over steer on purpose to have the nose pointing where i wanted then put my foot down. shaved off a few hundreds like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Was the understeer occuring on turn in, mid corner or under power on exit?

KU36 tyres are good. What tyre pressures were you running?

A rear swaybar will make a huge difference. It will fix the terminal understeer on turn in and mid corner, but won't fix the corner exit understeer. To fix that you need to upgrade your front diff and even that only goes so far, it's something that can't really be eliminated entirely in a FWD car.

Don't bother with the front swaybar unless you get a full coilover setup to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by dar_vedar View Post
    understeer was happening on exit. the last 2-3 corners is where it happened. and it was uphill.
    so after that i induced brake off over steer on purpose to have the nose pointing where i wanted then put my foot down. shaved off a few hundreds like that.
    Sounds like tires overheating...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

15. Default

but the track itslef was only 63 seconds!