User Tag List

Thread: MPS first gear clunk

Default MPS first gear clunk

Hi everyone.

Long time reader first time poster. I owned a Mazda SP20 for the past 2 years and unfortunately it was written off last week. Neverless i'm in the market for a BK MPS and i test drove one today. It's a very serious contender except when putting the car into first gear it clunks hard. All other gears are smooth and are fine and the clutch feels fine. What could be the cause of this? Is this normal?

I've done a quick google and found that some have had "similar" issues with clunking/slipping, but it seems they all happen in between gears, whereas this happens when slowing down and going back into first gear to stop.... Some have fixed with a engine mount? Could this be the same?

The car is a 08 and is immaculate, it has 40k on the clock and still has the new car smell. All passed RWC etc. It has a short shifter installed and he claims that because its been shortened it clunks when it engages into gear. As much as i trust his word, i just want to make sure i don't want to get into trouble.

If all goes according to plan, i hope to see some of you guys/future mods etc.

Cheers,
    Ben.
    Last edited by Ben992; 16-01-2013 at 03:28 PM.

The first gear is hard to get into when slowing down till you get to a complete stop. My BK 08 MPS doesnt clunk when getting into first however but my shifter is still stock. The clunk is more apparent for me when shifting into 2nd and 3rd for me. He might be right that it could well be something to do with the short shifter.

3. Default MPS first gear clunk

It's normal bud. My BL has it too. You can make the gear shifts a bit smoother by doing a REM but the gearbox is pretty tight.

Noticed it too on my first MPS drive, and it's normal - with all the torque, you can never expect a smooth gear change in first and second. When I first drove it felt like a truck - very chunky but precise, but got used to it quickly and like it now. Do find gear changes are much better when the car has wamed up though. Planning on putting in some Redline gearbox oil when I get my first service.

Quote Originally Posted by akqrate View Post
    It's normal bud. My BL has it too. You can make the gear shifts a bit smoother by doing a REM but the gearbox is pretty tight.
    Noob question, whats a REM?

Its not when shifting, its when say stopped at a traffic lights and you put it in first. Put the clutch in, take out of 2nd, can leave in neutral even, go in first, CLUNK. It goes in easy, just makes the noise.

I test drove another identical one, but with more kms, it didnt do any clunking from what i could hear.

I've read that the engine mounts have been recalled for this. Maybe he hasnt done it? Maybe it just needs some new mounts.....

6. Default MPS first gear clunk

REM stands for rear engine mount.

7. Default MPS first gear clunk

@Byrd mate I wouldn't think the gearbox is like this due to the torque. Drove my mate's scirocco r and the gearbox is like butter. You can shift with a finger!

Quote Originally Posted by akqrate View Post
    REM stands for rear engine mount.
    Of course. Noob moment haha.

How much should a engine mount set you back?? Would think they would of picked it up at RWC time...

9. Default MPS first gear clunk

$250ish installed I'd say

Ill knock that off the price then

Cheers guys.

Okay, a friend found me this. The shifter is a JB...

2012 Mazda 3/Mazdaspeed 3 Forums

Would you trust it? Forget it? Move on, dont buy it? Or just buy it, hope for the best and remove the short shifter....

This video sounds exactly like it, but only happens when shifting UP into first. No other gears. Not in between 1st and 2nd...Just shifting into first.

Clunk is at 18sec, the first one is just from reverse...

Last edited by Ben992; 18-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.

I think you'll find with a short shifter it makes the shift feel and sound more mechanical and notchy, especially with the standard weight shift knob.
    I have a weighted knob and short shifter plate and I have quite a notchy shift.
    As others said you should replace the engine mount, you could also look into new gearbox oil which should help with shifts.
    Id say its fairly normal on the MPS...

Looks to be a standard knob...If i buy it, i think i'll remove it. Im really not after crazy fast shifting anyways.

I asked him about the engine mounts and they are original....

This is the car btw...Its immaculate. I'd say its been driven hard, but what do you expect

2008 MAZDA 3 MPS BK Series 2 Hatch Private Cars For Sale in QLD - carsales.com.au

Thanks for your help @dazza

change the gear box oil as well stops all clunking

15. Default

I've had a clunk since new in my '06 MPS. It's normal... even non-sporty cars do it, it's just whether you can hear it from inside the car.

If you have a concern with it, cheapest option is some good gear oil. Do a change, see how you go.

CPE REM and castrol syntrans 75-85 fully synthetic gear oil did it for me.no more clunks.