User Tag List

Thread: Best engine oil choice for gen 2 mps

Default Best engine oil choice for gen 2 mps

Hey guys just though id start a discussion about engine oil choices, im coming up to my first service and am trying to decide if 5w 30, 5w 40 or 10w 40 is the better option with our climate im leaning toward the 10w 40. I notice alot of you guys are running the 5w 30 but I feel its mayby alittle light, however when looking around for full syn oils im finding that most are 5w 30. Ive done 3,000ks in my mps and its used abit of oil, being new I assume, does anyone know,what weight the factory puts in them? Im thinking possibly 5w 30

Cheers guys mitch

Default Re: Best engine oil choice for gen 2 mps

Check the manual and have a search on here, it's been covered before.
    The manual covers what should be used in each climate.
    I personally use Mobil 1.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I was wanting specific things answered, thanks for the tip, im aware of the search function!

Mitch

Default Re: Best engine oil choice for gen 2 mps

Quote Originally Posted by mymps11 View Post
    I was wanting specific things answered, thanks for the tip, im aware of the search function!

Mitch
    Have you looked in the owners manual? It's pretty specific.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Simple answer is, there is no best oil choice.
    We all live in different climates that require different grade oils.
    So look in the owners manual, select the one that suits your climate the best and buy a reputable oil of that grade.
    Most oils are pretty good now, you can't really go wrong

you can go to mazda's page here

Mazda Australia Zoom-Zoom - Recommended Maintenance Service Price

and put in your car's details. note that one of the links given by Jmac above indeed points out that you need to (if you wish) confirm whether the service department is putting in full or semi-synthetic oil.

from the mazda link i provided it appears to me that by default they DO NOT use full synthetic as they provide a recommended price for a particular service and then +$20 "With Genuine Mazda Premium Oil (optional)" - when i put in my car's details it says the recommended is 5w-40.

feel free to correct me but that is how i interpret it. hope it helps.

8. Default

i use castrol titanium 5W40 an im happy with it.

Im more then happy with Elf Excellium 5W-40 Fully Synethic, the guy i by it from says i'm over oiling my car (quality wise) they also put the same oil in the Megane Cup Cars different engine i know but same purpose.

Being a slightly newer engine, i believe keeping it lighter is the right method? then once its worn in a little bit maybe 15,000-20,000 kms start using the heavier stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Im more then happy with Elf Excellium 5W-40 Fully Synethic, the guy i by it from says i'm over oiling my car (quality wise) they also put the same oil in the Megane Cup Cars different engine i know but same purpose.

Being a slightly newer engine, i believe keeping it lighter is the right method? then once its worn in a little bit maybe 15,000-20,000 kms start using the heavier stuff.
    They use mineral for run in, then you should be using the same viscosity ongoing based on your local climate.
    I prefer fully synthetic, but once you are on a certain oil type stick with it and dont change (Synth - Semi Synth - Mineral).

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Hey Mitch, did you read through this?

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446

It lists loads of choices, plus some good feed from from people who actually know a thing or 2 about oils.

Happy Reading.

#5 Brad

Thanks guys for all the help, ive narrowed it down to the elf excellium or nulon full syn both in 5w 40 the thing I like about the nulon is you can buy 20litre drums. The elf oe in particularily interested in though as we can get it threw work, at

Thanks guys for all the help, ive narrowed it down to the elf excellium or nulon full syn both in 5w 40 the thing I like about the nulon is you can buy 20litre drums. The elf oe in particularily interested in though as we can get it threw work, @ bakis how much do u pay for the elf if u dont mind me asking?

Mitch

If i go through alpine affair in Ringwood i get it for $88 for 5 litres, and if i go through my mate who can find it at trade prices sometimes its like $95 for 10 litres.

I use Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-40 normally and 10W-40 when I head to the snow. Any other full synthetic will do the job tho, I rate Penrite stuff because it is quite good value. Castrol is expensive but it seems to get the best press and is more widely recommended by people who know a lot more than I do. Whether that is based on facts or just better marketing by Castrol over their rivals is another story tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    #5 Brad
    Lol yourself old buddy, they look like different threads to me
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40

my 20 censts worth i use castrol titanium edge 5w/40 fully synthetic & have no issues at all,very happy. i have had the car for a year now & its on 27,000kms.fully synthetic oil is the go with this engine/turbo.all major brands are good so you should have no troubles just remember to check the dip stick after you pull it out the first time clean it & check it the second time,its important that the first reading is not a true reading the second time is.