User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backfire on gear change

1. Default backfire on gear change

hi guys
    My old Gen 1 never did this, but my Gen2 does on occasion, especially if its been idling for a while, like at the lights. The Car is stock except for Corksport TIP and K&N panel filter in stock unmodified airbox. anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks!!

My stock Gen2 does a little garble/pop thing on gearchange, sounds sweet, but you can't hear it from inside the car, only from behind it. Nothing like a backfire though.

check for boost leaks

Yep, means its running rich.
    With my 100Cel DP and destroyed muffler mine does this all the time (also 50/50BOV)
    but without those mods id be checking for a slight boost leak, most likely culprit is hose on the back of the TMIC.
    Also, with a K&N oiled filter might be worth investing in some electrical contact cleaner as the MAF can get a thin film of filter oil over it from the filter.
    (The stock on is NOT an oiled filter).

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    My stock Gen2 does a little garble/pop thing on gearchange, sounds sweet, but you can't hear it from inside the car, only from behind it. Nothing like a backfire though.
    Sounds like your driving a DSG GTI!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Sounds like your driving a DSG GTI!
    Well, I had a DSG GTI before the MPS, and its a different sound.

The GTI, under load, would pop loudly (especially after the 24 psi tune I had on it, you could hear it in the cabin).

The MPS, it garbles, it does it when you let go of the throttle while shifting, its a cool sound but its very different. I wish I could hear it in the car haha.
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

Mine pops every gear change when im above 5000rpm

I love it

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Mine pops every gear change when im above 5000rpm

I love it
    Is that with the Magnaflow?
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Oh do cops care about back fire?? How do I get my car does that?? I love that !!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    Well, I had a DSG GTI before the MPS, and its a different sound.

The GTI, under load, would pop loudly (especially after the 24 psi tune I had on it, you could hear it in the cabin).

The MPS, it garbles, it does it when you let go of the throttle while shifting, its a cool sound but its very different. I wish I could hear it in the car haha.
    Mine pops, louder than a GTI too
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Mine garbles, pops etc, but that's with a full system. The stock system didn't do that if I remember rightly.

To get a proper backfire, if need cruise calmly for a few k's, nice rich mixture lining the exhaust and then hit WOT, get a bang on gear change.

Quote Originally Posted by 37371118 View Post
    Oh do cops care about back fire?? How do I get my car does that?? I love that !!
    If your changing gears at high RPM in front of a cop, i think they will pull you up for being a hoon...
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

If a cop sees me doing a pop on gear change, they'll get me for doing more than hooning. What does 6500rpm in 1st gear translate in speed? More than 60 I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    What does 16500rpm in 1st gear translate in speed? More than 60 I'm sure.
    130km/h on my gixxer ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

15. Default

thanks for the responses. i have cleaned the MAF, no change. it's infrequent, so i'm not concerned, just curious if it happened to others

Any noticeable change in boost or sound of exhaust during normal driving?

Also check BOV connections may have been moved during install of TIP, backfire is usually associated with aftermarket BOV set to tight, but Gen 11 do run rich from factory tune.

Do you lose power for a split second? Don't know if the shift stutter affects the gen 2 like it did the 6 but I had what sounded like a backfire with slight loss of power on my 6 when hard shifting, its basically gone after a cobb flash, I do still get a pop but its an actual backfire now I think

18. Default

the car drives great, there are no hesitations, no power cuts, just a nice popping noise. i can hear it in the car with windows up, it's subtle, like a low frequency boom/pop. i think it's actually a bit cool, but for a stock car, it seems a bit odd. Why would Mazda not tune it out. oh well. AP tune about to go in, problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Yep, means its running rich.
    With my 100Cel DP and destroyed muffler mine does this all the time (also 50/50BOV)
    but without those mods id be checking for a slight boost leak, most likely culprit is hose on the back of the TMIC.
    Also, with a K&N oiled filter might be worth investing in some electrical contact cleaner as the MAF can get a thin film of filter oil over it from the filter.
    (The stock on is NOT an oiled filter).

my mps6 was doing the same thing,on gear change, back firing, after cleaning the MAF and retuning it to stock, still had the backfire. Followed this advice, and found the hose on the front of the TMIC that connects to where the BOV mount goes into the engine was lose, bot the stock BOV on to check also, problem flexed, retuned, and GFB BOV back on, working great. Thanks for the advice, the forums win again. Great stuff, thanks.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    CorkSport SRI-TIP ][ KingSprings ][ CP-E TMIC][ Cobb AP (stage 1 tune) ][ Prosport Boost gage ][ Apexi RSM, ][corksport top front strut brace ][ corksport top rear strut brace ][ corksport short shift plate ][ Autotech HPFP internals ][ CS LED light kit ][ CS rear engine mount][CSDP ][ GFB BOV ][DBA front disks]

Default Re: backfire on gear change

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMPS View Post
    my mps6 was doing the same thing,on gear change, back firing, after cleaning the MAF and retuning it to stock, still had the backfire. Followed this advice, and found the hose on the front of the TMIC that connects to where the BOV mount goes into the engine was lose, bot the stock BOV on to check also, problem flexed, retuned, and GFB BOV back on, working great. Thanks for the advice, the forums win again. Great stuff, thanks.
    No worries mate. Glad to help.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast