User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: backfire on gear change

Quote Originally Posted by ost View Post
    the car drives great, there are no hesitations, no power cuts, just a nice popping noise. i can hear it in the car with windows up, it's subtle, like a low frequency boom/pop. i think it's actually a bit cool, but for a stock car, it seems a bit odd. Why would Mazda not tune it out. oh well. AP tune about to go in, problem solved!
    Mine is exactly the same, with the windows up you can sometimes hear the slight garble, just on gear changes when not boosting. I think it is quite normal, my car has got just over 3k kms on so it is brand new with no mods.

I must agree, it sounds pretty good to me
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

I get it most of the time with a full system and loud burble and grumble all the time especially on decelleration

The backfire returns...

Same as before, fine under normal driving conditions, but after allowing the boost to increase (1,2nd,or 3rd gear mostly when taking off with the foot a little heavy) when the boost dumps I get a backfire. Yesterday I went over the entire intercooler system from the SRI through to turbo to then to the intercooler and into the engine, all is air tight. All I can think is the BOV either not closing quick enough or messing up the system (100% recalculated, tried 50/50 and still same effect. I have cleaned the MAF sensor, and am about out of ideas. Help would really be appreciated.

The system runs a Corksport SRI, CPE Top mount intercooler, and a GFB BOV. my next mods are fuel pump and Dump Pipe.

If datalogs help I have there are some on the link bellow.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/714ck1zt4zpjr9i/5Ild1rjnNg <= Link to the DataLog's There are 3, 2 of them are just cursing so see if there was anything irregular but the last one (Datalog9.csv) had a small backfire.

thanks again guys, I thought I had this one sorted, but its not seeming to go away.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    CorkSport SRI-TIP ][ KingSprings ][ CP-E TMIC][ Cobb AP (stage 1 tune) ][ Prosport Boost gage ][ Apexi RSM, ][corksport top front strut brace ][ corksport top rear strut brace ][ corksport short shift plate ][ Autotech HPFP internals ][ CS LED light kit ][ CS rear engine mount][CSDP ][ GFB BOV ][DBA front disks]

For those with a near-stock MPS, and wanting that sound to be amplified, if only slightly, go to your local exhaust shop and get the resonator removed.
    I get that bit more garble and pop, sounds a lot nicer! It's got nothing on a full system, but for $60, you can't go wrong!

Default Re: backfire on gear change

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMPS View Post
    The backfire returns...

Same as before, fine under normal driving conditions, but after allowing the boost to increase (1,2nd,or 3rd gear mostly when taking off with the foot a little heavy) when the boost dumps I get a backfire. Yesterday I went over the entire intercooler system from the SRI through to turbo to then to the intercooler and into the engine, all is air tight. All I can think is the BOV either not closing quick enough or messing up the system (100% recalculated, tried 50/50 and still same effect. I have cleaned the MAF sensor, and am about out of ideas. Help would really be appreciated.

The system runs a Corksport SRI, CPE Top mount intercooler, and a GFB BOV. my next mods are fuel pump and Dump Pipe.

If datalogs help I have there are some on the link bellow.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/714ck1zt4zpjr9i/5Ild1rjnNg &lt;= Link to the DataLog's There are 3, 2 of them are just cursing so see if there was anything irregular but the last one (Datalog9.csv) had a small backfire.

thanks again guys, I thought I had this one sorted, but its not seeming to go away.
    Did you pull apart the bov before and rebuild it?
    Just wondering if the outlets have been switched.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by DisturbedDave View Post
    For those with a near-stock MPS, and wanting that sound to be amplified, if only slightly, go to your local exhaust shop and get the resonator removed.
    I get that bit more garble and pop, sounds a lot nicer! It's got nothing on a full system, but for $60, you can't go wrong!
    Thats all I want from the exhaust, I have had enough of super loud cars that give you headaches after 30minutes of driving.

Plus resonator delete is good value-for-$$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Did you pull apart the bov before and rebuild it?
    Just wondering if the outlets have been switched.
    Nah mate, just bolted it on out of the box. I have been adjusting the tension of the sprint which seems to be working (not as loud a backfire) and will run a lower tune to see if that helps but it didnt last time. could it be a fuel pump issue? Just reading about how some pumps are not able to handle the tune and am worried that may be the case with mine. (you know when you get something in your head and you cant shake it, the FP is that thing to me at the moment)

for the reply mate
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
    CorkSport SRI-TIP ][ KingSprings ][ CP-E TMIC][ Cobb AP (stage 1 tune) ][ Prosport Boost gage ][ Apexi RSM, ][corksport top front strut brace ][ corksport top rear strut brace ][ corksport short shift plate ][ Autotech HPFP internals ][ CS LED light kit ][ CS rear engine mount][CSDP ][ GFB BOV ][DBA front disks]

Default Re: backfire on gear change

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMPS View Post
    Nah mate, just bolted it on out of the box. I have been adjusting the tension of the sprint which seems to be working (not as loud a backfire) and will run a lower tune to see if that helps but it didnt last time. could it be a fuel pump issue? Just reading about how some pumps are not able to handle the tune and am worried that may be the case with mine. (you know when you get something in your head and you cant shake it, the FP is that thing to me at the moment)

for the reply mate
    I doubt it's the pump. Do you have an ap or access to a dash hawk?
    Mine pops with the gfb valve in the low gears

MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Default backfire on gear change

+1 to GFB causing backfire, I take it your running 50/50 close it a little say 60/40 or 70/30 ANC the backfire will stop! The excess fuel your car is delivering due to the maf reading more air intake than what is then recirc

I doubt it's the pump. Do you have an ap or access to a dash hawk?
    Mine pops with the gfb valve in the low gears

I have an AP, I guess my concern is doing damage to the engine. I had to rebuild a WRX engine which was due to an 02 sensor running the mix lean so thats got me a little worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Robmps View Post
    +1 to GFB causing backfire, I take it your running 50/50 close it a little say 60/40 or 70/30 ANC the backfire will stop!
    The excess fuel your car is delivering due to the maf reading more air intake than what is then recirc
    I have been running 100% closed. I might go back to the stock bov for a while and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the confirmation thats its the BOV mate, appreciate it.

log log log!!!!
    start a thread here;
    Diagnose My Datalog/CEL
    Post logs > profit

log log log!!!!
    start a thread here;
    Diagnose My Datalog/CEL
    Post logs > profit
    done mate. thanks. 3 logs posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12