User Tag List

Thread: bonnet scoop

Default bonnet scoop

Hey i was thinking last night, if i keep my TMIC on my mps 6 is it worth to get a scoop? just wondering if anyone seen it done or done it before.. but nothign cheap looking, is it possible?? thanks

There are gen2 MPS3 looking bonnets available. And a couple of other designs.
    But for the money they would do SFA.
    You would be better off upgrading the TMIC or getting a FMIC. Would be cheaper, and far more benefit

Personally I think the MPS cars would gain more from letting the hot air out rather than letting more air in

Agreed. The car already has a perfectly adequate ducting for the TMIC. I can only assume that you want it for the looks. Given the cost of a bonnet replacement or custom building a scoop on, and repainting your existing bonnet, I agree with bd581 - a total waste of money - and a good way to devalue your car.

Again, agreeing with bd581, If I was going to mess with the bonnet, I'd put in some tasteful louvres or at least some proper venting at the rear of the bonnet, to let the hot air out. I have written about this before and posted pictures.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 20-05-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

These are personal opinions, is your car, and we all welcome individuality.

Yuk!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337461327.566264.jpg 
Views:	929 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	11061

? (how did that get in there)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337461353.122637.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	11062

Still Yuk!

OMG! lm sure that slows the car down.

Yum (note, no scoop!)

I heard that VARIS do cooling, example below, still very OTT. Yuk!
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 20-05-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

YELDARB, couldn't agree more. But it's nice if you can help a fellow member save money or put it where it matters - and maybe not look totally daft, as your pictures reveal. I'm sure bd581 intends the same thing. And I think I did use the word "tasteful" somewhere too.... ;o)

I actually LIKE the sneaky way the MPS6 ducts its air into the TMIC (or air-filter in my case) and it gives the front edge of the bonnet a nice lean and mean look. I think it picks up less crap too. You could catch birds in some of those scoops you show (and maybe a camel in one of them)!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Actually I struggled to find many examples to be honest. So it's not a common mod, still would be interested to see a different version. Might even look decent. But as Brad suggested, any huge influence on performance seems unlikely.

ah k thanks guys, for the pics and info... yea was just thinking about it.. prob is cheaper to get a FMIC, is there much cutting to do to fit a FMIC ? doenst look like much room in front of tat radiator. also how is the lag with having a FMIC. its alot cooler then a TMIC but wit longer pipes comes more lag though?

Just upgrade your TMIC, hyperflow for example, there's plenty of ducting
    on the factory bonnet, have a look it's like a hidden scoop with air forced from the front.
    Cheers Todd

I really want this bonnet. I can't find a place to buy it from tho:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337671806.016180.jpg 
Views:	2957 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	11107

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Actually I struggled to find many examples to be honest. So it's not a common mod, still would be interested to see a different version. Might even look decent. But as Brad suggested, any huge influence on performance seems unlikely.

Only difference i can see would be how quicly heatsoak would disipate after getting hot but other than that no gains.
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

Speed holes make the car go faster

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    I really want this bonnet. I can't find a place to buy it from tho:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337671806.016180.jpg 
Views:	2957 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	11107
    That just looks like the original bonnet with a speed hole very craftily cut and shaped. I like. Not a fan of the front bar, or the wheels for that matter.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    That just looks like the original bonnet with a speed hole very craftily cut and shaped. I like. Not a fan of the front bar, or the wheels for that matter.
    Definitely no a fan of the from bar or wheels, but that hood... Hawt!

I reckon a more subtle vent such as the one below I Cadded up would be my choice.

Note the small vents on the bottom right for a SRI c/w enclosed box and channelled air flow ductwork under.