User Tag List

Thread: 100 Worst Cars of all time

Default 100 Worst Cars of all time

OMG the Vector W8 is in there! LIES!!!!! Best car EVER!!

15 y/o kid's dream car

Ariel atom?

Heh a LOT of Pontiacs in that list. Sounds about right.

Only spotted one Mazda, and it was that idiotic rotary powered truck.

I've been in a lot of totally s*%t Russian cars, including a few Zils, Volgas and Moskvichs, and most of China's earlier attempts were equally dismal, but the worst car ever HAS to be the East German Trabant, closely followed by such luminaries and title contenders as the English three-wheeled Reliant and Australia's very own Lightburn Zeta, the world's only road-going washing machine. Morgans might sell themselves as "classics" but they are as wet on the inside as on the outside in the rain and are a draughty as a medieval castle.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

To be perfectly honest, the worst car I've EVER driven was a mitsubishi nimbus, towing a box trailer.

I've been in less terrifying high-speed rollovers.

My nomination for the worst car I've ever driven is my current daily drive, a VE Commodore. While car makers everywhere strive to make progress (yes, even Ford) Holden is firmly stuck in reverse gear. I'm so over the near-death experiences that characterise Holden ownership. I wish it would just burst into flames.

Interesting Mal, any specifics?

Reminds me now that the only Holden I ever owned was so bad that I got shot of it in seven days - but then again, it WAS an HD ute. For a machine with so few moving parts it actually seemed to delight in finding something quite unique to go wrong at the slightest opportunity. The only good thing about that era of Holdens was the 179-186 red motor, a real gem usually. But in this example even that self-destructed with remarkable alacrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Interesting Mal, any specifics?
    They take the concept of blind spots to a new level, coupled with an engine that's always asleep and a transmission always in too high a gear, which makes for a dangerous combination. Here's an example: you approach a give way sign, there is an adequate space in the traffic so you move the accelerator pedal but the engine is already snoozing at 500 rpm, it eventually struggles back to life but can't pull the car because it's in 4th gear (at 25 kmh!!!) so it has a think about this challenge and decides that changing down a gear might produce a response to the control input. All of this takes more than a second, which feels like an eternity. But wait, the change to third didn't help because the rpm is still too low to pull the car from such a low speed. So the process happens all over again. By this stage the driver has instinctively moved the pedal more because of the lack of engine response, the car finally catches up with the driver then it's screaming at 6000rpm in first gear. But wait, it's not over yet. That road train you couldn't see in the giant blind spot has taken evasive action because some moron in a commodore pulled out into the flow of traffic and sat there for four of five seconds before taking off like an idiot. All of this lack of response exists because of Holdens disgraceful attempt to achieve an unrealistic fuel consumption figure by programming the engine and transmission this way.

Then when you think it couldn't get any worse, it does. The very slow response to control inputs happens to opposite way also, the engine often powers against your brake application because it just can't keep up with the driver. Speaking of which, in fine Commodore tradition they still have wooden brakes that wouldn't pull up a shopping trolley. And don't get me started on the poor reliability, things that don't work and the Holden mantra of "no fault found". The car is a death trap, but not according to Holden.

Gone to Volvo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commode_door vs palm tree in Perth.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	10123
    Hi MAL, Thanks, I understand.
    They obviously don't handle palm trees very well either, going by this morning's news photo!

Pppft, I don't know what you're talking about Doug. That'll buff right out.

Although it is plain that car was really moving to have done that to itself, it has to be said that particular corner is a bloody awful design too, with adverse camber and reducing radius with added REALLY BIG trees just to trap those who do happen to catch a rim on the RH kerb and skate off the road, and it is a typical example of some of the crap road engineering we see here that no doubt contributes to accidents, especially in mediocre cars or with drivers who are not fully aware. These include:

- roundabouts with tall vegetation on them,
    - centre kerbs with drains set into them to trap the right hand wheels, like those on Mounts Bay Rd.
    - Freeway pylons right next to the sealed trafficked edge, with zero sneeze factor allowed, as at Canning Bridge
    - Power poles ditto, as on Canning Hwy in Melville/Myaree.
    - Stupid chicanes deliberately built or painted into roads that would otherwise be perfectly straight, so that if a drivers' view is blocked such as by tall traffic in front, they have no way to intuitively determine or guage the direction the road is taking. It's called "traffic calming" by the dorks in the design department but it's not.

etc, etc...
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18