User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher speed limits in U.S. experiment a success

Default Higher speed limits in U.S. experiment a success

Thought the following article might generate a bit of discussion. It seems even the US is adopting a common sense approach to speed limits. Pity Australia can't do the same.

Not advocating reckless driving but some of the roads could easily have a higher limit that 110kph. The 80mph limit is about 130kph which in modern cars and on good stretches of highway would not be dangerous.

Here's the article -

According to TheNewspaper, the Utah Department of Transportation, which raised speed limits to 80 miles per hour on certain stretches of I-15, reported no downside to the experimental increase.

The UDOT selected stretches of road to increase the speed limit by five miles per hour based on crash histories. After watching and evaluating these roads, they discovered very little increase in actual speed.

“With the speed limit posted at 75 MPH, 85th percentile speeds measured between 81 and 85 MPH -- barely different from the 83 to 85 MPH speeds under the higher 80 MPH limit. The 85th percentile speed represents the speed at which 85 percent of free-flowing traffic feels is the safest. Engineers have determined that the greatest safety can be achieved when speed limits match the 85th percentile speed.”

So far, the UDOT is declaring the experiment a success, and will continue to monitor the interstate, meanwhile evaluating the future of other roads.

We are also pleased by this news, and hope to see this program expand to other parts of the country that could benefit from such experiments.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

bring it here!!!!! highly doubt it though.

Interesting debate this one. Have read reports from the NT, that after they instigated the 110kph limit there was an increase in fatigue related crashes. Some have advocated that higher speeds on long open roads increase concentration levels thereby reducing the likelihood of fatigue related crashes.

Personally I've driven some very long stretches of roads in WA and 110kph can become very tedious after a while, but the extra 20-30kph does make you more alert and will also reduce a 1000km trip by over 2 hours!

The debate will always continue.

Notwithstanding the fact that the speed limit has been 100 for however many years (can anyone say advise how long the 100km/hr limit has been imposed on highways??)

With advancements in car safety, ABS, EBD, suspension advancements, power, SRS, etc, we are still driving at the same limits as the cars of yesteryear.

For example, the advancements in technology and safety of a MPS would be significantly more than a 1978 Holden Kingswood.

5. Default

Good in theory, and I agree 110 is a walk in the park.

But... So many of Ausralia's main motorways/highways have some really disgusting sections. Between Canberra and Sydney for the most part 130 - 140 would be fairly safe, but just near the services at Marulan the road is potholed, and very unsafe even at 110.

The other problem is people in Australia don't know proper lane ettiqute. They are constantly cutting you off. This creates more issues when speed is increased. You constantly see it. Someone wants to overtake a truck, so they change lanes right infront of you so you have to slow down, if you are not paying attention...

Blog Entries

They can up the speed limit when they get rid of that stupid concrete instead of actual road!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    They can up the speed limit when they get rid of that stupid concrete instead of actual road!!!
    We're lucky here, no concrete roads for us, just sweet black bitumenised tarmac, though on some sections is very course chip and can be quite noisy.
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Blog Entries

Yeah I noticed that when I was over in WA last, some very course roads in some areas (then again I was driving around Armidale I wouldn't really want to drive there anyway)

I still love a fresh new road just after its been laid....mmmmmmm smooooooooth.

All we are getting here is roadworks and speeds down to 40kph.

I read a simular thing in a mercedes enthusiest magazine, they basically say the same.
    With all the modern technology and safety in cars it makes no sence that in many places in the world speed limits are being decreased.

However, on major highways i see that speeds could be increased safely, but at 110km/h limits, most people do 10km/h over as it is, bump it to 130km/h they will do 140.

Before any of that happens, roads MUST be improved first. And living in country NSW i think more overtaking lanes should be made. So instead of being caught behind somebody doing 20kays under or up and down speed causing you to get annoyed and do something unsafe to get past, you can just be patient for a couple of minutes knowing that you can safely get past soon

Seriously though, Adelaide roads suck bum. Some roads\highways they could bump up to 110-120kph but the majority of the roads in the outback here are NOT safe at any speed above 100kph.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvandan View Post
    All we are getting here is roadworks and speeds down to 40kph.
    Same over here..

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post

Adam I quite like the concrete HWY'S saves on the constant road works and pot holes. I rather have a little road noise than hitting a pot hole or stuck in road works for maintaince...

Blog Entries

That is true Rino, but in the wet the spray off the road is 100 times worse! I want my visibility back!!

I don't think the fact that new cars having better safety features will be enough to have speed limits raised. We cant assume everyone drives a Mercedes or something equivalent. it just takes that 1 guy driving that 1978 Holden with his family in it to have an accident and I guess that's enough for people to say its not safe.

Not saying that i'm against the raising of speed limits though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I read a simular thing in a mercedes enthusiest magazine, they basically say the same.
    With all the modern technology and safety in cars it makes no sence that in many places in the world speed limits are being decreased.

However, on major highways i see that speeds could be increased safely, but at 110km/h limits, most people do 10km/h over as it is, bump it to 130km/h they will do 140.

Before any of that happens, roads MUST be improved first. And living in country NSW i think more overtaking lanes should be made. So instead of being caught behind somebody doing 20kays under or up and down speed causing you to get annoyed and do something unsafe to get past, you can just be patient for a couple of minutes knowing that you can safely get past soon
    I TOTALLY agree Up the limit, and people will still do 10 over that.
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Talking Increased Speed Limits

Hi All
    Living in the far North (1600km from Perth) of WA i do a fair bit of travelling personal and work. I average about 4000km in a month. Nearest town is Port Hedland 265km away. I normally put the cruise control on about 130km/h (121km/h true speed), your consentration levels are increased to the point that the trip is not so monotonous and you are aware of all the vehicles on the road. You even notice the FUZZ alot sooner too.
    I've done the Perth Karratha trip about 4 times now and have only seen the FUZZ twice and they were around Geraldton. I think they melt in the heat up here. Today it is a barmy 41deg C. I think they SHOULD increase3 the speed limits!!

17. Default

we kinda learnt that last semester at uni.[Road transport in design etc]

The higher the speed, the 85 Percentile of people will actually go under the speed limit.

EG, If the speed limit was 70, most people would actually travel 75 on average. However, if the limit was set to 100, the average would be around 80~90 or something. I have the stats somewhere..

Some common sense is needed in the regulation in speed limits here. We have a good nice 3 lane bitumen bypass road that only allows one to travel only at 80 kph and yet there are some horrible broken shouldered one lane road with a massive sideways gradient that says you can travel at 100kph. No wonder the speed hounds a.k.a regulators are wondering how come the road toll is high.

Not to mention speed cameras here in Victoria not being installed in black spot areas only well traveled spots

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    Some common sense is needed in the regulation in speed limits here. We have a good nice 3 lane bitumen bypass road that only allows one to travel only at 80 kph and yet there are some horrible broken shouldered one lane road with a massive sideways gradient that says you can travel at 100kph. No wonder the speed hounds a.k.a regulators are wondering how come the road toll is high.

Not to mention speed cameras here in Victoria not being installed in black spot areas only well traveled spots
    Only too true. And here in Queensland, the same exists.

It is difficult to ascertain if its a State or Federal issue - seems that the same things occur in different states!

is with the section of the M1 near Mt Gravatt? It reduces from 100km to 80km due to road work... where exactly is the road work?
    2015 Audi S3 | MTX | Sedan | Sepang Blue | Sunroof | SPP1 | Assistance Package | BW - Week 17 | Delivery June/July '15... Hopefully...

Help support OzMPSClub - Become a VIP Member today! - Click here for more details...

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanDan View Post
    is with the section of the M1 near Mt Gravatt? It reduces from 100km to 80km due to road work... where exactly is the road work?
    i seen a copper there the other day, had some tradesman pulled over, i slowed back down to 80ks when i seen them.

but yes the roadworks are there on the left side, behind the concrete barriers...i have only seen them actually working once or twice tho in the last 6 or so months since they have had the new speed limit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast