User Tag List

View Poll Results: What fuel do you use?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Caltex Vortex 98

60 20.69%
  • Shell V-Power

57 19.66%
  • BP Ultimate

161 55.52%
  • Mobil 8000 (98)

11 3.79%
  • Generic (No-Name) 98RON

1 0.34%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fuel - What do you use?

Saw another one of those fuel comparisons on the news Ian luff and his team drove 5 different I30 with the different fuels around the race track too c which would run out of fuel first, I think 95 ran out first then E10 on 12 month calculation costs E10 not much difference to 98.
    No point using E10

Default Re: Fuel - What do you use?

I think people are confusing E10 with E85.

With any turbo vehicle I've owned the rule is 98 or nothing. If I was to tune and modify for E85 different story. No way in hell is E10 going in.

My understanding is E10 =/= 91 and E85 =/= 98.

Might not be the best resource but it's a start..

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...915-15b9l.html
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Jmac; 02-02-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

E85=105 Ron not 98, that's at united .

Default Fuel - What do you use?

I use BP ultimate 98 + 60:40 mix of water and ethanol injection

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I think people are confusing E10 with E85.

With any turbo vehicle I've owned the rule is 98 or nothing. If I was to tune and modify for E85 different story. No way in hell is E10 going in.

My understanding is E10 =/= 91 and E85 =/= 98.

Might not be the best resource but it's a start..

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...915-15b9l.html
    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    E10 is more like 93-94 RON.

At united servos...

Plus ULP 95 = 91 + 10% ethanol
    Boost 98 = 95 + 10% ethanol
    Premium 100 = 98 + either 5 or 10% ethanol can't remember for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Mazda 3 MPS

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    There will be no health issues on E10.

Very successful scare mongering by oil companies that would rather you bought 100% petrol off them.

ALL fuel in North America is E10 and ALL fuel in Europe is E5. Their cars are fine, ours aren't any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I live in Melbourne, so i am unsure what Ethanol based fuels are in other States.... The only ethanol fuel i have used is United E 10 , which according their website is 95 octane and very safe for the car. In fact, they state ethanol based fuel cleans your engine better than regular unleaded fuel? Something for everyone to disuss?

If you own a Mazda 6 MPS , then its fine to use this fuel. I am not sure about pre 2006 model cars or using E 85 fuel though. I have however noticed a big increase in Fuel Efficiency using Shell V Power 98. I have already done 260km city driving and only used 1/2 tank of fuel If i was using the United Fuel, 1/2 tank would get me 220km city driving tops...

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wian View Post
    I live in Melbourne, so i am unsure what Ethanol based fuels are in other States.... The only ethanol fuel i have used is United E 10 , which according their website is 95 octane and very safe for the car. In fact, they state ethanol based fuel cleans your engine better than regular unleaded fuel? Something for everyone to disuss?

If you own a Mazda 6 MPS , then its fine to use this fuel. I am not sure about pre 2006 model cars or using E 85 fuel though. I have however noticed a big increase in Fuel Efficiency using Shell V Power 98. I have already done 260km city driving and only used 1/2 tank of fuel If i was using the United Fuel, 1/2 tank would get me 220km city driving tops...

cheers
    My Mazda Dealer said if you use E10 exclusively, expect to have you injectors cleaned out often

E10 tends to leave gummy deposits and clog your injectors over time I have been told

Been using 98 (Shell & BP) much better economy and fuel range

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

My Tuner tod me to use BP98 it's a more consistent fuel.

Had to use 7 Eleven mobil fuel. Filled up half a tank as usuall. Car feels crap and its not my imagination. Car has always been tuned for 98 BP so not sure if it makes a difference.

Never filling up from there again even if I have to piss in the tank myself. Not as smooth delivery of power as with BP 98.

I agree it is not consistent like the BP 98. Caltex is OK as well. Have also had a tank or 2 with that with no issues.

10. Default

I spoke yesterday to a tuner friend who had a stock MPS on the dyno - these cars ping on 95 fuel - the proof - well, the car came in on 1.2bar(overboost) and settled on 0.7 boost and made 189kw.

Chatted to 3 different tuners and they all agree that the MPS pings on 95 in stock trim.

He chipped the car - pulled the timing and gave it a gradual 1 bar/15psi - it held boost nicely and maintained to the red line - no pinging and made 195kw, so it was safe and made more power as well. torque dropped from 380 to 367nm overall, but a smoother graph was the result throughout the rev range.

My view is that all turbo cars should run at least 98 (unless of course you re-tune to match the 95 fuel).

95 is just too risky with a turbo car - especially when the car you drive has 10:1 compression which is considered high

I had a similar experience to @LOOPYMPS in my BM, got stuck and had to use a united servo. Started knocking with obvious power retard and felt 'odd' to drive. Clearly I got a bad tank and the ecu was trying to look after the engine.

In the MPS I don't use anything but shell vpower or BP ultimate from one of two servos and I've never had an issue.

After my bad experience with united last time I'm too scared to try their 100oct in the MPS.

Maybe I'll get a 98 tune done :-) but how do you be sure you are getting what you pay for at a servo?
    Stock Standard MPS 6 | Opticoat Paint Protection By Caffeine Fiend | Custom GPS, Bluetooth and Digital music integration by Me | Rattles by Mazda

you will never know

i found 7/11 to have really good 98 fuel nowadays, since they cancelled their contract with the Venezuellan fuel suppliers. Mobil 98 is what they use now.

Quote Originally Posted by COBB View Post
    i found 7/11 to have really good 98 fuel nowadays, since they cancelled their contract with the Venezuellan fuel suppliers. Mobil 98 is what they use now.
    Hey Cobb, what do you do for a living, you seem to be up on some interesting facts.

Sent from Samsung Note 2 LTE
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

I use the Bp Ultimate I've found it's given me the most mileage
    Of course it comes down to how you drive :P

The closest petrol station to me only sells E10 & 95
    So I drive the extra miles to go to the closest BP worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Hey Cobb, what do you do for a living, you seem to be up on some interesting facts.

I am an apprentice mechanic. That info is available through google btw, interesting place if you have never heard of it before..

To be honest I've never had a problem with any fuel brand. That said, I've only tried the main three, Caltex, Shell and BP.

The only reason I go with BP is because there's one a few blocks from home.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by COBB View Post
    I am an apprentice mechanic. That info is available through google btw, interesting place if you have never heard of it before..
    I'm asking because you might be able to add something positive, some inside knowledge.

We're trying to bring a better attitude to the club, but those kind of sarcastic comments are a perfect opportunity for people to add or in this case subtract from your reputation score.

If you can't add something constructive, consider not saying anything at all.

Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Has anybody done some logging on a unmolested MPS on some of the fuels?? I would love to see some evidence of all these discussions. I am seriously contemplating the purchase of a logging/tuning package to do some real life tests. The ethanol fuels are suppose to suppress knock so I am not sure whether the information given is correct.

Obviously I cannot compare the MPS on E10 to my Evo that ran on E70-85, but on my Evo it made a huge difference in the amount of boost and timing I could run. On peak torque I could run 8* more timing than on 98 fuel, which is a hell of a lot.

So if anybody has got some logs on the MPS, I would really like to see them.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

it's true for MPS as well... we cant run 100% e85... but 25-33% is enough to reach MBT

my ignition table from 2500-6500 in 500rpm increments:
    1.00 2.00 4.00 6.50 9.00 11.00 13.50 15.50 17.50

98 tune:
    1.00 2.00 3.00 4.00 5.00 6.00 7.00 8.00 9.00
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 14-04-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast