User Tag List

Thread: Advice and maybe some dimensions for hpfp

1. Default Advice and maybe some dimensions for hpfp

Alrighty, been reading the forum over the last few weeks and came across the term, 'zoom, zoom, boom', had a laugh then decided to find out what causes this. At first I though that blokes must be running huge turbos and massive boost with 5000rpm launch, but no, this can happen to anyone.

From what I have read and please feel free to educate me, the big issue is with the stock hpfp and any sort of mods, even mild ones.

So, started looking for aftermarket solutions, jeez, I got some sticker shock! The autotec one is just a piston with collets and some small parts but will cost me close to 400.00 AUD delivered.

What are peoples thoughts on the best route to go with a hpfp ? Are there any OEM pumps used by other manufactures that will give peace of mind ?

Finally, if someone was to send me the dimensions on aftermarket internals I will have a go at machining one. If it is successful I would be happy to offer forum members with a bargain for hpfp internals.

Mike

Just get autotechs or corksport. It's a cheap investment for a $6k engine.

Unless you have experience with this kind of part (high pressure, high speed cam-driven), I wouldn't try making one yourself. Pretty sure they are all heat treated and coated, so just machining it out of some steel wouldn't be a good option. If there really was such a cheaper option, the MSF guys would be all over it by now.

There was some talk on MSF about the new vw pumps, but I don't think try fit, not would they be cheaper than autotechs.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

New vw pumps won't fit
    And the tolerances for the hpfp are very tight... Hundreds/thousands of an inch

Microns and microns.
    The corksport kit addresses what I believe is the actual problem in oem hpfp with the supplied spring however autotech has been proven to be reliable cheaper solution, if you want the ducks nuts then cp-e is the go.

mazda may have fixed this issue in later models but no one risks it.
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 23-11-2014 at 07:43 PM.

5. Default

Thanks for the heads up fellers, I am looking at the Corksport jobbie at the moment. The CP-E looks brilliant and if the budget allows I will go this route.

Its the coating these makers use that would be very hard to duplicate. In another hobby I make parts and accessories out of D2 steel or 4140, machine them to 0.5mm then send them off for heat treating. Then use a tool and cutter grinder or the lathe toolpost grinder to bring it to spec within +/- 0.02mm. Grinders make life very easy for uber precision.

Mike

Yeah there have been a few other manufacturers that have tried and failed! Autotech are proven time and again.

Definitely give Autotech a go , tried and proven many times