User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Engine Build

Ray said the balance shaft delete was the worst thing he ever did......

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Ray said the balance shaft delete was the worst thing he ever did......
    From memory, that was on an engine that was built etc with the balance shaft in...

If you get it all balanced with it deleted, shouldn't be as bad
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

No amount of engine balancing will eliminate second harmonics tho. 4 cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced regardless.

No amount of engine balancing will eliminate second harmonics tho. 4 cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced regardless.
    correct - the only truly balanced 4cyl is the boxer engine.

also - my engine did have individual rotational balancing and the balance shaft can't be attached when balancing the crank.
    I have driven a fellow members car where he did the balance shaft delete and it did have a small increase in vibes which wasn't too bad, but no where near the amount mine had when on boost. The more power the engine is producing the more intense the second harmonics are due to larger amount of rotational momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Yeah but full mounts?
    I have rem and gearbox mount.

Well I figure it can't hurt to try. I can install it later if I'm not happy. Installing it wrong would cause more damage than not installing it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    correct - the only truly balanced 4cyl is the boxer engine.

also - my engine did have individual rotational balancing and the balance shaft can't be attached when balancing the crank.
    I have driven a fellow members car where he did the balance shaft delete and it did have a small increase in vibes which wasn't too bad, but no where near the amount mine had when on boost. The more power the engine is producing the more intense the second harmonics are due to larger amount of rotational momentum.
    Yeah, I understand that an inline 4 cylinder is inherently unbalanced, even more so when going over 2L...

Was saying that a engine that has been balanced without a balance shaft should see less increase in NVH than an engine that was balanced with it, which then had it removed...

Or do I have that wrong?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Balance shaft is only for NVM like you said. Balancing is done without the BS.
    I think every body will experience different levels of unbalance from minor machining differences, assembly etc. I've read of people feeling less vibes after a BSD.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Yeah, I understand that an inline 4 cylinder is inherently unbalanced, even more so when going over 2L...

Was saying that a engine that has been balanced without a balance shaft should see less increase in NVH than an engine that was balanced with it, which then had it removed...

Or do I have that wrong?
    How others have described it is not how it was for me. Was livable without balance shaft, but better with it in.
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 17-09-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Engine and new parts have gone to the machinist today. Full balance being done, block honed and cleaned, head just getting standard clean/rebuild with new seals. Hopefully go back together next week.

What exactly is involved in having an engine balanced? What do they physically do?
    Last edited by Reedy; 29-09-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Firs they weigh the rods and pistons and ensure they are all the same weight and even weight distribution top - bottom - left - right.
    then they spin each rotational part individually to make sure the centre of gravity lays on its axis of rotation. similar concept to when they balance a wheel+tyre when your tyres are changed.

Passing comments combined with personal research mostly

Just spoke to my machinist and he recommended a line bore be done. ARP mains made the tolerances really tight.
    Last edited by ledfootrob; 09-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.

OK so I got all my parts back today and here are some progress shots

Gave the block a quick scrub

BSD & Oil squirters installed. Clearance from piston checked, no worries @Reedy

Crank Installed

I removed 2mm from 2 of the main bolts. They fouled on the balance shaft.

Should be able to finish off the rotating assembly tomorrow.

Pretty lucky on the main studs, mine needed about 3-4mm taken off and needed to use a thinner washer to clear the balance shaft - did you have to take anything from the nut for it to clear?

That issue with the studs is such crap. It's ridiculous that they can sell those as suitable for the MPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    Pretty lucky on the main studs, mine needed about 3-4mm taken off and needed to use a thinner washer to clear the balance shaft - did you have to take anything from the nut for it to clear?
    Just the stud. I probably could have gotten away with less than 2mm too. I'm not installing the balance shaft but if I change my mind later at least that's sorted

Definitely interested to see what you think of the BSD, would like to come from a drive sometime in it as well.

What Engine mounts are you using?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast