User Tag List

Thread: Spark Plugs: Denso vs NGK

1. Default Spark Plugs: Denso vs NGK

Hey guys just wanted to clear the air on some slight misinformation concerning spark plugs.

We get a lot of request for Denso ITV22's because people seem to think they are pre-gapped. I'm not sure where this rumor started (it has been around for as long as I can remember) but the ITV22's are not pre-gapped. They coincidentally come with a gap range of .030 to .032 which is good for the stock heat range plug, but when going with a colder plug you also typically need to reduce the gap. It is recommended to run a spark plug gap of .026 to .028 when you are operating at higher boost levels that require colder plugs.

The following is from Cobb's Website.

Our data has shown that the factory spark plug temperature range (6) and gap (~.034”) are sufficient for stock boost levels and normal driving conditions. Although, operating the car with higher than stock boost levels or with the calibrations that are loaded on the AccessPORT, require that a spark plug gap of .026” - .028” (6.6 – 7.1mm) be used on a 1-step colder temperature plug. Denso currently offers this spark plug as part # ITV22 (please be sure to verify each plug is properly gaped before installing them). Our experience has shown that operating your turbocharged engine at higher than stock boost levels requires that your spark plugs be replaced at around 12,000-15,000 mile intervals.
    NGK also offers a One Step Colder Plug comparable to the Denso ITV22. The NGK (LTR7IX-11) Iridium IX Spark Plug. The gap on these is typically between .035 and .037. Even though the gap is further from the ideal gap with the NGK's, it does not mean that it is harder to achieve the appropriate gap with these plugs.

From a performance stand point, with both sets of plugs gapped properly, you will not be able to tell a difference between the two. I hear stories from die hard believers on both sides about how terrible the other plug is but most of those guys have not had experience with both plugs. They just know a guy or have an uncle who says one thing or the other.

This brings us to availability. Denso ITV22's are currently on a galactic back order. We have had several hundred sets on order since December of 2012. Twice since then we got a shipment of four or five sets in and they sold out immediately. There is no ETA on when the next batch will come in nor how many it will include. However, we do have plenty of NGK Iridium IX's in stock and ready to ship.

So when trying to decide between the two, you don't need to worry so much about which one to get. Instead, just make sure that which ever one you get is properly gapped because they both require proper gapping.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help you out!

Galactic back order...I like that one lol.

only thing i noticed, the ngks seem harder to gap, appears to be stiffer to bend then the densos.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    only thing i noticed, the ngks seem harder to gap, appears to be stiffer to bend then the densos.
    Need a bigger HAMMER lol..

I have had the NGKs gapped at .027 in for around 15000ks running around 21psi and haven't had a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    I have had the NGKs gapped at .027 in for around 15000ks running around 21psi and haven't had a problem with them.
    Same here. I have 2x sets of spares. Always get a set from the US whenever I buy parts. Generally doesn't add too much to postage and way cheaper than here in AUS

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Same here. I have 2x sets of spares. Always get a set from the US whenever I buy parts. Generally doesn't add too much to postage and way cheaper than here in AUS
    Feel like selling one of said sets ?
    "la fortuna favorisce il coraggioso"
    CP-E TMIC, K&N typhoon SRI , COBB 2way adjustable shifter, TWM bushings, Sure AGS 212g knob, JBR 70a trilogy mounts, JBR boost tubes, Medieval 2.5" TIP, 2XS racepipe, 2XS interior light upgrade, Hypertech , RDA slotted front rotors, DGR coilovers, hotchkis RSB, Ultragauge EM, Work CE28N'S in blaze blue, D1 blue lugs

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Likewise i bought 3 sets from Edge at once, and no i aint selling as none of them are a spares, wil be changing to a new set soon once i pull my finger out and install the GTX.
    Raffa send Edge a pm and get a deal done for cheaper postage, they are great to deal with.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Likewise i bought 3 sets from Edge at once, and no i aint selling as none of them are a spares, wil be changing to a new set soon once i pull my finger out and install the GTX.
    Raffa send Edge a pm and get a deal done for cheaper postage, they are great to deal with.
    Completely agree with shaneski about going straight to Edge via pm. I just ordered the NGKs and Autotech internals, delivered to my door in less then a week!

Quote Originally Posted by raffa View Post
    Feel like selling one of said sets ?
    Sorry mate. Check eBay. Good deals from the UK but you generally gotta buy 2 sets.

Easy fix though. Easily sell the spare set on ebay

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

11. Default

Spark plugs don't really add to the cost of shipping most items so if you need some it is a good idea to grab a set when you are ordering other items as well.

Has anyone used the lisle gap tool on the ngks to have this happen? Small indentations on the ground electrode due to the edges of the gapper tool? If so, is it a worry?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	15480

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CHMPS View Post
    Has anyone used the lisle gap tool on the ngks to have this happen? Small indentations on the ground electrode due to the edges of the gapper tool? If so, is it a worry?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	15480
    I'm not sure if that is going to be a huge issue, but it may be worth hitting it with a very fine sand paper or file to smooth it out.