User Tag List

Thread: Help with auto conversion

1. Default Help with auto conversion

Hello Everyone
    I have just converted my MPS to 5 sp Auto. I'm having trouble getting the PCM to recognize the TCM via the CAN network. The car was in at a Mazda dealer yesterday and they said that as the MPS never came with auto from the factory there is no way the PCM will recognize the auto trans ECU without have the PCM flashed. Does this sound right. There is a problem with the old neutral switch wiring which basically needs to be ignored now and the brake pedal needs to be told that there is now no clutch pedal. Because the neutral switch is no longer there both the PCM and the Keyless Entry Module are looking for neutral switch signals. Will the AP allow the PCM to recognize the auto or is there some other route to go down. The car drives beautifully apart from the fact that I can not change down or up manually with either the steering wheel paddles or the shifter. I'm just not sure the guy at Mazda was able to think outside the square.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Moved your post to it's own thread...

and, very few people have done the auto conversion, there was someone in sydney who did it to a white gen 2...

i seriously doubt the ECU will ever recognise the auto as it was never designed for it, and i'm guessing you've installed a different steering wheel cause we dont have paddle shifters...

by this stage you're looking at being so far away from what the stock ECU will likely ever be cracked/modified to support...

Just wondering if you've considered the ecu/gearbox from turbo CX7. Might have been a better option to work with...

4. Default

I had considered it early on however the cx7 is AWD or is there a 2WD version available. I'm just wondering if I use the PCM from an auto CX7 it might get the transmission recognised on the can system. Does anyone know if the engine in the MPS and the CX7 are identical including injection system. I have not changed the steering wheel yet but I do have it. I was given the complete wiring diagrams from Mazda this week which has given me the wiring for the paddle shifters. I can now get those connected. If the cx7 uses the same engine I can get one of those PCMs and then hopefully the can system will recognise the TCM

Thanks for your replies

They're the same engine as far as I'm aware, a check with Mazda should be able to confirm this 😊