User Tag List

Thread: MPS 6 new owner - Cobb flash stage 1 not hitting target boost

1. Default MPS 6 new owner - Cobb flash stage 1 not hitting target boost

Hey guys, I've finally bought myself an MPS 6 after months of debating whether to get a liberty gt or the MPS. I've only had this thing for 2 weeks and I think I made the right decision, its a beautiful car.

The car came with a sure v2 intake with TIP, otherwise stock sitting on 99,000km. A couple of days ago I bought the COBB AP v3 and ran the Stage 1 Sure v2 + TIP 98 tune on it, and it really seemed to wake the car up, felt alot more powerful.

I ran a few logged WOT runs in third gear and I noticed the psi wasn't hitting target boost at all, it was only holding about 14psi, sometimes even tapering down to 13. The car seems to go alright otherwise, don't notice any other issues.

I never ran any logs on the stock tune, but now I'm thinking before the flash it may not even have been hitting anywhere near 14 psi because the car right now feels alot quicker than stock. I thought it was supposed to hold 14 psi stock easy so i'm confused as to why its not even getting close to the 16.5 psi its supposed to hold all the way to 6000rpm on stage 1.

I've gone through this whole forum probably 3 times and still can't seem to work out what could be doin this. Today me and a mate blocked off the BPV to see if that was the issue, however it still only boosted to 14 psi.

I have uploaded a log of the best run it had where it held 14 psi quite well, I hope someone can shed some light on the matter, would be much appreciated.

Ive read somewhere about not boosting it for 20km after a tune so it can fuel trim or something? But i don't understand what that's all about, my previous 2 turbo cars was an s14 and xr6 which were completely different in the tuning department.

Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Welcome. Looks like you might not be alone with the low boost http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18272

Have to take into consideration the the engine is 99000ks old, piston rings valve seals,turbo seals etc will be leaking a tad. Also the heat and humidity (over 30 degrees) can effect targets, colder weather and same tunes can see 3psi more.
    Go over all the intercooler and intake hoses etc and tighten clamps..the logs look safe otherwise

4. Default

Hmm, yeah it makes sense. I did another run later in the night lastnight when it was a bit colder, and it seemed to get to around 15psi and hold that for a while longer. I will look into maybe raising the wgdc, although im a bit scared as I have no experience tuning.

I have a HPFP and test pipe on order, after getting them installed I was going to look at getting an E-tune, so hopefuly that should do the trick. Who do you guys suggest for e-tunes? I keep seeing Rayd being recommended alot

Personal suggestion is freektune or nishan at motiv motorsports...

You sure the FP internals aint already upgraded, it's doing fine in the log considering it's age

7. Default

I'm not sure about internals, I doubt it is though but i can't be sure. Is there any way to check?

I just flashed the car to a stratified stage 1 map, I realise the MAF is not the same as whats on my car but the boost seems to have increased quite nicely.

Heres the log of the run, would it be safe to keep it on this tune? I had a couple peaks of 19 psi on some of the runs, but mainly seemed to stay around 15-16psi. The fuel pump seemed to be fine aswel but not sure how to read other values

8. Default

I got an AP V3 about two weeks ago and immediately flashed my stock bk mps 3 with the cobb stage 1 98 tune. In 3rd I get the same as you, 4th seems to be around half to 1 psi higher. BUT see attached log in 6th. Boost spikes to 17.1 and holds at around 16.5. Incidentally 1st is around 9.5psi, 2nd 13.5psi.

9. Default

I think you need to do a log in third gear from 3000rpm to 6000rpm and post that up. I think its probably to do with the way the tune reacts with your car, custom tune should fix that. The stratified tune kept my boost up around the 15-16 happily in all gears, whereas the COBB was 13-14 psi.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    I think you need to do a log in third gear from 3000rpm to 6000rpm and post that up. I think its probably to do with the way the tune reacts with your car, custom tune should fix that. The stratified tune kept my boost up around the 15-16 happily in all gears, whereas the COBB was 13-14 psi.
    In ALL gears? Surely first isn't boosting that high?
    I figured this was to do with the torque restricting system on the stock tune, and that this limitation to boost was retained by the Cobb stage1 98 tune. Im pretty you can manually adjust boost levels with the AP, but you might need the accesstuner race software, because I cant find the option to do this in the main interface of the AP.

Check out my thread http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/ecu-m...first-log.html for my third and fourth gear WOT logs.

11. Default

yeah you can up the WGDC and that should do it. However I haven't been able to get the racer tuner as their site is down. Once I get it i'll turn up WGDC and let you know how it goes, or if you get to it first let me know how you go

12. Default

WGDC? Maybe you missed the title of my post...it included the word nub.
    I have the software but not the time or the energy to delve into it. Not while my car is still stock anyway, maybe il be motivated to do so once i get my intake and tip on.

Default MPS 6 new owner - Cobb flash stage 1 not hitting target boost

Quote Originally Posted by rocker21 View Post
    I have the software but not the time or the energy to delve into it.
    And here enter our lovely e-tuners

Edit: also ---> http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...d.php?t=170894
    Last edited by Lachlan; 17-12-2014 at 05:30 AM.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    for the link. Seems like an e-tuning bible but cant comment till i join their forum and get access to the dl