User Tag List

Thread: Issues after Cobb tune

Default Issues after Cobb tune

Hi Everyone,

Since tuning my car with the cobb accessport - stage 2, I believe I've been getting boost cut in 5th gear, but im not sure if its boost cut, but its like the car is having a heart attack for a split second (or I have a heart attack). Just wanna know what boost cut feels like and how to get rid of it? Today i changed it down to Stage 1 - 2xs/TIH/IC 98 and got boost cut in 3rd...does boost cut damage the car?

Oh and i started seeing above 1.0 knock retard since having my car on the dyno :S knock retard as high as 3.0

Can knock retard be caused by poor spark plugs?

whilst driving sometimes and changing gear the cars power sorta dies for a split second like it choked a bit, any clue as to what this might be? poor spark plugs?

thanks!
    Current Mods

Cobb Accessport 2XS SRI Protege TIP COBB Tuning Downpipe COBB Catback Exhaust HDI GT2 Pro FMIC HKS SSQ CPE ByPass Valve Autotech Fuel Pump DGR Coilovers Remsa Brake Pads TRW Brake Disks 2XS Short Shift Plate CPE Rear Engine Mount (75 Duro) Defi Boost Gauge JBarone Heavy Gear Knob JBarone Solid Shifter Bushings Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps Mugen Weather Shields Kumho KU31 225/40R18 6000K HID Kit for Low Beam + Fogs COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Denso ITV22

Damm Dan no good! Have you done some logs? Post em! What have you done with your self tuning!

Have you done any data logs of this happening? it should be easier to tell with logs. usually boost cut can happen as a result of two things the first is throttle close, this is when you are over boosting and the throttle will close to counter it, the second is fuel cut, this is when fuel is restricted to reduce boost, if you are getting the fuel cut it apparantly feel like you are going to kiss the windscreen, so mabe you are getting some throttle close. In any case a data log will tell you if you are over boosting and what is going on. all the best with it. Cheers.
    GENII 2009 MPS LUX

Parting Out

Have you gone to colder plugs with the stage 2?

Yeah I'll post up some logs when i can. One step colder spark plugs are on its way I just hate the feeling when you feel like youre going to kiss the windscreen lol!

How high are you boosting?
    When is it cutting RPM wise?
    When are you getting KR?
    Why havent you logged it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    How high are you boosting?
    When is it cutting RPM wise?
    When are you getting KR?
    Why havent you logged it yet?
    RPM cuts off quite early maybe around 4000rpm, im not sure but its not high at all cause it only happens after i change the gear and eyes on the road.

2800-3300rpm is when i experienced the knockin.

tried to force the car to boost cut tonight but roads bit wet so couldnt do it again. and i do log but just not the right time lol!
    Current Mods

Cobb Accessport 2XS SRI Protege TIP COBB Tuning Downpipe COBB Catback Exhaust HDI GT2 Pro FMIC HKS SSQ CPE ByPass Valve Autotech Fuel Pump DGR Coilovers Remsa Brake Pads TRW Brake Disks 2XS Short Shift Plate CPE Rear Engine Mount (75 Duro) Defi Boost Gauge JBarone Heavy Gear Knob JBarone Solid Shifter Bushings Rally Armor Urethane Mud Flaps Mugen Weather Shields Kumho KU31 225/40R18 6000K HID Kit for Low Beam + Fogs COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter Denso ITV22

Quote Originally Posted by MPSDAN View Post
    RPM cuts off quite early maybe around 4000rpm, im not sure but its not high at all cause it only happens after i change the gear and eyes on the road.

2800-3300rpm is when i experienced the knockin.

tried to force the car to boost cut tonight but roads bit wet so couldnt do it again. and i do log but just not the right time lol!
    how do you know its knocking? are you logging with the AP?

this raises a development question i have for the ap - circular logging!!!
    Ie, it starts logging and continually overwrites itself so you can leave it go and stop it after an issue.
    ill raise it with cobb

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

It can log something like 10 hours of data... if that's not enough, not sure how much you want/need

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

log automatically at start up

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    how do you know its knocking? are you logging with the AP?

this raises a development question i have for the ap - circular logging!!!
    Ie, it starts logging and continually overwrites itself so you can leave it go and stop it after an issue.
    ill raise it with cobb

Yeah I've logged it just recently and yea i agree with you on the circular logging! Cause now i have multiple data logs that are useless lol!
    Current Mods

have you found out the cause for this one yet?

make sure you air filter and MAF are clean as they can cause similar if not the same effect that you are experiencing, then if its still happening get new plugs (never clean our plugs with a wire brush, if you have there is a good chance you stuffed them)

Everythings fine now after having it custom tuned by HPFP. No more boost cutting even though at one point it boosted to like 24psi :S

Spark plugs changed to Densos ITV22 now and high KR is rare but still happens sometimes.

Jumping on a dyno anytime soon?
    And did you notice much difference between the stage 2 off the shelf tune and the HPFP custom tune? @MPSDAN

Quote Originally Posted by Ski82 View Post
    Jumping on a dyno anytime soon?
    And did you notice much difference between the stage 2 off the shelf tune and the HPFP custom tune? @MPSDAN
    I did jump on a dyno and heres the result;

Stock with Air intake - 205 WHP
    Stage 2 - 220WHP

These were done on the exact same dyno. But the results i got with stage 2 is poor because i had a lot of knocking. I did a log of it whilst on the dyno and thats how i know.

It seems sorted out now with new spark plugs and tightening everything again, so will hopefully find a chance to go back on the same dyno once more.

First time I was in Stage 2 I thought it wasnt that special, to be honest felt like stage 1 was more aggressive. Now with the custom tune it feels insane all the time. Like extremely violent hahaha! So to answer your question , yes I did feel a huge increase from stage 2, but my custom tune is still on going at the moment
    Current Mods

Hurry up and dyno the fker! Stop trolling more posting kient!