User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning Solution for my MPS6??? Advice Needed...

I hadn’t even considered the Cobb AccessPort. But It looks good, I love the features and it is fully self-contained no laptops in the glove box and things like that like with the versatune.
    It is apparently far cheaper than a custom tune and easy enough to use. When is the ADM version of this looking like being available?

Pete

Peter, you are welcome to come round home and have a chat and a look anytime. Chs. D.

Hi Doug,

I appreciate the offer mate. I may well take you up on it.
    What are you currently running?

PP, See my signature. Boost is set by the Standback PNP at 17.5psi. I know you may not want to fiddle to this extent, and others have suggested a tune pathway that might be agreeable, but you can have a look at the DP that leaves the rest of the exhaust intact, and the TIP, and have a general chat. As the single cheapest and most effective move in terms of $/HP, those two are pretty well at the top as bolt-on strategies. Chs. D.

I have a CorkSport SRI & TIP as well as a TurboSmart BOV. But that is it for the moment.

I’m keen on getting a tune for 98 octane fuel and the intake stuff I’ve already done. I like the idea of the cobb as you get an in car controller and have the option of runing an economy tune as well...

Quote Originally Posted by guitar69 View Post
    Hi Kev

Did you also get Alex from Stratafied to do the tune?
    (Apologies for thread hijack, but it is related).
    I loaded up the Grimmspeed 3port / high load tune - which is one of the base tunes available. Then got my maf calibrated and one of the guys on our UK forum helped me out with making adjustments to get it running good for my car. I simply do a couple logs, email to him and he makes adjustments... I do more logs - this process continues untill we are both happy

I get 35+ mpg when cruising along and instant power when needed.

Alex has done a couple guys cars over in the UK both with great results, if I was to get a downpipe and fuel pump I would also go this route.

It is very similar to the AP - both got base tunes, both allow you to change any table you like... I'm not the best and struggle to understand it all as there is alot of info to take in. The VT forum is a helpfull place - only going to get better too.
    logging is great and you can load up your logs to the virtual dyno for comparison
    Versatune, BNR turbo, 3" catted downpipe, HTP 3" turbo inlet, CPE diff brace/intercooler/intake/enginemount/towplate, Autotech fuel pump, Sure juggernaught, Eibach springs, oil/boost gauges, JBR EGR delete/catch can/Wheel spacers, Corksport boost tubes/rad cap/strut brace/clutch line, NGK iridium IX Plugs, De-cat&custom exhaust, Turbosmart BPV, VG Sharkfin, Snow stage 2 meth with aquamist jet/parts
    301whp 341 lb/ft at the moment

I have had a look at the Cobb AP last night youtube and it looks quite good very plug & play… I was initially leaning toward the Versatune but I don’t like the idea of having a laptop in the car and the amount of stuff you can fiddle with is pretty mega from what I have seen. I’m not interested in making my own custom tunes and things like that I just want it to be easy. To be honest I’m just not that into it I just want to be able to put on a safe & reliable tune from the company and move on I guess. If more mods happen down the track I can change the tune to suit from the list on their website.

It looks to me like the AP has been designed for easy use by punters & enthusiasts, the Versatune looks like it was designed for more intermediate use by home tuners and then you have the stuff sitting above that which only licenced workshops can use (which is better suited to cars with a bunch of mods on them & stuff like new turbos like the BNR conversions)

If I’m wrong and Versatune is as easy to use as the AP appears to be please let me know.

PP, given your current setup, which is fine, as you have attended to the induction side, stick on a DP (~$600) before you do anything else. And you will need to tweak your TS BOV a tad once that has been done but that is a 5 minute task undertaken a few times to get it right and does not take the car off the road (and will still enable the car to run even if you don't get it 100% right first time). You might gain ~20+ Kw from the DP, with no need to mess with the aft section of the exhaust. Your car will stay quiet, and will be reliable, more torquey, responsive and economical without further mods until you feel like doing them, which may be never.

Then you can devote time and research into finding a new tune to suit the new configuration if you want to.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

I'm still sitting on the fence, PP, but I must admit I'm veering towards Versatune.
    I agree with what you say about VT perhaps being geared towards enthusiasts, and AP being a simpler P&P solution, but I think there is probably an enormous crossover zone between the two. No doubt AP can be as complex as you want it to be, and VT can simply be a matter of loading a prepared tune. Regarding the laptop in the car- I believe it only needs to be there for logging purposes, and given that I already have a small netbook, it's not an issue for me, at least.

The clincher for me, I believe, will be having access to people like Alex from Stratafied to oversee what is an enormously complex procedure- regardless of how simple the user interface is, there are just so many things here that can cock-up fairly spectacularly, I like the idea of having an experienced operator overseeing my decisions.

And that, of course, is the guts of it.
    These are my decisions.
    If I decide to run 27lb of boost, no-one is going to be able to stop me, but at least I shall be counselled against it by wiser heads.

See you at the next Perth cruise, perhaps?

Pete.
    Last edited by guitar69; 17-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
    If I’m wrong and Versatune is as easy to use as the AP appears to be please let me know.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Not trying to sway you toward VT, but as Pete already said, you only need the laptop in the car for uploading tunes and data logging. If you use one of the built-in tunes it can be almost plug and play except that you really should calibrate the MAF sensor and I don't think it's a particularly easy process. Alternatively, you can do what i did and pay someone like stratified for an e-tune and they take care of all that complicated stuff.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    Not trying to sway you toward VT, but as Pete already said, you only need the laptop in the car for uploading tunes and data logging. If you use one of the built-in tunes it can be almost plug and play except that you really should calibrate the MAF sensor and I don't think it's a particularly easy process. Alternatively, you can do what i did and pay someone like stratified for an e-tune and they take care of all that complicated stuff.
    you'll probably hate me for linking to MSF, but doesnt seem THAT difficult
    HOW TO CALIBRATE YOUR MAF! With An Example - Mazdaspeed Forums
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    you'll probably hate me for linking to MSF, but doesnt seem THAT difficult
    HOW TO CALIBRATE YOUR MAF! With An Example - Mazdaspeed Forums
    I gave the MAF calibration a try and thought nah too hard for me. You need to do scary things like 'smoothing' the data.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    I gave the MAF calibration a try and thought nah too hard for me. You need to do scary things like 'smoothing' the data.
    sounds interesting
    Hurry up ATR

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Thanks for putting that out there…..
    But all that looks well above my pay grade!!!!

The other option is ChipTorque... if and when the Easy-Flash comes on the market for real, that will be very handy. Plus they've got a fair bit of experience with the MPS. I'm sort of twiddling my thumbs at the moment considering my options, but I'm pretty keen on the Easy-Flash after seeing it in the flesh last year.

Ok... I thought that ChipTorque were over East?
    What are the advantages over something like the VersaTune or the Cobb AP?

I just quickly skimmed the thread, a few points from when I was playing with Versatune and heavily researching Cobb AP to add in to the discussion based on some things written.

- Boost (pressure) based tuning vs load based tuning. Both Cobb AP (ATR) and Versatune give you enough editing options to use either method of tuning, or mix them (i.e. one use could be lower in the rev range tune to a load target, higher revs tune to a boost target).
    - As a very broad statement, it's fair to say the Cobb AP user community tend to favour boost based tuning and the base Versatune tunes are set up as load based.
    - Cobb AP has a range of base tunes available, Versatune has a range of base tunes available
    - Cobb's ATR vs Versatune offers pretty much the same advanced tuning capability (broadly speaking)
    - Both offer flat foot shifting, launch control etc
    - MAF calibration is critical no matter which vendor you go with, and easy to get 80% there but that last 20% of tweaking is the fun part
    - Both vendors have remote tuning options available (see kmh001's posts about Stratified and Versatune, similar exists for Cobb)
    - Versatune relies on having a J2354 compatible cable for OBDII connection and a laptop in the vehicle for logging and uploading tunes, the Cobb AP unit can log and upload tunes to the vehicle but needs a computer to write logged data and tunes to/from the unit (so a desktop computer will suffice).
    - Both can save tunes and share them within their user commuinities, and there's no limit to how many tunes you can make for yourself or save in the tuning software.

Overall Cobb AP and Versatune offer a very similar capability, and it's exciting times for the MPS community in Australia with options like these available!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12