User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine oil

Quote Originally Posted by Ski82 View Post
    Ok just found this interesting article which backs up Grayj and unfortunately puts a downer on the motul oils, worth a look a say!

http://www.royalpurple.com.au/articl...supplement.php
    Great article there. Simplistic but shows what each oil can do. Wondering if the oil rating (xW-xx) makes a difference in this test. Hell...for the amount i paid for the castrol oil that mazda put into me machine I'd rather supply them with some RP.

After looking around, it seems the general conclusion on that test was that it was somewhere between inaccurate and completely irrelevant.
    Apparently that test is more suited to grease or transmission oil than motor oil.

Plus I wonder if royal purple sponsors sc in any way......

Anyway, I wouldn't put any money down on account of this article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    After looking around, it seems the general conclusion on that test was that it was somewhere between inaccurate and completely irrelevant.
    Apparently that test is more suited to grease or transmission oil than motor oil.

I'm half with you on that.

That's for posting of the article was a good read but in terms of what Mazda recommend oil wise only a handful of those oils worked for us.
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

They are all engine oils.
    I don't understand your concern...
    But, everyone is free to use their own knowledge to choose oils, so choose wisely.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

I just don't think that test is worth much. I wouldn't choose royal purple because of what they 'found'. They seem to have learnt a fair bit about oils since the controversy of that first article though

http://www.streetcommodores.com.au/i...132oiltech.pdf

I just don't think that test is worth much. I wouldn't choose royal purple because of what they 'found'. They seem to have learnt a fair bit about oils since the controversy of that first article though

http://www.streetcommodores.com.au/i...132oiltech.pdf

I agree.
    But I'll use Royal Purple because I believe it's a superior to alot of 'oils' out there.
    Use what oil you want, no one cares.
    Use the cheapest, or best packaged, or best branded, or best marketed, or the one that says 'super awesome engine/anus oil'...
    But until you've stripped apart engines and seen the damaged caused by 'quality' oils, don't bag out on certain brands for whatever reason you choose.
    Service your car with whatever and be done with it.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Grajy is right use what oil you feel comfortable with and then stick to it, i've heard that jumping between different oil brands and viscosity isn't particularly great for engines

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    I agree.
    But I'll use Royal Purple because I believe it's a superior to alot of 'oils' out there.
    Use the cheapest, or best packaged, or best branded, or best marketed, or the one that says 'super awesome engine/anus oil'...
    But until you've stripped apart engines and seen the damaged caused by 'quality' oils, don't bag out on certain brands for whatever reason you choose.
    Whowa. Didn't mean to offend, nor was i bagging out any brands.

Thanks for the advice though. I was only interested because I havn't pulled apart engines, but didnt want mine ending up like one of those in a few years.

Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Whowa. Didn't mean to offend, nor was i bagging out any brands.

Thanks for the advice though. I was only interested because I havn't pulled apart engines, but didnt want mine ending up like one of those in a few years.

I just don't like it when forums like this scream for conclusive tests on a product, then when one is done, and results are shown, people refuse to agree. This test was done in Australia, under strict guidelines to ensure a fair test to be carried out.
    Street common-dores is an Ozzie mag. Royal purple and pennzoil are both American racing oils. So I don't see RP sponsoring SC... I'm just surprised that Pennzoil didn't do as well as I thought.
    That article gives everyone who reads it a better judgement for buying an oil product by thoroughly testing each readily available oil.
    And James, viscosity won't have any bearing on results. Viscosity is only used for temperature ratings. This test checked pressure oils break down at, and how much protection they have after they break down.

Lachlan, I'm sorry for having a 'bitch'.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

That's cool.
    Also, that's why I posted the second article, because it goes into detail and seemed pretty useful.

That's cool.
    Also, that's why I posted the second article, because it goes into detail and seemed pretty useful.

Sorry mate. I didn't see a second article. Will check it out soon as I can.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    Motul oils
    +1 on the Motul oils, I've been using them for a very long time on family, friends and my own cars and it is real great stuff.

on my 80,000km I used the 10W40 Turbolight stuff tho now that I'm due for my next service I can't find it, I think they took out the Turbolight bit out and made it a more main stream oil for a broader range of cars.

I've also been told that the Motul Chrono is real good, and a lot of the guy who race SR20DETs on the Datsun forums give it the up
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

13. Default

I agree.
    I will be pulling down an MZR that has been using RP since 20,000 now at 98,000. I will post up photos.
    We also just got another engine (rebuild) we have serviced it four times now with Motul 4100.

Yes it would be better if both engines had the same Kms & same oil from the start. But it will be good for you guys to see.
    These engines are normally very dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by mpsgarage View Post
    I will be pulling down an MZR that has been using RP since 20,000 now at 98,000. I will post up photos.
    We also just got another engine (rebuild) we have serviced it four times now with Motul 4100.

Yes it would be better if both engines had the same Kms & same oil from the start. But it will be good for you guys to see.
    These engines are normally very dirty.
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to it.
    Btw, just wondering, can you guys do Royal Purple at all???
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

And James, viscosity won't have any bearing on results. Viscosity is only used for temperature ratings. This test checked pressure oils break down at, and how much protection they have after they break down.
    Thanks Jon. I love my new name "James", I think it does suit me better than Dennis and my gf does agree with you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    Thanks Jon. I love my new name "James", I think it does suit me better than Dennis and my gf does agree with you as well.
    Shit. Sorry Dman. For some reason I thought your post was put up by Bakis. Lmao.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12