User Tag List

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The definitive gearbox oil thread

I put MT85 in a few weeks ago and the Wong noise which I had prior to it going in (stock oil I'd say) disappeared. Gen 1 btw.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. Default

ahh ok ill give it a try then thnks

Quote Originally Posted by OzMPS747 View Post
    ahh ok ill give it a try then thnks
    Contact Harold from performancelup.com
    Send him an email and he'll fix you up!

--> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

After a road trip of just under 3000km, I now have the wong noise in the Gen II.

Car has just over 20,000km on it.

Today I went and bought three 1 litre bottles of Castrol Syntrans 75W-85 from Repco. Its not cheap at around $31 a bottle so it better be bloody worth it! At least Repco had it on the shelf, Supershit Auto and Auto Pro had to order it in.

I'll let you guys know whats its like when I take the car for a service in the next few weeks. Getting a JBR engine mount installed at the same time.

Wasn't keen on putting in a gl5 oil in so went with the Syntrans instead. The Castrol website and bottle says it can be used in place of Castrol Manual VMX 80W (which is the recommended oil for the Gen II MPS3)

Quote Originally Posted by Brissy_MPS3 View Post
    Castrol Syntrans 75W-85.
    Ok just picked the car up and had a quick thrash including some full right lock starts to test wong.

Gearbox feels slightly smoother so the original oil isn't that bad in that respect.

Wong noise completely gone (from my short drive).

Will update in a few weeks when oil settles in and new rear engine mount softens up a bit.

6. Default

Did an oil change yesterday so I thought I'd contribute to the thread:

Oil: Penrite Pro Gear 75w-85
    Car: 2009 Gen II
    Km changed: 70,000 km, 1st change since i've had the car (30,000km)
    Wong Wong factor: top marks, 10/10. I hadn't noticed it too much before reading this thread, then became painfully aware of it after trawling this thread. Following the oil change it went away, no hint of it
    Other Items: I immediately noticed less torque steer (at least 20% by guesstimation, on top of a suite of mounts- JBR 88a rear, jbr 70 PMM, CS TMM inserts). The shift smoothness was improved, particularly after 20 seconds or so of driving. The car took about 2.6L (2.5L bottle plus 100ml of the 1L bottle) as I had it jacked from the drivers side. The workshop manual says it takes between 2.4L to 2.6L.

I really like this oil and thanks to @slixx for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    Question: At repco's Penrite computer, it said MPS3 takes 2.5L of GB oil. But from what i have seen on threads, people seems to be using a tiny bit more than 2.5L (stop till overflow method)

So, should i go ahead and change the GB oil with just 2.5L (even if its didn't overflow)????
    I was just using that same computer on the weekend and it showed up that the Penrite Trans Gear 75W-80 is the recommended oil. Confirmed that on their website. When I asked the guy at Repco he's like oh you can't use the Pro Gear one. I see a tonne of people using it here and I'm thinking to go the same. Is what the Repco bloke said worth even the time it took me to write this post?

Quote Originally Posted by nUmBa10 View Post
    I was just using that same computer on the weekend and it showed up that the Penrite Trans Gear 75W-80 is the recommended oil. Confirmed that on their website. When I asked the guy at Repco he's like oh you can't use the Pro Gear one. I see a tonne of people using it here and I'm thinking to go the same. Is what the Repco bloke said worth even the time it took me to write this post?
    Funny how i ended up getting the Pro Gear one. Haven't used it and thinking of selling it.....
    When in doubt, power out....of control.

9. Default

Just an update, Nulon smooth shift was a bit the same when I first changed it, but after around 5k of driving 2nd gear crunch is all gone.

Oil: Penrite Pro Gear 75w-90 GL5
    Car: 2008 Gen 1
    Km changed: 100,000 km, 1st change since i've had the car (20,000km)
    Wong Wong factor: 10/10. Can't hear any noise now in the morning when doing a full lock turn..............not that its bothering me that much in the first place anyway.
    Other Items: It might be the first time this car ever had a gearbox oil change, but the car corners noticable better (like it turning with less steering angle to achieve the same turning as before) Shifts alot better when warm, but this oil makes 1st/2nd gear shifting abit hard when cold.
    When in doubt, power out....of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Brissy_MPS3 View Post
    Ok just picked the car up and had a quick thrash including some full right lock starts to test wong.

Gearbox feels slightly smoother so the original oil isn't that bad in that respect.

Wong noise completely gone (from my short drive).

Will update in a few weeks when oil settles in and new rear engine mount softens up a bit.
    Castrol Syntrans 75W-85.

3000km done since mount and oil was changed.

No wong, the first change from 1-2 is still a bit crunchy when cold but is fine if I just shift slowly. Still better than oem oil. By the time I'm a few km down the road the oil has warmed up and the shifts are very smooth.

For comparison, I put the stock mount in to see what it was like. Still smooth but a lot of slop.

Reinstalled mount and a ssp, very smooth and tight (hehe) shifting, with each shift thunking home solidly. A world of difference.

The oil, mount and ssp are a must do.

12. Default

Oil: Castrol VMX80
    Car: 2009 Gen II
    Km changed: 76,000 km, probably the first gearbox oil change its had, since it pissed out like water
    Wong Wong factor: top marks, 8/10.
    Other Items: Just bought the car a couple days ago, after bringing it home and letting it sit there for a couple days i opened her up around town, and noticed notchy 2nd and 3rd, then the every popular crunchy 3rd syndrome. Dropped the oil, it literally pissed out with the viscosity of water. VMX80 in, and its noticeably smoother for now. I was hesitant on VMX80 as ive had turbo subaru's before, and they dont like VMX80 at all, only Redline Shockproof. But i digress, ive also ordered a cpe60, so waiting for that to come in as well and stick it in her.

I'm confused (not that that's hard)

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 MPS and the manual clearly states to use a GL-4 75W-90 oil. I see some of you guys are using a GL-5. Isn't this going to have a negative long team affect on the gearbox?

Also, after reading this whole thread I am none the wiser about which oil I should try. I currently have Redline in the car and its horrible. Heaps of woong wooong noise and notchy between 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd and down shifting 3rd to 2nd. This oil has to go but I don't know what to replace it with.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Douganator View Post
    I'm confused (not that that's hard)

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 MPS and the manual clearly states to use a GL-4 75W-90 oil. I see some of you guys are using a GL-5. Isn't this going to have a negative long team affect on the gearbox?

Also, after reading this whole thread I am none the wiser about which oil I should try. I currently have Redline in the car and its horrible. Heaps of woong wooong noise and notchy between 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd and down shifting 3rd to 2nd. This oil has to go but I don't know what to replace it with.
    keep away from GL-5 sulfurs are not good for brass sincro's.

what redline do you currently have? (hopefully not shockproof) as i have used redline mt85 for a while and prefer it.
    but it does turn to shit after like 25,000km's tbh.

Most common oil that gets good reviews here is the castrol VMX 80 (75-80), but the VMX-M is the 75-85 version.

Default The definitive gearbox oil thread

Is using a W75-80 going to make a difference from the W75-90 that is spec'd?

Yes I am using the MTL oil. Its been crap since the day it went in.
    Last edited by Douganator; 08-05-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Try the vmx80 then, redline is way to expensive if your not happy with how it feels.

Guys, vmx80 is only for gen 2 MPS. For gen 1, use AMSOIL 75W90 or castrol transmax 75W90. Both these are synthetics.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OzCJ View Post
    Guys, vmx80 is only for gen 2 MPS. For gen 1, use AMSOIL 75W90 or castrol transmax 75W90. Both these are synthetics.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
    And enjoy gear shifts only to be matched by that of roadranger.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Quote Originally Posted by 01KDT View Post
    This was posted a while back.
    That's a tick in the box for VMX80.

And this thread becomes more and more confusing. The results of this thread need to be consolidated and added to the first page.

I guess I'll just throw some VMX80 in the Gen 1 and hope for the best.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast