User Tag List

Thread: how to detail a car (if you are totally nuts)

Default how to detail a car (if you are totally nuts)

VxrMarcs 3 month Nurburgring Detail... - Detailing World

um... yeah....

couple of favourite quotes:
    "then Menzerna final finish applied to a very very soft bristle toothbrush and only used on close call areas of hinges"

" then once settled wiped away using coton buds"

" So even though i fully appreciate that white is never going to benefit from the looks like any other colour it is a personal goal for me over 3 weeks to apply 51 layers 3 layers per day with the zfx kit.."

finished engine bay looks nice tho

" Callipers also cleaned aswell and hand waxed with zy...mol Concours although i have a set of AP Racing brakes to go on shortly but its irrelevant as they are on here for now.... Inever ever use acidic wheel cleaner on my brakes as this dulls the calliper paintwork."

" Jetseal left for about 1 hr and buffed off"

" I wanted Eibach Sportlines for the car as i get around a 40mm drop and i like the stance of the car....Springs also waxed in 2 layers..."

" Exhaust was zaino z2pro,ed although im not sure it will last long but ive given it a go..."

sway bar was painted

it's... yeah... well, something... insane doesnt seem to do it justice

thanks to premhk for the link
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Sif post crap from 3 years ago

Wow, I think I need to change the battery in my mouse now (scrolling heaps) Is he married by any chance?!

When I sell my car, can I still write "well looked after?" Or does that mean nothing after seeing that
    Last edited by rogwick; 14-03-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Wow, I think I need to change the battery in my mouse now (scrolling heaps) Is he married by any chance?!
    If he is I imagine she would be well waxed.

Hmmmm even I'd call that somewhat extreme

Having said that, the paint correction process I just went through with mine took the better part of 8 hours on Saturday. This was going over every square inch of every panel using 3 different hand held light sources, fluorescent, incandescent, and LED (well four if you also count backing the car out of the garage into direct sunlight for final inspection)

Paint correction was a two stage process using Lake Country machine pads. First with the heavier cut orange to remove any scratching, then the lighter white pad to machine out any light hazing in the clear (which was minimal anyway). Final polish was applied with a third Lake Country no-cut red pad.

This was outside of the wash and full claybar before the paint correction, and then the application of paint protection layers after

All in all, total time working on the car this weekend was about 14 hours, including 2 hours on the wheels and inside the guards alone

So I'm not really one to comment on others' cleaning habits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 14-03-2011 at 09:27 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Why? u cant drive it after....

3 month Nurburgring detail

My brain hurts...

I haven't got more than one lifetime! Interesting stuff though. I'm intrigued by the woolen mitts, sun-guns and hand waxing. And all for an Astra???
    I imagined something like it might be necessary when I repainted a Maserati Quattroporte a nice super-deep Cab Sav burgundy colour, but a VXR Astra??

I can appreciate the effort etc... but to take a paint depth gauge to examine it on delivery and whinge about stickers... Sure, a one off Pininfarina you'd do something like that... but to go that that kind of anal retentiveness about paint depth on a factory car THEN MOD it...
    argh it's a $(@#ing Astra... doesn't matter what you do, it's still an Astra!

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

ROFL... I just got to the bit about the Whiteline sway bars... "Sway Bars and NO BLING"

good old Whiteline...

But, it's still a white car

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I haven't got more than one lifetime!

Blog Entries

That took longer to browse through without reading everything than it would to give the car a wash and wax.

And people think I am crazy spending a weekend on mine, only to do another minor wash and wax a few weeks later.

nuts lol

holy crap.

I kept scrolling with my wheel-mouse and the page kept jumping as it loaded more and more and more photos !

Bet you his house is a tip

I was having nightmares about the colouration of them after only 100 miles <-- How does that man function as a human. I'm surprised he manages to get the house at all!
    "It's 4pm you were supposed to be at work by 8am"
    "I'm sorry I had to iron my shirt 17 times and then I ran out of toothpaste after the 25th time brushing my teeth. I was inspecting my clothes for pills under the microscope and found 23 of them, not visible to the naked eye but there none the less so I was removing them."

Also am I the only one that imagines him selling the car if it gets bird crap on it?

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    If he is I imagine she would be well waxed.

he has degreased, cleaned the wheels, snow foamed (??), shampoo'ed and clayed the car and his comment is "fairly clean...."

EDIT: This keeps getting better as you read, Baaahahahaahaha "Now i then spotted a problem on the roof which i was really unhappy about...A small paint blob about half a mm in size but none the less its there probably a spit from the spray gun..."
    Must'a broke out the micrometer to gauge that one...
    Last edited by Dices; 01-10-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Dices......shoosh now Marty......

2010 BL 3 MPS Lux - MPS-101 | CP-e SRI, TIP, TMIC, DP| CS Air Box | Cobb AP | Autotech HPFP internals
    Turbosmart Dual Port BPV | REM 60 Durio | Dashmate-mat | Lakin | Carbon vinyl M | Sharks fin | therpmstore gas struts
    Tints, Dark | Tail Lights Tinted | Rear Reflector LED's | Twin DRL's | Mirrors w/ turn signal LEDs

Not Installed yet : Prosport Boost, Water & EGT | Fog HID's

WISH list : Springs | New Rims | Big Brakes

Congrats to who ever bought them selves a vrx lemon i know as i had one only kept it a year then happly got rid of it to many problems all astras and vectras if auto trans cant b changed its a sealed unit so no new oil and they last about 4/5 yrs if u drive like granny then theres the TCM, ECU, crusie con. All these have a major flaw that they will need replacing then the sensors as well dont leave it in the sun with the bonnet open as they seem to dislike this very much but nice car though my cousin had the same issues as me...
    05 VR 6 MPS LUXURY - WHATS STOCK????
    Winner of Most modified @ Smokeys car meet
    UP an coming events: Winton Track day 17th December

Remember pay by the 16th of November and get free lunch and drinks on day
    Next install: New Head, ARP Studs, Upgraded VVT, BSD, Mazdaspeed Coil Cover, Injector seals + studs