User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Take care polishing the Gen 2 MPS

The paint must have been ultra thin! Do you travel to Sydney much? i would love to grab some readings before you get it fixed.

What could have happened is that during pre delivery the detailer hit it hard with the buff along the ridge leaving almost nothing there and so all it took was that small bit of cut you did to finish it off

Anything is possible mate. I wasnt particularly happy with their pre delivery detail but preferred to fix it myself rather than let them butcher it further.

Probably wont have time as it is getting fixed hopefully next week.

I will see if they can take some readings though and will pass them on to you.

The panel shop I took it to said that when it burned through the clear it also took the top layer of paint with it too. Only the base coat is left there now.

You can actually see the undercoat through the base its that thin.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Burn through on an RO. Now I've seen everything!

Shit. Although I have not used a 203s on my bonnet, I have used the Final Finish Hi Gloss with outstanding results with my FR RO on a speed of 9.

HTF did that happen to you, buddy? I suspect some super dodgey pre-delivery.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kebabylon View Post
    Shit. Although I have not used a 203s on my bonnet, I have used the Final Finish Hi Gloss with outstanding results with my FR RO on a speed of 9.

HTF did that happen to you, buddy? I suspect some super dodgey pre-delivery.

Mark
    I think you have hit the nail on the head there buddy! Whilst thin the mazda paint is usually very hard as well which makes RO strike through very unlikely

Wow that sucks! Why i need a PTG sooner rather than later!

Yes it could have been avoided i suppose. Sucks so much though.

I wish I could have avoided it.

But how on earth could anyone guess that a quick blast with hi cut polish would burn through like that.

Ive never seen anything like it since I first started detailing.

Hell I used to do pre-delivery detailing for HSV's so I am not exactly a noob at the detailing game.

Just hope you fellow detailers take this on board and exercise caution with future gen 2 details.

Before i do any machine polishing, even light cutting, i take paint thickness reading. I have turned down jobs before because i didnt feel that there was a safe level of film build.

Dan, Im on New Line Rd in West Pennant Hills. I would love to get a paint reading on this thing at some point in time when you may be driving past. You can see that its thin as shit tho. If you're keen, let me know and I'll PM you my number.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kebabylon View Post
    Dan, Im on New Line Rd in West Pennant Hills. I would love to get a paint reading on this thing at some point in time when you may be driving past. You can see that its thin as shit tho. If you're keen, let me know and I'll PM you my number.

Mark
    My missus lives in WPH off highs rd so i'm over there all the time. Send me your number by pm or text and ill let you know next time i'm near. I might be able to stop in tomorrow afternoon.

i will be interested to see what the paint thickness comes back as.

I took some reading from a Gen2 3 i did thye other day. Its not an MPS but it dosnt matter. they are all the same.

Bonnet average was around 110 micron
    Roof was around 80 micron
    doors were around 90 at the top and tapered town towards the 70 mark at the bottom.

From my experience this is standard with the Mazdas and not at all excessively thin, especially for such a hard paint.

I think that there is a definite flaw with the OP's paint OR the pre delivery detailers buffed it to an inch of its life and the OP finished the job.

Can you claim this under warranty? I am a noob when it comes to detailing so i can assume i am never going to use the products mentioned here (RO, M203 eg) but seriously worried that if i take my car to a detailer that this may happen

Quote Originally Posted by MPShiv View Post
    Can you claim this under warranty? I am a noob when it comes to detailing so i can assume i am never going to use the products mentioned here (RO, M203 eg) but seriously worried that if i take my car to a detailer that this may happen
    Doubt it. Its not a fault with the paint as far as i know. Its just thin. If the pre delivery detail had removed enough clear so that this had happened before the OP buffed it themselves then yes it would be up to the dealer to fix it.

As for taking your car to a pro, just make sure that they use a paint thickness guage so they know how much paint they have to play with

hey guys, ive been checking out this site for the last few weeks, going to be putting down a deposit on a new MPS this weekend.
    Anyway, ive worked as a spraypainter for the last 13yrs in panelshops.
    ive also painted this Velocity red many times. You have to be carefull on the body lines as it will definately rub through easier in these areas. All you can really do with a colour like that is brush it then leave it. thats it. if you tried to polish it up, that really isnt going to work as unless you have put some clear on it, and added hardner in the clear, your trying to polish the basecoat up, which doesnt work. I hope this helps.
    Also someone said here something about water based clear???
    yes its true that in europe most automotive paint work is water based. But that is the basecoat for metallic/pearl colours not the top coat. I use Glasurit paint where i work which is from Germany, and i have talked to the paint rep about this whole water based thing, companys are trying to come out with a waterbased clear/topcoat. but it just doesnt work yet. There are already many shops here using waterbased glasurit paint, but it still requires the same 2 pack clear to be applied over the top of it.

Hi cotn, I have a quick question, and I have always wondered, realistically how easy is the VR to respay after an incident, as opposed to other colours. For that matter the metalic white on our cx9 as well. I understand that white is probably one of the easier colours to match/blend in/do what ever it you guys do, but how do you match the metalicness (is that a word) in the paint? It would really shit me if the paint looked good, but the metalicness varied.

Or am i so off the mark and really dont understand teh process at all??
    Timbo

14 Mazda BT50 xt Boss Kit
    13 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    10 VR 3 Neo
    08 CX9 Luxury (sold)
    09 VR 3 MPS Luxury (sold)

Hi PerthMPS, Both of those colours are far more difficult to paint than an ordinary metallic/pearl colour as they are whats called '3 layer pearls' meaning that for the velocity red you actually need to put down a white base first then the red pearlcoat which you can actually see through to the white base. This gives it a brighter look. then clearcoat. Same with the white pearl thats on your CX9. We put down a solid white first then the pearlcoat over the top, then clear. The white is about as hard as it gets for colour matching, As the colour gets darker with each coat of pearl applied. We just have to make sure we blend all the panels next to the repair area. meaning a small repair can get quite big very easily. All i can say is that if your not happy with any paintwork or repairs, take it straight back and they will have to fix it for you. To answer your question about matching the amount of 'sparkle' in the white, it depends how many coats of pearl we put on over the white, as the pearlcoat for that colour is 'see through' so the more coats we put on, the more it has that pearl 'sparkle' effect.
    Hope i was able to explain that well enough.

Thanks, that is a great answer. Since I asked the question both the 9 and the 3 have recieved very small minor dents from unknown events. Would be the kind you would not woory about, or use paintless dent removal.

Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12