User Tag List

Thread: Minor gutter rash repair - paint availability?

Default Minor gutter rash repair - paint availability?

Hi,

I've some minor gutter rash on my stock Gen 1 rims (povo pack, silver colour) I'd like to touch up, can anyone advise on paint code or stockists? Would the local Mazda dealership sell it?

Thanks

JB

There is no paint code as such. And Mazda wouldn't sell paint for them

My suggestion would be to go to a good paint supplier. Some have a Spectrograph that cat scan and formulate the colour.
    Or someone experienced can custom match something.

I've had luck finding a colour code to suit ROH and Enkei made wheels (BA Falcon GT wheels) through a paint supplier.
    No point asking professional wheel repairers, they were not much help obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Hi,

I've some minor gutter rash on my stock Gen 1 rims (povo pack, silver colour) I'd like to touch up, can anyone advise on paint code or stockists? Would the local Mazda dealership sell it?

Thanks

JB
    Mazda probably will not @Byrd
    I get my rims fixed from Magic Hand Car Wash in Vermont South

Awesome PDR guy they have there and reasonably priced between $120-$150 a wheel. I can never tell where the gutter rash was after they finish it.

If you're interested let them know I sent ya

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Thanks all for suggestions - the rash is minor (just on the edge on a couple of rims), and I'm more pissed at myself for doing it in my "new" MPS of 3 months. Parking in inner city does that I suppose.

Googling around, the best match for a stock rim from Mazda themselves is Sunlight Silver 22V, I'm going to try it out and will report back with results.
    Last edited by Byrd; 10-04-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Default Minor gutter rash repair - paint availability?

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Thanks all for suggestions - the rash is minor (just on the edge on a couple of rims), and I'm more pissed at myself for doing it in my "new" MPS of 3 months. Parking in inner city does that I suppose.

Googling around, the best match for a stock rim from Mazda themselves is Sunlight Silver 22V, I'm going to try it out and will report back with results.
    Good luck mate. Post up some pics with the results. Hope it works out!!

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Thanks, but I don't need wheel repair - just a basic touch up.

Pleased to report that Mazda touch-up Sunlight Silver 22V is an excellent match for stock MPS (non-chromed) rims. I can't notice much of a difference, although the rash is still there obviously. Will scrub it back again with a dremel and re-paint it properly soon.

Depending on your patients. I repaired my badly rashed RX8 wheels by using a file to smooth the sharp bits, then just filled the lows with paint, let it go hard, add more if needed, give a light sand to smooth the lumpy paint then a light touch up over the whole area.
    If your careful nobody will see the repair.

Also works if you plan to paint the whole wheel. You just don't need to be quite as careful if you do that..

And on the wheel repair topic for general interest sake.
    Bunnings (and other similar stores i'm sure) sell a product called Knead-it.
    Its like metal play-doh.
    Fills gutter rash nicely if the wheels are back to bare metal and stands up to being powder coated after.

If your handy with sand paper its a whole lot cheaper to get your wheels sand blasted, then fix the rash yourself then have them powder coated than paying a pro to fix them
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims