User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan's Garage - White Mazda 3 MPS - Paint Correction

Default Dan's Garage - White Mazda 3 MPS - Paint Correction

On Saturday I worked on Silverathlon's pearl metallic white Gen II MPS.

Firstly, my apologies to Silverathlon. Most of the photos I took of the work in progress unfortunately came out far too blurry to use. I think I need a better camera

I will post up what I have

Being a still quite new car, you' might expect there wouldn't be a lot in the way of surface contaminants on the paint, but they were still there in force. Most likely from the trip over to Aus or from sitting in the factory yard

These shots show the ferrous surface contaminants being removed. The pinkish red streaks are from the chemical I use. It's clear but turns that reddish colour when it reacts with ferrous contaminants and starts removing them.

The car has already had one strong detergent wash prior to this chemical application. So what you're seeing here is pure chemical reaction with these surface contaminants. The surface itself was quite free of loose dirt etc.

The vinyl wrap on the roof also had some light water marking (as well as some other crud, 90% of which came off with a strong detergent wash)

The paint surface itself seemed quite swirl free. A credit to Silverathlon and his washing methods.

There were however some areas of light scratching and also sections where the adhesive from the protective shipping coating was still on the car

So a single stage polish with a light pad was all that was required to remove this marring

Some final shots

Roof cleaned up and also layered with a waterproofing sealant. Not strictly required, but I've found it makes it slightly easier to maintain:

Total Time: 7 hrs
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

(Insert usual grumblings about dan making me feel bad about current state of car)

That is a very nice looking white mps tho!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Looks great Dan nice work, sooo shiny. Bonnet shots look great. All these genpu's are making me feel bad

My camera doesn't to the colour justice in the outdoor shots.

SLR time methinks......

Wow. Love it
    Love the vinyl roof

Dan was it more difficult to see the problem areas on the white compared to say my black?

Peter "SLIXX"

Dan's the man, he does it again!

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Wow. Love it
    Love the vinyl roof

Dan was it more difficult to see the problem areas on the white compared to say my black?

Peter "SLIXX"
    Under the lights it wasn't much harder. In daylight it's much harder to spot bits like the adhesive marring. Would have been fairly easy for a mobile detailer to miss it (ie working in sunlight, without specific lighting)
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Anothet change undies moment. Beautiful work Dan. How good is the white? Good or really good? Vinyl roof is a winner, nice work Silver...something something

Heheheh thanks Brad.

The white is a very nice colour. Not as much pearl as the Subi white, but very nice nonetheless

It does need a decent wax to really bring out the metallic though. More so than any other MPS colour I've worked on (and I've worked on all the Gen II colours now). Its a much more subtle metallic and can easily be perceived as a non metallic gloss without "chemical assistance"

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 27-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.

I'm still thinking a tour of Queensland for some detailing is in need

First of all thanks heaps to Dan for all his hard work! Add to that, it was a scorcher of a day in Melbourne.
    He did a brilliant job and I'm super happy with the results. Not that there was much damage to start with like Dan mentioned, but now the surface of the car is just buttery smooth.
    The pictures really don't do Dan's work any justice, and it needs to be see in person. Also like Dan mentioned its a lot harder to see the results on the white, compared to other colours.

Thanks again Dan

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Vinyl roof is a winner, nice work Silver...something something
    Thanks Brad! Next on my list is black wheels!

Sean.

12. Default

Amazing looking work

Quick question with that purple chemical you used, what is it and how does it work? Do you just apply and then rinse off? I have seen something similar used on wheels I think and it came out amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by willdenness View Post
    Amazing looking work

Quick question with that purple chemical you used, what is it and how does it work? Do you just apply and then rinse off? I have seen something similar used on wheels I think and it came out amazing.
    Hi,

It's called IronX. It's an acid-based product which attacks and removes ferrous particulates on the paint and wheel surface (brake dust, rail dust etc). It's clear but turns purple when it reacts with this surface contamination

There's another product called Finish Kare SIRR, which I actually prefer. It does the same job, but doesn't turn purple (turning purple is cool for about 30 sec, but it gets pretty old pretty fast). SIRR also smells a lot nicer (IronX reeks to high heaven)

Finish Kare SIRR Steel, Iron Rust Remover 946ml

Don't know whether I would want to use this on my wheels? Would it affect the rubber since it's acid based?

Its fine as long as you don't leave it to dry on the panels or wheels. A dwell time of 5 mins or less is best.

Wouldn't recommend though for paint protected panels.

I reckon the bonnet scoop needs to be black too.. nice work michelin man.. Dan do we get a "group buy" discount? lol

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

You can do my HK but I cant drive it to you btw lol...

Quote Originally Posted by premhk View Post
    Dan do we get a "group buy" discount? lol

Nope, we've spoken about this. I make sweet FA. Enough to cover my costs + a little for my time. I'm already less than half the cost of a pro detailer that would do the same level of work. Ask John @Jrbris how much he was quoted by a local pro detailer to do a day's worth of paint correction work.

I know you're joking (sort of, but not really, am I right?), but seriously dude if you want cheaper work done I am not the person to talk to.

But feel free to call me when the cut-price dude completely f*cks your paintwork, though I can't guarantee my rates will be as reasonable in that situation

By the way, if it sounds like I'm a little touchy about this......you're damned right I am. I work my arse off on every car that comes my way for what is, after costs, the equivalent of what a dishwasher in a kitchen would make. As I have said on MANY occasions, I do it because I enjoy it, but I absolutely REFUSE to do it at a loss.

Frankly asking me to discount my price, and this is not the first time, is an insult, joking or otherwise

That's all I am going to say on the matter.
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 14-05-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Nope, we've spoken about this. I make sweet FA. Enough to cover my costs + a little for my time. I'm already less than half the cost of a pro detailer that would do the same level of work. Ask John @Jrbris how much he was quoted by a local pro detailer to do a day's worth of paint correction work.

I know you're joking (sort of, but not really, am I right?), but seriously dude if you want cheaper work done I am not the person to talk to.

But feel free to call me when the cut-price dude completely f*cks your paintwork, though I can't guarantee my rates will be as reasonable in that situation

By the way, if it sounds like I'm a little touchy about this......you're damned right I am. I work my arse off on every car that comes my way for what is, after costs, the equivalent of what a dishwasher in a kitchen would make. As I have said on MANY occasions, I do it because I enjoy it, but I absolutely REFUSE to do it at a loss.

Frankly asking me to discount my price, and this is not the first time, is an insult, joking or otherwise

That's all I am going to say on the matter.
    i got quoted for full detail and paint correction $700
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    i got quoted for full detail and paint correction $700
    Thanks John

As a point of reference, for a day's worth of work equivalent to what John got quoted I ask for $250. I don't clock off when it gets dark either. If it needs more work I keep at it, sometimes working up to 15hrs straight, no breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Thanks John

As a point of reference, for a day's worth of work equivalent to what John got quoted I ask for $250. I don't clock off when it gets dark either. If it needs more work I keep at it, sometimes working up to 15hrs straight, no breaks.
    need a detailer in qld, i want them prices damnit..
    M P S - 3 - | K&N Filter | AEM CAI | CES Racing TIP | CES Racing Dumppipe | CES Racing 3" Stainless Exhaust | | 200CEL CAT | Pedders XA Extreme Coilovers | JBR REM | Painted Badges | COBB AP Stage 2 | JBR Heavy Gear Shit | FMIC |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast