User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoddy job by smash repairer

The manager called me today, was somewhat apologetic and asked for me to come in next Tuesday and ask for him.

Shall see how things go. I'm not out to name and shame yet - If they rectify everything, I'll be happy.

2. Default

Start writing things down though, just in case. Calls, names, times, things said in detail.

Regardless of "old car" or not, you've asked them to repair your car and I would expect nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
    Start writing things down though, just in case. Calls, names, times, things said in detail.

Regardless of "old car" or not, you've asked them to repair your car and I would expect nothing less.
    Yep, I agree 100% Jaeryl

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Done that...I have a habit of writing down things like that

Good Luck I have my fingers crossed for you

What a disgrace
    My heart goes out to you
    Had something similar on my wifes brand new Huyandi.
    Firstly argued with the insurer (lots of AA's in the name) about who should do the repair.
    I wanted to go to someone I new I could trust.
    The insurer guaranteed their repairer would do a perfect job.
    The insurer has a duty to inspect the car before you pick it up to verify the work has been done correctly. They did not on my case and certainly did not in yours.
    Morning after picking up the car I drove straight to the insurers depot where customers drop off for repair. Parked my car adjacent to the reception desk and once someone had the guts to serve me I let them know my disatisfaction at a voice level that made sure every other customer knew what was going on.
    They tried to short circuit the situation by inviting me into the manger's office. I recipricated by inviting the manager out to look at the car. Anyway I ranted at the top of my voice for about 20minutes even when they weren't listening.
    Got the right result the manager had to finally come out and once I had his attention I had my solution because I just simply would not let him go. Never made another phone call just turned up at reception and started yelling.
    Definitely name, shame and abuse and don't let the insurer of the hook thats where you pay your good money for protection.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    What a disgrace
    My heart goes out to you
    Firstly argued with the insurer (lots of AA's in the name) about who should do the repair.
    The insurer has a duty to inspect the car before you pick it up to verify the work has been done correctly. They did not on my case and certainly did not in yours.
    Morning after picking up the car I drove straight to the insurers depot where customers drop off for repair. Parked my car adjacent to the reception desk and once someone had the guts to serve me I let them know my disatisfaction at a voice level that made sure every other customer knew what was going on.
    They tried to short circuit the situation by inviting me into the manger's office. I recipricated by inviting the manager out to look at the car. Anyway I ranted at the top of my voice for about 20minutes even when they weren't listening.
    Got the right result the manager had to finally come out and once I had his attention I had my solution because I just simply would not let him go. Never made another phone call just turned up at reception and started yelling.
    Definitely name, shame and abuse and don't let the insurer of the hook thats where you pay your good money for protection.

Good luck.
    you're an asshole...
    unless the manager or a person under his charge is the one that sent your car there, you had no right to act like that... and even if they were, there is no need to yell at people

OP, hope things are progressing well
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    What a disgrace
    My heart goes out to you

Good luck.
    First, although you had a bad repair done on the car, shouting at the top of your voice is clearly the way a child would act and thinking acting like that is gonna resolve the problem is wrong.

Your the reason why people hate working retail, because in this case you the customer has acted like a massive cock and your in the wrong.

Just because you have paid your "good" money it gives you no right to abuse and shout at staff members. In this case I would say your insurer would be better off without your "good" money and then they won't have to ever deal with you again.

You sir are a cock and your actions are cowardly and the actions of a child who throws his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his own way.

OP: Sounds like things are progressing well and the insurer are trying to resolve the situation as best as possible.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Logan; 18-08-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Agreed with both Andy and Sam.

You might like to argue that you got results, well I promise you didn't, if you had have walked in and had a rational conversation with them, you would have got the same results.
    Think that buy yelling infront of other customers will make them take their business elsewhere?
    Doubtful, they would just look at you and think what an idiot (and rightly so)

I've been in that industry, I've had customers like you, and believe me, what you did achieves nothing.
    I have one very good story of a customer that complained about everything, and none of it was in any way related to anything we did, but he just kept jumping up and down about it.
    End result, the insurance company got the last laugh when the guy finally realised that his car was a bent heap of junk that's had more hits than Elvis. Tried to do an insurance job, pushed it off a cliff not knowing that because of what he did, his car was inspected and the value was dropped from $10,000 to $2500.

The damage is already done, just stay clear from such places and if you were kind enough, let your mates know about it. I know it hurts to see a poor job done after paying good dollars on them.

Wal - your forgetting one thing, you didn't pay for the job, the insurance company did, so they are on your side, no need to yell at them.
    They operate on your behalf, they want the job done as well as you want it done.
    What the insurance company can do to a bad panel shop if far greater than what you can do.

They just black list the panel shop and no longer send work their way.

12. Default

you are saying right kelvin. its very painful.

Talking to a few in the industry, Insurance companies who choose the repairer will generally instruct repairers what to do or what to cut out of a quote to cut costs.

I can understand to some extent where Wal is coming from. I've spent over $5,500 to have full comprehensive cover on my Mazda over the last 5-6 odd years (probably not the cheapest, but it's getting cheaper every year). Actually it will be over $6,500 now that I have spent $500 on general excess and $450 on age excess (24yo). With all the money you spend with your insurance company - you expect they will get a good job done on your behalf. Still, when there is an issue first time around, it's best to be firm, but still pleasant about it all. I know it can be frustrating having to run around all over again. It's only after multiple requests without action you can start to be narky about it IMO.

SGIO invite you to a quality inspection afterwards, they don't inspect the car before you collect it from the repairer. I called them right away figuring they were the ones that paid for it to be repaired at one of their "authorised" repairers. Gives them an opportunity to see the quality of work by their authorised repairer and make the decision weather to send other cars to that repairer in the future I guess.

I was pretty thorough and to the point when the assessor came out to look at my car, and gave him a list of the imperfections. I think he came to the conclusion pretty quickly that I am very particular about my car and am not the average person who just want's a dent fixed up.

Despite all this it does not give the repairer the right to let work out the door like what they have done to my car. I suspect that my car being pretty old, despite it's newish condition, they gave it to a relatively inexperienced apprentice to complete with little or no supervision. You would have expected there to be a quality check at the end by someone more experienced too - maybe it slipped through the net - who knows.

The Manager explained to me he was away last week when my car was being fixed - I'm not sure if this was an excuse for the poor work, or just something extra to say in our very short conversation on the phone.

Anyway - in on Tuesday to get it all fixed - the manager said to ask to see him when I get there, so obviously he is taking it somewhat seriously.

Good stuff mate. At least they know now that you'll be going over the car carefully, so hopefully they'll act accordingly and do the job well.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Good news mate.. hopefully everything will be sorted accordingly!

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Wal - your forgetting one thing, you didn't pay for the job, the insurance company did, so they are on your side, no need to yell at them.
    They operate on your behalf, they want the job done as well as you want it done.
    What the insurance company can do to a bad panel shop if far greater than what you can do.

They just black list the panel shop and no longer send work their way.
    Lets keep it real. The business imperative for insurance companies is to spend as little as possible to absolve themselves of liability for the claim and thereby make a profit. The only side insurance companies are on is their own side, and the (false) suggestion they act on behalf of the claimant is the realm of TV advertising. I'm surprised you (as a former panel beater) would attempt to defend the same insurance companies that have used their musscle to do all kinds of dodgy things to the repair industry in the name of maximising their profits.

Gone to Volvo

I'm just saying that they want to know that they are getting value for their money aswell.
    Believe me, I'll never defend an insurance company. But I've been on the other side where insurance companies make life very difficult for the panel shop if either they or the customer is not happy with the repairs.
    What insurance companies pay panel shops it less than pathetic, its no wonder there are so many bad shops out there. If you want to survive, you must cut corners.
    In the vast majority of cases, the insurance company sides with the customer. That's the point I was trying to get across.

Blog Entries

Just keep hassling the assessor until it is done to your satisfaction. He doesn't want to spend any more time on the job than necessary so if you keep on his back it should get fixed properly now.

You may even want to get the assessor to inspect the car with you when you pick it up next time. This isn't normally done but you can ask.

I plan to at least shoot him an email after it's all sorted anyway

Well that got a reaction didn't it
    Thanks for the abuse guy's. For those who like to call people by abusive names maybe you should take a look in the mirror sometime you might see one looking right back at you.
    Of course they were the ones that sent it to the repairer in the first place. They fellow (note i didn't use AH) I confronted was the one who assured me in the first place that their repairer would do a 100% job .
    They didn't even bother going to look at the car when it was finished just rang me and told me it was ready to pick up.
    Their attitude when I took it back and complained was - you just have to take it back and we will have it fixed (this is after waiting 2 months for something they originally said would talke 2 weeks).
    I asked about alternative transport. Guess what that was my problem.
    You are deluded if you think an insurance company is "on your side" and want the same quality job as you do. What they want is the cheapest fix for them and you to accept the result without question.
    And by the way the panel shop still does work for the insurance company - black listed - not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast