User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ezy-FLASH Pro for Mazda

1. Default Ezy-FLASH Pro for Mazda

I have started this new thread as a central place for Ezy-FLASH Pro discussion. This information is based on post I have made in discussions in other general threads.

08/09/2009

In recent years ChipTorque's tuning/product development has been heading in the direction of reflashing the factory engine management control in vehicles such as Mitsubishi, Subaru and now Mazda. Reflashing, also known as Flash Tuning is carried out by reading the factory tune from the vehicle's engine management system (ECU). Using our in-house tuning software our tuners then make specific changes to the tune, based on analysing the vehicle's driveability, air fuel ratio and engine sensor operation on our dyno. These improvements are repeatedly uploaded back into the factory ECU and retested through dyno analysis until we achieve optimal results in the vehicle's overall driveability and performance. This is the current service ChipTorque is offering for both the Mazda 3 MPS and the Mazda 6 MPS, known as the ChipTorque Custom Flash Tune. Typically a Custom Flash Tune takes 4 to 5 hours of custom dyno tuning time, but this can change depending on the vehicle's specific modifications. This service is only available at ChipTorque (Gold Coast) in conjunction with custom tuning the vehicle on one of our dynos.

We are looking to provide nationwide support for flash tuning, in time. This will be achieved by successfully developing ChipTorque's Ezy-FLASH product line to be compatible with the Mazda vehicle range. But this is still in development stages for the Mazda. Now that ChipTorque are altering and flash tuning directly the factory ECU, development steps involve setting up communication between the factory ECU and the Ezy-FLASH hardware. Additionally we are implementing a licensed tuning software package so that other tuners can custom tune vehicles with the Ezy-FLASH product, for all vehicles supported with Ezy-FLASH.

There is a fair bit of information on our website about Ezy-FLASH so I'd encourage you to check that out if you're interested to know more about this product.

. . . . . . . . . . .

29/09/2009

Although ChipTorque are now confidently able to Flash the ECU through our custom flash tuning service, we have a hurdle to overcome to be able to pair the Flash Tune software upgrade with the Ezy-FLASH hardware. Specifically the ECU recovery method is where our development focus is at present. This event could occur when users were reflashing their vehicle using the Ezy-FLASH.

Explanation: If there were certain critical events that occurred during the Flashing process using Ezy-FLASH, it is possible to corrupt the ECU data to a point where the ECU cannot be communicated with from the outside pins anymore. These events would include insufficient Battery Voltage, and disconnecting (or poor connection) of the programming cable at a specific point in the process. If these events all occurred at the wrong times, the ECU will become junk. With the EVO and Subaru application, before ChipTorque released the Ezy-FLASH, we had managed to find ways around these problems to recover from “Bad Flash”, using a recovery process in the Ezy-FLASH product, or worse case scenario, say if the programming cable was completely disconnected prior to the Ezy-FLASH recovery, by sending the ECU and Ezy-FLASH to ChipTorque. We are still working on this solution for the Mazda to ensure robust and trouble-free operation for our future customers and Ezy-FLASH users.

This is what is slowing down our development process. We hope to find a solution shortly and advise you all of the release.

. . . . . . . . . .

14/11/2009

ChipTorque's development for Ezy-FLASH to support Mazda MPS has had some recent breakthroughs. We have been able to make the reflash recovery process more fail safe. During earlier development we had found that if a reflash went wrong then it would render the vehicle's ECU dead. We now have found and developed a process that allows the prevention of this occurrence in most instances and a recovery process to recovery the ECU in such events.

Additionally we have begun creating a new model of Ezy-FLASH. Currently we support other model vehicle's with Ezy-FLASH. The new model Ezy-FLASH PRO will also support Mazdas.

Release date should be 2010. We will require beta testers prior to the release and will let you know when we are looking for participants.

. . . . . . . . . .

17/02/2010

Over the past couple of months the Ezy-FLASH development team have been working on several projects including:
    • Introduction of new model – the “Ezy-FLASH Pro” for the existing supported vehicle makes like Subaru. This has involved a change of hardware which allows us to incorporate support for various previous and current programming systems across multiple manufacturers including Mazda.
    • Creation and implementation of a licensed tuning software package to enable dyno tuners to custom tune vehicles locally utilizing the new Ezy-FLASH Pro product.

The implementation of this development to include the MPS Mazda range has presented some other unexpected difficulties that we had hoped might still have been completed by the end of February. The design team met again this morning to assess the Mazda release. Unfortunately, our timeline for beta testing in late February will not be met. Be assured, however, that we are working toward Beta testing in the near future and then release into the greater market as soon as possible after that.

Although it may appear to some that we are not progressing fast enough in getting a Flash tuning device completed for the Mazda 3 & 6 MPS, be assured that the development we have undertaken in creating a new Ezy-FLASH Pro hardware device and licensed tuning software are great advancements in getting ChipTorque a couple of steps closer to being able to supply the best product, Australia wide, that you guys can have tuned locally.

In the interim, of course, we are still able to provide Custom Flash Tunes for the Gen I MPS vehicles here at our Nerang, Gold Coast facility.

. . . . . . . . . .

25/03/2010

ChipTorque's development team are completing the development of our licenced tuning software Tune Manager Pro which I have been told is about 80% complete. Our time is being spent setting up the software with one of the major tasks being the Pass Through Programming function. Pass Through Programming will be handy in the custom tuning of vehicle's as this will deliver a more streamlined process when custom tuning vehicles.

Mazda development is still going on in the background, and will be the sole focus of our development team once the above has been completed.

I am not quoting any timeframes, as I'd like to avoid disappointing the Mazda community. The team say that all development has taken longer than originally anticipated.

Proposed Ezy-Flash Pro pricing for Mazda

Please note that the cost of the Ezy-FLASH Pro for Mazda is not definite. To understand the following cost scenario’s please firstly read the following definitions.

Ezy-FLASH Pro is a hardware device to store tune data for reflashing aftermarket tunes directly to the vehicle’s ECU. This device will also provide additional data log & diagnostic functions.

Custom Flash Tune is a labour service provided by ChipTorque, typically performed by our tuner on the dyno.

Tune Manager Pro will be the Licensed tuning software for Ezy-FLASH Pro. Other Dyno Tuning outlets will be able to provide custom flash tuning services to Ezy-FLASH Pro users once ready for use.

Tune Set is a group of alternative tunes installed into the Ezy-FLASH Pro. At this time these will be based on variations of the custom flash tune, to suit alternate boost level, fuel types and tune objectives.

2WD Dyno Custom Flash Tune at ChipTorque $1000
    4WD Dyno Custom Flash Tune at ChipTorque $1120
    Ezy-FLASH Pro device no tunes $895
    Ezy-FLASH Pro with 2WD Dyno Custom Flash Tune at ChipTorque $1895
    Ezy-FLASH Pro with 4WD Dyno Custom Flash Tune at ChipTorque $2015
    2WD Dyno custom retune of ChipTorque Custom Flash Tune $200 per hour
    4WD Dyno custom retune of ChipTorque Custom Flash Tune $280 per hour

For customers wanting their existing ChipTorque Custom Flash Tune integrated into an Ezy-FLASH Pro, ChipTorque plan to offer this at the cost of the purchase of the Ezy-FLASH Pro device no tunes, for a limited time once we have the product available. This will involve ChipTorque’s tuner creating the tune set for your car based on your custom flash tune and reflashing your vehicle back to its original factory tune prior to the installation of the Ezy-FLASH Pro. This means that we’d either need to see the vehicle or ECU at ChipTorque to perform this process.
    follow us on twitter - http://twitter.com/chiptorque

Looking forward the the end results

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Looking forward the the end results
    That is of you still have a MPS by then

CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

4. Default

Is there the possibility for a set of standard tunes that would suit unmodded/lightly modded vehicles, eg. just an SRI? Or will all MPS's require custom tuning?

5. Default

Yes there is a possibility for mail order Flash Tunes or set of tunes. We would recommend before and after dyno analysis to confirm accuracy. The reason we are not offering this option at this time is due to the variations we have seen from vehicle to vehicle, hence the request for a before dyno run for our tuners to assess if we were to look to create a mail order tune.

SRI's are not considered basic mods (from a tuning perspective) as each brand / variation creates substantial changes to the amount of measured air by the air flow meter, which affects the tuning considerably.

Leah @ CT

I really should use my voucher soon

7. Default

Yes you should definately take advantage of your voucher! Is there any reason why you're holding off?

Leah @ CT

variations vehicle to vehicle on "stock or lightly modded" cars?? how much variation?

9. Default

The variations are enough to say that at this time we would prefer to either see the vehicle on our dyno or have dyno data provided from another dyno outlet before and after ChipTorque's upgrade to ensure accuarcy.

The Tune Manager Pro tuning software that we have been and are still developing will give dyno tuners the tools to custom tune supported vehicles on their own dyno, which should give you, the vehicle owner, the best and safest end result.

The plan is that the dyno tuner could provide this service in one of two ways:
    1. Check car on dyno with ChipTorque tune set in the Ezy-FLASH Pro. If they feel a change is required they can provide data log and air fuel ratio dyno graph back to ChipTorque, where we will make change to the tune set then email it to the dyno tuner for an upload into the Ezy-FLASH Pro. We normally include this service one time when purchasing the ChipTorque tune set, additional fees may be charged for extra changes.
    2. Custom dyno tune the vehicle from scratch using Tune Manager Pro tuning software.

how far away are we from the ezy flash pro software, im looking forward to this as i would like to be able to reflash my ecu back after mazda service does their downgrades...

11. Default

The Ezy-FLASH development team have completed the first release stage of the Tune Manager Pro tuning software for Ezy-FLASH Pro. Tune Manager Pro is currently supporting Subaru only (Mazda to come).

This means that the development focus can now shift back to Mazda!

We are currently converting all our prior Mazda development from Ezy-FLASH V3C format to Ezy-FLASH Pro format. We are looking to support Gen 1 3MPS, 6MPS & CX-7.

The development team are looking to streamline the Ezy-FLASH Pro functions to make it as quick to use as possible. This is because we have found certain processes on Mazda vehicles are slow (when compared to Subaru). In particular the first connection to a new vehicle takes approximately 30 minutes to read the initial ROM (current tune in vehicle ECU). Previous models of Ezy-FLASH incorporated this as a mandatory process. With the Mazda Ezy-FLASH Pro we are looking to make this an optional process.

Basically if you know your vehicle has a standard Mazda tune, there’s no point in waiting 30 minutes to read the initial ROM. If you haven’t read your vehicle’s initial ROM, when unlocking the Ezy-FLASH Pro product from your Mazda it will reflash the current standard Mazda initial ROM into the factory ECU. But if you know that your vehicle has a modded flash tune that you don’t want to lose, then it is recommended that you invest 30 minutes to read your vehicle’s initial ROM. You will be able to download and save the inital ROM from your locked Ezy-FLASH Pro using the companion software.

I am cringing slightly as I type this (don’t want to disappoint you all by not meeting deadlines) but ChipTorque’s current timeframe estimate for Beta testing of the Mazda Ezy-FLASH Pro is 2 months (August 2010)!

Also, we are looking for a local CX-7 to be a test car. If anyone’s interested please PM me.

Leah @ CT

Hi Leah,

Has a development date been discussed in regards to a Mazda 3 Gen 2 flash?

Do you know if this is on the program at all?

13. Default

PM sent

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Hi Leah,

Has a development date been discussed in regards to a Mazda 3 Gen 2 flash?

Do you know if this is on the program at all?
    Not at this time. XEDE Processors are the way to go for the Gen 2's (as you know )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 60TGO View Post
    PM sent
    I was almost going to suggest you
    Not Gone...just "busy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Road Laino
    It's not blue screen of death Kent, it's Auora Blue screen of death

Quote Originally Posted by ChipTorque View Post
    Not at this time. XEDE Processors are the way to go for the Gen 2's (as you know )
    Hmm... I spoke with someone at chiptorque last week and I was told the flash will be coming. And it was originally hoped to be done already.
    Are you saying there is NO Development date even being discussed now?

17. Default

Yes I am saying there is no development date being discussed now for Gen 2 Mazda 3 MPS Flash Tuning. I have checked with Matt here @ CT, who I think you spoke with, his recollection is that he said "there is a possibility that flash tuning could be available toward the end of the year". Please refer to my previous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    I was almost going to suggest you
    Too bad...i got in before you..

The power of Facebook

Happy Motoring
    duglet

19. Default

Development has been going well for the Mazda Ezy-FLASH Pro and we have been able to successfully perform the following processes on our ECU bench test rig:

• Live Data Display (5 screenfuls of 4 data parameters)
    • DTC read (with descriptions) and clear
    • Reflashing (lock/unlock/reflash etc)
    We are now wanting to see our first beta test car so we can look at these processes on a vehicle. The head development tech is on holidays this week, so I will be looking to organise this from next week.

A good beta test car would be:
    • Someone local to the Gold Coast area
    • Who has an existing ChipTorque Flash Tune in their 3 or 6 MPS
    • Would be prepared to leave their vehicle at ChipTorque for up to 2 business day
    • Willing to assist ChipTorque with our development

Please PM me if you're interested.

Leah @ CT
    Last edited by ChipTorque; 06-07-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fix fonts

Boy would i love to help. Not sure I am close enough to the coast to be able to drop in at any time.

If no one else volunteers then I will try my best to make it possible.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast