User Tag List

Thread: New key and in-car MP3 player system

1. Default New key and in-car MP3 player system

I know I have an RX8 and not an MPS, but I figured you were all intelligent people and would have some sort of idea anyway!

I picked up the car on Saturday and noticed that the key is split - one bit for the central locking and a separate key for the ignition. This irritates me greatly, and I was wondering if Mazda would be able to program me new keys for the car like the current fold away central locking keys for the MPS and other 3 models? And what they'd charge me for the privilege.

My other question is that I would like to be able to play my mp3 player through the stereo as I could with my SP23 (the little adaptor inside the centre console). The last owner has installed some weird after-market mp3 adaptor in the RX8, but it doesn't work properly and I hate after-market things. Does anyone know if Mazda would be able to install a proper mp3 adaptor in the car?

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries

From the quick look I just had, it looks like the rx8 takes the same Ipod or MP3 adapter as the 3 and the 6.

3. Default

Well, he has some weird Ipod thing in the glove box, but what I meant was, could Mazda wire it up so it comes out of the centre console like it's supposed to?

Mazda can do anything you want.... just hand over your first born

5. Default

I see. So you're saying I'm going to pay through the nose for mere asthetic value? It just irritates me to have two keys and a stupid thing in the glove box!!

Mrs ATH! and congratulations on the Purchase

I would hazard a guess that you could buy the flip out keys and have Mazda program them for your RX-8. From memory replacement flip out keys were $200 +

Also Mazda do sell factory (approved) iPod adapters that are in the glovebox and you can use the steering wheel controls to change tracks, disc up/down changes playlists etc, I've got one in my 6 which was about $350 from memory. Doesn't Mr ATH have a nice aftermarket iPod thingy that works properly?
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

7. Default

Well that's the thing. There is an iPod adaptor in the glovebox. I hate it being in the glovebox, and I don't want it taking control over my mp3 player. Plus, it's for an iPod, and I don't and never will have one of those. There's also an after-market mp3 player attachment thing just sitting in the dash, but when it's plugged in, the sound only comes out of one speaker. Not to mention it's ugly. So really I just want a proper Mazda system that: a) doesn't go in the glovebox; and b) doesn't take over the mp3 player. Basically, I just want Mazda to install one of those plug thingies that my SP23 had in the centre console, that I bought a cable for that fit my mp3 player.

I wish Mr ATH would come on here to explain it better. I'm useless at describing car stuff. He'd be able to tell you what's currently in the car better than I can.

Blog Entries

Don't panic...I'm here!

There is an official Mazda iPod connector in the glovebox of the RX-8 currently. I'm pretty sure you can change it to an "aux in" option can't you?? That's what we want to do.

The other set up in the car is for that reason (aux-in) but it's a terrible set up. I want to rip it out!

9. Default

No, no, no. That's not what I want to do. That's your solution. I want a plug in the centre console like my sp23 had. I hate the glovebox thing. I still want to be able to control my mp3 player without the stereo taking it over.

Didn't realise you didn't have an iPod (should've read better) Easy fix, though some of the experts here may be able to answer it better. Most of the Stereo head units (HU) should have the ability for an aux input, it was included on later models not 2004. So all it would take is to remove the HU find the aux input and run a cable from there under the centre console and into the compartment, whilst the HU is out, you can remove the iPod adapter and sell it. Mazda or a good stereo place can do this, or maybe the Brissie guys can lend a hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Armthehomeless View Post
    No, no, no. That's not what I want to do. That's your solution. I want a plug in the centre console like my sp23 had. I hate the glovebox thing. I still want to be able to control my mp3 player without the stereo taking it over.
    Essentially you want an aux in (headphone type jack) in the center console?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Armthehomeless View Post
    No, no, no. That's not what I want to do.
    Rowan, you should know better
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Essentially you want an aux in (headphone type jack) in the center console?
    Yes, exactly!!

from memory the RX8 had one of these ?? my mates did ?? unless he got it put there by mazda... center console that is...

so if there was one there at some point.. any auto elec or Mazda should be able to just re hook it all up and ditch the other cables that you don't want.. ??

see another reason you should have got an MPS.........

14. Default

Ha. I like to keep my spine intact when I drive...

Just reread your first post, depending on cable length you should be able to take that adaptor out of the glovebox and relocate it to the centre console quite easily. Should be within Rowan's capabilities! Otherwise the info below may help...

--------------

Is there an AUX input available as standard on the RX8 head unit (anyone out there know)? If so what you're after is pretty simple and will only need a 3.5mm stereo jack to RCA lead, which you could run under/through the centre console to hide it. One of these:

If there isn't an AUX in available then the simplest solution may be to resort to an FM transmitter like this:

Otherwise I have heard of a circuit board that plugs into the head unit which gives AUX inputs, but's that's a fair bit of screwing around compared to the above solutions. Link here.
    Sylfex

Can the glovebox Ipod connector be intercepted, rerouted or piggybacked off? Is it actually the Ipod rectangular connection or something else?
    Last edited by TD; 21-07-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Blog Entries

17. Default

Regarding the key, I spoke to a Mazda guy yesterday when picking up my auto lights kit, and he said they don't recommend getting a new flip-out key as "it might not work." I'm confused. If I was to lose my current key, wouldn't they have to reprogram me a key then? So what's the difference between getting a new key because I've lost one, or getting a new key because I want one device instead of two separate things?

Anyone have any idea?

They also said I would have to pay the full price for the key even if it didn't work (about $350).

The only thing that comes to mind, is the old style keys had the immobiliser bits in the actual key, and the new style flip keys have them in the upper part of the key (or so I have been told), so as the tech said, the new flip keys probably won't work with your car due to the immobiliser

Mrs ATH if you were to lose your current keys then Mazda would probably supply you the same style as you have now for the above reason.

Shame though as I prefer the flip keys to the old style

Blog Entries

Well I've installed the auto-lights. Pretty easy job really. Getting the screws back in was the most difficult part.

I also installed a line filter to try and minimise some of the interference through the stereo. Might take a look at the amp tomorrow and rip it all out if I'm bored.