User Tag List

Thread: Airbag light

Default Airbag light

Anyone had the airbag light on the instrument cluster come on?
    I was driving from Brisbane to Bundaberg yesterday and hit a bump with a bit a thud and the light decided to come on. I stopped and disconnected the neg battery terminal to reset the computer but didn't help.
    Anyone had this problem and know how much it costs to get fixed?

Probably check your fuses first mate.

Though I seem to remember something to do with the handbrake and the airbag light coming on too.

Also worth checking the connectors under the seats to make sure they're not loose

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Mine just randomly goes on, then when i check all the connections, and they are fine. then the light goes off.

Yesterday, it came on when i accelerated in gear 3, no bumps or nothing :S

Quote Originally Posted by SIRMPS View Post
    Has anyone found a fix for this?

Mine just randomly goes on, then when i check all the connections, and they are fine. then the light goes off.

Yesterday, it came on when i accelerated in gear 3, no bumps or nothing :S
    Mine randomly comes on too. Will stay on until I unplug and plug connectors back in. Then will stay off for usually a few weeks.

I think it's better to get these safety things checked by a qualified mechanic as you don't want the airbag not to deploy in a accident

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think it's better to get these safety things checked by a qualified mechanic as you don't want the airbag not to deploy in a accident
    Agreed but unfortunately I asked mazda twice. Said they couldn't find anything wrong and reset the system. It does seem like a fairly common, seemingly innocuous problem.

Hi All,

Just a quick update. After doing some research of some possible causes. i found out that checking the connections of the passenger seat the light went away :S

very strange, but will keep monitoring to see if it happens again.

I wouldn't be surprised at the whole seat plug being the culprit. They do have airbags and sensors in them and thankfully are probably the easiest plugs to check. I found out by accident that if you remove your headrests the light comes on, likely meaning the airbags are disabled. I had them out at the drive ins and left in a rush, forgetting to put one back in, to fix I had to put them back in and start the car back up again. I'm assuming this is because without the headrest there to prevent your head from going back too far the airbag would just break your neck...

Spray some contact cleaner into the plug terminals, might help

The airbag waring light will normally illuminate if the internal resistance of either one of the airbags or the SAS unit (deployment control module) is too high. The most likely cause is something under your seat eg. water bottle, shoes etc. has pulled on the wiring harness and is causing a build up of resistance within the connector. Do Not attempt to carry out repairs to your airbag system because we will find out (qualified Mazda Technician) :P

My light was off for ages, I put my wallet under my seat and put my hand under to get it and bumped the harness and light came back on...
    Dam it