User Tag List

Thread: Front Strut Bar For MPS 6

Default Front Strut Bar For MPS 6

Hi people,

As the title suggested, I'm after a front strut bar for MPS6.

Wouldn't mind a slightly used autoexe strut bar...

I'm on a budget here. :P

Thanks guys!

Nothing out there?

It's a bit hard to see but I have a Corksport Sturt Brace, not sure if that helps (if cheaper than the Autoexe) I got lucky and got mine second hand.

Onyx, if you are on a budget (and who isnt?) then spend your money on something that will give you better bang for ya buck.

The MPS6 really is stiff enough in the front end that any benefit from a front strut bar will be absolutely minimal.

Now if it's just the bling factor you are after then that's another story.....

Leon

Leon makes a good point. I would most likely not have got a strut if a member wasn't selling one for a good price. Quote another mate that had a strut brace on a MPS

A strut brace makes it feel like the tyres are pumped up hard
    I notice a slightly sharper aggression into cornering, but the MAIN and NOTICEABLE difference in the MPS6 is lowering the suspension.

I'll have one available in approx. 1.5 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    I'll have one available in approx. 1.5 weeks
    In Alloy or Steel?

Cheers,

Chris.

8. Default

Hi Onyx,

The front strut brace will make a big difference in your front end handling, Sharper steering with more feel in cornering.
    Depending on your budget a new Corksport FSB sell for $240.00 & are in stock.
    here's the link

Hope its not hijacking this thread but....

The consensus response to previous postings is that installing a front brace may cause potential to destabilisation of the car if only the front is stiffened. One way to do the rear would be with sway bars. Would bracing the front with the Corksport brace be compatible with say, Whiteline sway bars for the rear?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scienceman View Post
    Hope its not hijacking this thread but....

The consensus response to previous postings is that installing a front brace may cause potential to destabilisation of the car if only the front is stiffened. One way to do the rear would be with sway bars. Would bracing the front with the Corksport brace be compatible with say, Whiteline sway bars for the rear?
    or a rear brace
    here

To my knowledge no company makes swaybars from the front of the 6MPS so there is no option but the strut brace. For the rear however would there be any advantage of sway bars over a rear strut brace?

Blog Entries

Like a few have said...put the money towards a rear sway or suspension mods.

Since in both the 3 and 6 MPS the front strut towers are so close to the firewall you don't get as much movement as compared to other cars.

Just so you can make an informed decision....

The purpose of a strut brace is to tie the tops of macphearson struts together to reduce the body flex that is inherent in strut arrangements due to the concentration of forces into a small and usually weak part of the structure.

None of this is relevant to the 6MPS because they do not have struts. The 6MPS has double unequal length wishbone front suspension. The only thing a "strut brace" will achieve on a 6MPS or any car that doesn't have struts is to tie the tops of the shock absorbers together. It may change how the car feels, but it will have no effect on wheel geometry or cornering performance.

A strut brace on a car with no struts is little more than a weight-adding cosmetic addition. If your intention is to improve handling, the single most effective thing you can do to a 6MPS is add some camber to the front end.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Hi people,

As the title suggested, I'm after a front strut bar for MPS6.

Wouldn't mind a slightly used autoexe strut bar...

I'm on a budget here. :P

Thanks guys!
    Good points made by everyone, Onyx what do you want to achieve? Suspension improvements (new springs/shocks) will give you better bang for your buck, if you're after driveline improvements then Diff mounts or even a front engine mount (not rear) will improve this!
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

15. Default

The front/rear brace will help a lot & been able to install quickly / cheaply, has the advantage over installing sway bars.
    Sway bars should be more noticeable with cornering. But not every one wants to remove the rear diff & drop out the front sub frame.
    Yes the 3's front strut tower is close to the firewall, the 6 is like most other car with strut location.

I installed FSB on the wife's car first with a really good result & just before I drove it to QLD. I installed a RSB, its no STI but it has made a big difference in cornering. I have notice in switch back's the back stays flat!

Just wrote a long reply to everyone's post then Cartown decided to crash Google chrome.. Fail.

Anyway! Thanks for everyone's input! I am going to lower the car with a set of Cusco coilovers and stiffen up the entire ride. I was cornering at a 'decent' speed the other night and felt like the car is going to tip over. Not a good feeling. Better to stiffen up & go sideway.

Eventually I will get the rear sway bar with rear diff mount so I can just drop the sub frame only once!
    Getting the FSB is not for cosmetic purposes. If I were to get the CS FSB, I will get it powder coated black...

Just got an idea... Is it possible to custom made a FSB? There's no science behind it ya?

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    If your intention is to improve handling, the single most effective thing you can do to a 6MPS is add some camber to the front end.
    Hmm... Camber. That didn't cross my mind until you mention it! side way.... good!
    Addicted to Boost.