CorkSport

User Tag List

Thread: Unplanned outage

Nexus is offline Administrator

Default Unplanned outage

A power interruption took down the VIC datacentre this morning. Unfortunately I didn't spot it before I left for work, so was unable to restart the systems until lunch. Sorry for the downtime. I think we've used up about half of this years downtime for the site so far since moving (target is 99.5% uptime)

This was caused by an uninterruptible power supply that has a minor fault : It is not producing a high enough voltage on the output (210 instead of 240 Volts) - as a result a short brownout can sometimes cause the server to stall and panic-stop.

It's a known problem and the problem UPS is intended to be replaced in the near future.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 - 225/45R18 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold - Hypertech tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - PC based GPS and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift.

Dog
    Dog is offline Senior Member

You know the saying...."shit happens"....?

Know it well. It usually isn't well received in Info Tech circles.
    We are likely to have occaisional interruptions like this until that UPS is replaced. Turns out it isn't faulty - it does scale the output up to 240V under load, but I don't like the design of it now so I won't be buying the same brand again. It'll do for light loads but obviously it can't hack what it's currently supporting, even though that's only 30% load max.

There will be some more brief outages as I move stuff around, re-cable and perform maintenance. It's likely to settle over the next few months. Unlikely I'll manage 99.5% uptime for ozmps this year, but will aim for it all the same
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 - 225/45R18 - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold - Hypertech tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - PC based GPS and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift.

Another this afternoon, about 2:30 till 6:30 or so. Significant power fluctuation on the Bellarine peninsula I expect - We lost power for a second at my work office building in Geelong. I suspect it was several minutes at the datacentre. Couldn't do anything about it till I finished work. Three of four UPS gave out this time. If the faulting one had held out we may have stayed online.

I'll be sticking this and another thread for planned outages.

Some poor performance noted today and late last night. At this stage not expected to be related to router kernel updates that were performed last night but I may test that theory if I decide it's warranted. I'd suggest presently that another external web service that is integrated with our site is having some performance issues that is making for some slow page loads.

Internet outage in Geelong and Bellarine peninsula impacting VIC datacentre. 11:50PM Sat --> 12:20AM Sun. Now back online.

Unplanned outage today, apologies. Site was taken offline as a precaution due to an unexpected change in behavior of the administration tools. This type of malfunction is a red flag for admins, hence the site taken offline to be checked. After investigating and researching, I've not identified a hack and have reset the affected portion of the site software, which resolved the problem. Documentation suggests that this behavior is not unheard of for this software, although I still see if as a red flag.

It could also have been induced by bug or admin error.

For the record, In addition to periodic backups I keep snapshots of the ozmps site that are readily available. I can revert the entire site to a snapshot in seconds. In this case the most recent snapshot was a bit over a week ago. In the event that something is compromised, the quickest recovery path is to roll back to a previous clean snapshot. While the forum was closed today the red-flagged system state was frozen while the site ran off the previous snapshot.

Usually the snapshots are a little more often than that, however the thing to note is that if I revert to a snapshot and make the site live, everything entered into the site over that period - between the snapshot and the current time is unavailable and potentially lost. It can be restored from backup too, however this is a more lengthy and annoying process.
    Last edited by Nexus; 24-06-2017 at 08:48 PM.